Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About that "yoke" steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the article on plaid in today's WSJ:

"But on a planet with parking decks and drive-thrus, the yoke is a visionary pain in the ass. It is actually quite hard to turn from lock-to-lock with one hand, as you might if you had just bought a cup of coffee in the drive-thru; or if attempting a three-point turn, using the touchscreen-based gear selector. The steering’s re-centering force is sufficient to make the yoke slip from your grip. Nor can you steer for even a second with your knee. The capacitive turn signal switches on the yoke are terrible. My error rate was about 80%."

But they did love the performance ...

Not that I really needed that confirmation, but it was enough to have me reach out to my advisor to ask them to put my order on hold for a few months. I just can't bring myself to buy a yoke without so much as a test drive. This could very well be the end of my interest in buying Teslas. I plan to keep a close eye on what other manufacturers are doing and I will be much more interested in trying something else than I would have been if the new S had been released with stalks and a normal wheel.

I had one of those early iPhone and the lack of copy and paste caused me to dump that platform for some time. It was just such a major blunder that I thought what else did they screw up. Didn't buy another iPhone until the 7 series and mainly did that because of the camera. I hope they go back to the round wheel soon. I've been driving for way too many decades and my muscle memory is trained for a round wheel in an emergency situation.

Or make it less than 1 turn lock to lock. Doubt that is happening either.
I was actually briefly considering leasing plaid (brand new refresh, should be good residual values, and let Tesla live with whatever limitations they put on the car in few years), but the yoke makes a car a complete non-starter, even if I was to convince myself I can live all the rest of Tesla shenanigans.

I'm sure there are some purists out there who use current iPhones "the right way" (according to Steve Jobs) without using copy/paste, but the rest of the public doesn't care what way Jobs wanted them to use his product, they want to use it the way they feel like using it. Same will probably apply to the Tesla yoke, except Elon is a lot more stubborn than Steve Jobs was, so he may never cave, like he didn't cave on blind spot monitoring - simple radar based BMS with indicators in mirrors still works more reliably and more intuitively than Elon's versions (there were 2 versions so far, ultrasonics for AP1 and camera based + ultrasonics for AP2-3), not to mention for people with AP2 it didn't work more than a year at all.

But I do get why Elon does this. Tesla cars are a giant test fleet, providing Tesla with immensely valuable data (I actually believe data collected on batteries is Tesla's most valuable asset today). A primary purpose for a test fleet is to test new innovations, however crazy, and not to cater to driver's needs. "Yellow screen? Who cares? It doesn't affect the data collection or safety - try to convince customers it's their own fault." When aerospace companies build experimental planes, they don't bother with comfortable passenger seats inside or making it look pretty inside either.

Last edited:

"But on a planet with parking decks and drive-thrus, the yoke is a visionary pain in the ass. It is actually quite hard to turn from lock-to-lock with one hand, as you might if you had just bought a cup of coffee in the drive-thru; or if attempting a three-point turn, using the touchscreen-based gear selector. The steering’s re-centering force is sufficient to make the yoke slip from your grip. Nor can you steer for even a second with your knee. The capacitive turn signal switches on the yoke are terrible. My error rate was about 80%."

But they did love the performance ...
Read that article this morning. He is a good reviewer and now rethinking if I should just wait on my order to see if Tesla comes out with a normal steering wheel. For all the Model S being delivered last couple days, you would think we would hear more user reviews soon on the Yoke and car, after the initial excitement winds down.

I had one of those early iPhone and the lack of copy and paste caused me to dump that platform for some time. It was just such a major blunder that I thought what else did they screw up. Didn't buy another iPhone until the 7 series and mainly did that because of the camera. I hope they go back to the round wheel soon. I've been driving for way too many decades and my muscle memory is trained for a round wheel in an emergency situation.

Or make it less than 1 turn lock to lock. Doubt that is happening either.

The original iPhone had no 3rd-party apps, so cut-and-paste wasn't a dealbreaker. Apple shipped the feature once they figured out how to integrate it into an intuitive touch interface.

Delaying this feature did not stop the iPhone from becoming a huge success, or from Apple becoming the most valuable company in history. Do we actually think the Yoke will cause MS-Plaids to pile up unsold, like the Zune? Or will they sell every single one they can make?

i think you made the right call. This reminds me of Apple removing function keys for the Touch Bar thingy and pushing everything to dongles…..why? It’s almost like the designers have wagers to see how far the sheep will follow them.

I would try it, but I doubt I would thrown down cash for half a steering wheel and no dedicated stalks.

Yes, they're doomed. DOOOOOMED!

"...It is actually quite hard to turn from lock-to-lock with one hand, as you might if you had just bought a cup of coffee in the drive-thru; or if attempting a three-point turn, using the touchscreen-based gear selector. The steering’s re-centering force is sufficient to make the yoke slip from your grip. Nor can you steer for even a second with your knee."

Here's an idea: put the coffee in your cupholder, and drive with your hands...?

The original iPhone had no 3rd-party apps, so cut-and-paste wasn't a dealbreaker. Apple shipped the feature once they figured out how to integrate it into an intuitive touch interface.

Delaying this feature did not stop the iPhone from becoming a huge success, or from Apple becoming the most valuable company in history. Do we actually think the Yoke will cause MS-Plaids to pile up unsold, like the Zune? Or will they sell every single one they can make?
They will sell every one they can make for at least a little while, but they will absolutely loose a lot of sales because of this. The refreshed S/X will have far low sales numbers long term if they stick with the yoke+stalk-less approach, and the sales they do have will mostly be to established fans with far fewer new-to-the-brand customers. Worse, it is just more evidence that Tesla has lost any good design sense they had at least from a functionality standpoint.

Yes, it was dealbreaker for me. I couldn't copy anything from the web browser. I would look something up on the web, and have to manually retype everything. It was a huge oversight from a company that prided themselves on how usable their products were.

Not everyone gets its right all the time though but you need to get the basics right. For me the lack of copy/paste was a huge miss. Can't say apple wowed me with the touch bar or the crappy keyboards had on a lot of their laptops.

I am not an Apple or Tesla fanboi. I use their products when it works for me. I don't blindly buy anything/everything they make. If it is better than a competitor's product at the time I am ready to buy, then I'll buy theirs, if not, I'll go with what works best for my situation. Just because it is a "hit" doesn't mean it is right for me.

Maybe something worked great in the environment of California, like early electric cars. When I lived in a very cold state, with harsh winters, EV's weren't a good option, especially with the limited battery capacities at the time and inefficient heating systems. But boy were electric cars and hybrids a hit in California. I wonder if they would have been as a big of a hit though if there wasn't special dispensation given to allow them to use the HOV lanes not to mention finally some with unique styling so everyone could signal their virtue. Almost nobody bought a first gen Prius when it looked like the Toyota Echo.

I don't think the yoke will is going to win many converts over from outside Tesla. When I get my S, I'll look for other wheel options if I can't stand the yoke.

Reactions: Wol747
That must be why Unplugged replaced the yoke with a round steering wheel. But as long as you're sure that they LOVE the yoke. ;)
I think you missed my point!! You cut off the rest of my "quote" My point was, they love the yoke because.......it creates an after market for them to sell full round steering wheels. As a result of Tesla going with the Yoke, those companies will take advantage of it and sell full steering wheels. So they love the yoke in the respect that it will make them money!!

Given that the Cybertruck prototype has the Yoke, it's likely that the production model will as well. This will absolutely not stop me from taking delivery at the earliest possible moment. Frankly I'll be more annoyed by the lack of a speedometer centered on the steering column where God intended it to be, lol.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Only time will tell, however do notice that Tesla managed to blow through 6 months of backorders in less than a month, since Model S was not being produced since last year and recently you could order one with less than a month out ETA.

>>.....you would think we would hear more user reviews soon on the Yoke and car, after the initial excitement winds down.<<

I'm sure there will be quite a few who will love it for the supposedly Star Wars image, but for those who buy but find it's not as user friendly as they had hoped I don't think on a purchase of this magnitude Buyers' Remorse won't be too evident!

What's the difference for copy/paste if it's 3rd party or Apple original apps? Apple had a web browser, email, and instant messaging even on the original release, so obviously they were uses for copy paste, for example if you want to copy paste content from web to emails or txt messages, or cut paste your own message you're editing on the phone.

I think you missed my point!! You cut off the rest of my "quote" My point was, they love the yoke because.......it creates an after market for them to sell full round steering wheels. As a result of Tesla going with the Yoke, those companies will take advantage of it and sell full steering wheels. So they love the yoke in the respect that it will make them money!!
Touché, I misread your post as Unplugged loving it but Tesla readying the round wheel which would allow Unplugged to sell yoke "upgrades". My bad.

The real disruption would be no wheel, only a wireless xbox controller. Would free up a lot of space.

Jokes aside, @CyberGus I believe the iPhone was the first touchscreen with a keyboard that actually worked. I had a HTC Tytn with a big screen and a virtual keyboard that was really bad. The HTC slide out physical keyboard was better. My Palm Tungsten also had an inferior virtual keyboard compared to the iPhone.

My point: correct execution of the innovation is key. Tesla yoke fails on this.

Reactions: Wol747
I'd just like to point out that there was much rendering of clothes and gnashing of teeth when Steve Jobs/Apple:
  • Removed SCSI and Parallel ports in favor of this new-fangled "Universal Serial Bus"
  • Removed diskette drives (remember those?)
  • Removed CDROM drives (remember those??)
  • Deleted all laptop ports except for USB-C/Thunderbolt
  • Removed the physical keyboard from smartphones (omg what!!)
all of which were going to be doom, DOOOOOM for everyone! Run for your lives! But I think this all turned out OK in the end.

TL;DR: visionaries are a PITA sometimes
"I'd just like to point out that there was much rendering of clothes and gnashing of teeth when Steve Jobs/Apple…"
They heated their clothes to extract the fat from them?
They gave their clothes up in payment, perhaps of taxes to Caesar?

• Funny
Reactions: David29