Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Able to add autopilot in 2014 P85S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just test drove a used S and it didn’t appear to have adaptive cruise control or autopilot. Is there a way to add this? I’ve only driven a 3, so I wasn’t exactly sure how to engage it or find it in the driving menu? Thanks in advance for your help.

We just test drove a used S and it didn’t appear to have adaptive cruise control or autopilot. Is there a way to add this? I’ve only driven a 3, so I wasn’t exactly sure how to engage it or find it in the driving menu? Thanks in advance for your help.
The first auto-pilot hardware went into mid-September 2014 builds of Model S. If the car was built before the that it doesn't have it and it can't be added. There were about 350 P85's built with auto-pilot hardware. They are being tracked in this thread.

If you didn't see adaptive cruise control or autopilot features, it's very likely that the car was built prior to mid-September 2014, and does not have the required hardware. As others mentioned, Tesla isn't able to retrofit AP hardware onto older cars that don't have it to start with.

Tesla did build some cars after mid-September of 2014 which had Autopilot hardware that was not activated. (You had to upgrade from the Tech package to "Tech package with Autopilot," and it's possible some owners never did that.) If that was the case, you would still see "safety" features like lane departure warning, but no "convenience" features like traffic-aware cruise control.

For a definitive answer, you need to look at the lower front grille of the Model S. If it has AP1 hardware, there will be a rectangular radar sensor right in the center (see picture.) If that's present, then the car can support Autopilot. If it's missing, then you're out of luck (edit: as far as AP goes; it's still a great car to drive.)

radar.png

Last edited:
The only upgrade Tesla offers is to trade-in the vehicle and purchase a new one.

There are so many changes that retrofitting (if a kit was even available) would cost too much to be practical.