Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About that "yoke" steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1625083693320.png

Why the hell does the new MS have the PRND on the right side of the IC with no stalk, but the S/X WITH stalk on the right have PRND on the left side of the IC.

Also, are we going to lose 1/3 of the IC’s useful space with the speedo now permanently affixed to the right of the IC when it was perfectly fine top center? Tesla product management is a dumpster fire. They need a PR department again

Reactions: whitex
This is just from my own personal experience - your mileage may vary...

I have a couple days and a couple hundred miles of the yoke. In tight multi-point turnabouts, rush hour bumper to bumper, highway, lots of round abouts, etc.
1) The only place a yoke was awkward (at first) were the multipoint turn arounds. After a few time - even those were easy. I think me not wanting to hit things in the tighter spaces was more anxiety than the yoke itself.
2) Drinking my morning starbuck or a can of pop have not been an issue
3) I have always driven between 3 and 9 (and below) so it was not an issue ignoring the top half.
4) The view of the road/IC is surprisingly much better with the yoke for the way I sit and my height. I really like the openess - did not think it would be that different but it is.

The shifting is okay. Flipping it on the screen is becoming a habit more and more. Give me a few more days and it will be fine. I have had nothing but dial shifters for 5-10 years so no stalk shifting is ok.

The worst part of it for my is getting used to the buttons but that is coming along just fine. I wish the turn signal had a 3 blink option for just lane changes.

Do what you want but I would not even consider switching this out for a round one at this point. After a few decades of round wheels, this is just fine for me.

This is just from my own personal experience - your mileage may vary...

I have a couple days and a couple hundred miles of the yoke. In tight multi-point turnabouts, rush hour bumper to bumper, highway, lots of round abouts, etc.
1) The only place a yoke was awkward (at first) were the multipoint turn arounds. After a few time - even those were easy. I think me not wanting to hit things in the tighter spaces was more anxiety than the yoke itself.
2) Drinking my morning starbuck or a can of pop have not been an issue
3) I have always driven between 3 and 9 (and below) so it was not an issue ignoring the top half.
4) The view of the road/IC is surprisingly much better with the yoke for the way I sit and my height. I really like the openess - did not think it would be that different but it is.

The shifting is okay. Flipping it on the screen is becoming a habit more and more. Give me a few more days and it will be fine. I have had nothing but dial shifters for 5-10 years so no stalk shifting is ok.

The worst part of it for my is getting used to the buttons but that is coming along just fine. I wish the turn signal had a 3 blink option for just lane changes.

Do what you want but I would not even consider switching this out for a round one at this point. After a few decades of round wheels, this is just fine for me.
What is a "dial shifter"? Or was that a typo?
And thanks for the report of your experience...

That would be an interesting experiment, offer yoke owners a round wheel with stocks plus some compensation for the trouble of changing it out, see how many people would take it. People who already have it, obviously were at least willing to try to it, but once they've spent $100K on a car, confirmation bias will make them want to like it, so it the switch to round with stalks would have to be as painless as possible, maybe free as part of some other service already being done?

Reactions: Wol747 and David29
That would be an interesting experiment, offer yoke owners a round wheel with stocks plus some compensation for the trouble of changing it out, see how many people would take it. People who already have it, obviously were at least willing to try to it, but once they've spent $100K on a car, confirmation bias will make them want to like it, so it the switch to round with stalks would have to be as painless as possible, maybe free as part of some other service already being done?

I understand your point on compensation bias and I think it can be real. In my case, it is not. I do not need to justify my purchase to myself. I truly like the yoke and think it is easy to use. I would not trade it out - even in the experiment you mention.

I understand your point on compensation bias and I think it can be real. In my case, it is not. I do not need to justify my purchase to myself. I truly like the yoke and think it is easy to use. I would not trade it out - even in the experiment you mention.
Compensation bias? That's hilarious and I'm going to use that.

Thing about confirmation bias is that the people doing it aren't supposed to know they're doing it, right?

I plan to buy a model S at some point in the next year or two, even if it has a yoke. But what I'm hoping for is some refinement in the execution before that time. That said, whether refinement happens or not, when I take delivery, I expect to suspend self-awareness and believe like a true believer that I actually don't mind the yoke and maybe even like it. #pourthekoolaid 😂

Whether I like it because of confirmation bias or I like it because i like it, it does not matter because I like it and have not difficulties anymore. The turn signal buttons annoy a little still.

If I were at the dealer and they had two identical ones but one with the round and one with yoke, I would probably take the round because I, like most, do not like change and the yoke seems counter intuitive.

It also does not really matter how anyone feels about the yoke or states I am in a fantasy world for liking it. I like it and would keep it now given the choice, #pourmeadoubleofkoolaid