Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AAA membership?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any experience on how Tesla roadside handles flats if you have third party wheels (Tsport)?
I recently noticed that the Phone App has a new menu for 'Roadside Assistance.'

In particular, there is a sub-menu for 'Flat Tire' with the following choices:

- One flat tire
- Multiple flat tires
- Aftermarket wheels or tires
So I guess, Tesla service might handle third party wheels differently than OEM tires or wheels?

There are few thread dealing with this issue, which might be useful to look at:

Just a heads up i work for AAA as tow operator in the bay area unless your EXTREMELY lucky and get a certified Tesla tow operator
then and only then will AAA will tow your Tesla but most likely they will tell you to go through Tesla roadside assistance to avoid any
damage and if it's not towed by someone who isn't Tesla certified then your warranty with them is void.
I believe that if you get stranded on one of the bridges or major arteries, Caltrans (California Department of Transportation)
provide an assistance service call The Bay Area Freeway Service Patrol which will tow your car free of charge to the closest exit,
to avoid any congestion, so you don't really have a choice. I hope this will not impair your warranty?

However, I am a little puzzle about your comment of 'certified Tesla tow operator', I can do some additional research on the User Manual,
but from what I remember reading was to use the 'Towing Mode' to release the Parking brake and to use the tow hook located in the frunk,
to put the car on a flatbed, or use a dolly under the rear wheel for a short distance towing but something to avoid because of the weight of the car.

I read in this forum some Tesla bad experiences with towing companies, but is dealing with Tesla really different than a typical heavy SUV or Sedan?
I tested the 'Towing Mode' which is easy to activate, but you need to be able to enter inside the car.

If you get towed and not present to open the car, like for illegal parking,
I wonder if it would be possible to put your car on a flatbed, unless using a crane?
I guess putting dolly under the rear wheels would be the best way to avoid any damage?

On the flipside, I also read complains about Tesla Road Assistance not available on weekend, especially for getting a new tire,
something which should be provided 24/7 since Tesla doesn't include any spare or emergency repair kit.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kleenerth3
I am a new Tesla Model 3 owner. Currently I have the basic AAA membership with 3 miles towing. I used it a couple of times in the last few years for jump up an ICE car when I forgot to turn off the light. I also used it once to open a rental car when I locked myself out without the key. I never had a flat tire, only slow leaking a few times.

The closest Tesla service center is 80 miles from my house. I am considering to purchase an AAA Plus membership, which give me up to 100 miles tow. Is it a good idea?

What is the chance of me using the service? I saw that people tow their car to a service center for flat tire. Can't you just tow it to a nearby tire store? Tesla roadside service do cover 50 miles tow for flat tire.
AAA in SoCal has made it clear that (1) they won't tow Teslas - see Ryan Shaw's excellent YouTube channel where he discusses this in detail), and when I needed them, they (2) won't extricate a Tesla in soft dirt. We followed Tesla's navi to take a local road to a State Hwy, and the road became hard-packed dirt - ok, I kept going- then quickly turned into a soft mass of dirt - not reassuring - and we got stuck. We were very close to town, and called AAA- they told us to wait an hour for help. It never came, as their service provider declined the call - but AAA never notified us. After two hours, they finally told us AAA couldn't do it, as they "knew" their provider would get stuck, as well, and refused the call. I called a local towing service; they came out with a Ford Ranger 4x4 who attached a rope to our tow hook and - with little effort - pulled our 2018 M3 RWD free. And I pay AAA for what, again, exactly? AAA said I could submit a claim for reimbursement - really. So - AAA owes it to their members to inform them that Tesla cars aren't covered. But I think that they'd lose their annual premiums from a lot of us if doing so. Shame on AAA. Not sure we'll continue the membership since they wouldn't help us when it was needed.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I am a new Tesla Model 3 owner. Currently I have the basic AAA membership with 3 miles towing. I used it a couple of times in the last few years for jump up an ICE car when I forgot to turn off the light. I also used it once to open a rental car when I locked myself out without the key. I never had a flat tire, only slow leaking a few times.

Same here, except that I have AAA Plus.
What are the primary differences between the Classic, Plus, and Premier levels of AAA Membership? | AAA

The closest Tesla service center is 80 miles from my house. I am considering to purchase an AAA Plus membership, which give me up to 100 miles tow. Is it a good idea?

First of all, I command your bravery for buying an automotive product with a nearest service center 80 miles away. I wouldn't have.
Under your circumstances, AAA Plus would not hurt.

What is the chance of me using the service?

With a Tesla - above average.

I saw that people tow their car to a service center for flat tire. Can't you just tow it to a nearby tire store?

Yes, absolutely.
And I would NEVER take my car to an auto dealer's service center for tire or alignment work to begin with. It's not their speciality, and they all suck at as well as overcharge for it.

Whenever I need to get tire work done, I just take a wheel (or a set of wheels) to a local DiscountTire store that is patronized by car club guys (that location does excellent work), and then bring the wheels home when the work is done.
I would never dream of towing the whole car to a tire center just for a flat. That's a massive over-kill of time and money. Then again, I have the tools and desire to work on my own cars.

You need to be careful about taking a Tesla anywhere that will lift the car as the jack-points are different than a standard car (they are internal and need to be inserted, or use a hockey puck), and if an untrained place accidentally tries to lift via the battery pack there could be damage.

That is a mid-wives tale, and 100% FUD.
Any tire store will know how to find the lifting points on any car, including Teslas.

Yes you can but I would have jack pads ready for non-Tesla technicians so they don't damage your main battery located at the bottom.

If a store is asking for your help finding lifting points or lift pucks - run away and look for another store. You are dealing with morons.

HTH,
a