Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I won't obfuscate; I'll just refuse to answer. There has been a lot of speculation as to who I am and my motives, so I'll try to address some of it...

The photograph I posted is real, unedited, and uncropped; the EXIF information is also unedited. Mostly because I didn't want to waste my time doing anything to it (it did occur to me to strip the EXIF)! It is also Copyright, and the many organizations who have posted all over the web are infringing on that copyright. I've tracked a lot of them down and asked them to remove it. I work part time as a photographer, and don't take lightly to people infringing on my copyrights.

I've made a ton of money on Tesla stock, as a result of buying a lot at the IPO (Roadster owners were offered "friends-of-the-company" shares at the IPO price. I asked for, and received, an additional allocation). No "insider" trading on this photograph; I haven't changed my position in TSLA since the IPO, and the photographer-friend doesn't, and hasn't, owned any TSLA.

I'm not a shill. Although I'm "close" to a number of people at Tesla, I did not post this photograph here with their permission or even advance knowledge. I held onto it for a few weeks because I didn't want to ruin Elon's surprise, but all this photograph does it connect the letter "D" to the Model S, which Elon already did in his blog post. That this car represents an AWD model is other people's speculation. Personally, if I was doing a photo-shoot of some future Model S, I would have just badged a regular car, so MY speculation is that is what we're seeing here.

I'm a real person, although I don't have a lot of time to particulate in this forum, I'm sure that there are plenty here who can speak to my integrity. I've been an EV driver and evangelist since 1998 and my newish RAV4-EV is the 12th EV in my family (right now we have four EVs, including tzero2, two Teslas, and the 2012 RAV4-EV). You've likely seen some of my other photography, either on my web site http://www.cacoast.org/ or in Who Killed the Electric Car (I took the aerial still photographs of the EV1 graveyard).

Ken

I'll speak to his integrity. There shouldn't be any question regarding that.

Tesla to show Model 3, new sedan version Oct. 9: report

MARKETWATCH 1:41 PM ET 10/3/14
Tesla Motors Inc.(TSLA) will unveil its Model 3, the mass-market car, and new versions of the Model S sedan at the event Oct. 9, analyst Trip Chowdhry withGlobal Equities Research said in a note Friday. It is no coincidence the event is to take place in the Los Angeles area rather the San Francisco Bay Area, where the electric-car maker is headquartered: Tesla's top designer "spends almost 90% of this time in the LA Design Center," Chowdhry said. Tesla earlier Friday said the event was scheduled for 7 p.m. at theHawthorne airport. By showing a Model 3 prototype Tesla is also hoping to garner more attention from potential "gigafactory" investors, he added. The new Model S versions would have all-wheel drive and semi-autonomous driver-assistance system, which would be positive for car technology company MobileEye Technologies

Tesla to show Model 3, new sedan version Oct. 9: report - MarketWatch

Well that changes things

Yes, that would be quite an interesting "something else." :) I was initially thinking they might show a compact SUV based on the Model 3 platform, but they haven't shown a model 3 sedan yet. But then who says they have to show a Model 3 sedan before a Model 3 compact SUV?

As a Model X reservation holder (4,787), I'm hoping for news on the X, but a model 3 sedan or compact SUV prototype would be pretty sweet.

-CB

Tesla Motors Inc.(TSLA) will unveil its Model 3, the mass-market car, and new versions of the Model S sedan at the event Oct. 9, analyst Trip Chowdhry withGlobal Equities Research said in a note Friday. It is no coincidence the event is to take place in the Los Angeles area rather the San Francisco Bay Area, where the electric-car maker is headquartered: Tesla's top designer "spends almost 90% of this time in the LA Design Center," Chowdhry said. Tesla earlier Friday said the event was scheduled for 7 p.m. at theHawthorne airport. By showing a Model 3 prototype Tesla is also hoping to garner more attention from potential "gigafactory" investors, he added. The new Model S versions would have all-wheel drive and semi-autonomous driver-assistance system, which would be positive for car technology company MobileEye Technologies

An early alpha of the Model 3 would make some sense, given that they've already promised to have it at next year's Detroit Auto Show. I wonder if they'll take deposits....

That would be huge and I will also be double disappointed to not have an invite as a Model 3 has always been the car I wanted (well, we'll see I guess)

Last edited:

Given that Tesla has (so far) taken ~3 years between a prototype reveal and the actual product release a Model ≡/Model 3 reveal could very well be the "something else".

The "something else" could be a a truck based on the Model S/X platform (although highly unlikely). Elon mentioned that a about a year ago but there hasn't been anything since. He had said:
"If you’re trying to replace the most gasoline miles driven, you have to look at what people are buying. That’s the best selling car in America. If people are voting that’s their car, then that’s the car we have to deliver.”

I won't obfuscate; I'll just refuse to answer. There has been a lot of speculation as to who I am and my motives, so I'll try to address some of it...

The photograph I posted is real, unedited, and uncropped; the EXIF information is also unedited. Mostly because I didn't want to waste my time doing anything to it (it did occur to me to strip the EXIF)! It is also Copyright, and the many organizations who have posted all over the web are infringing on that copyright. I've tracked a lot of them down and asked them to remove it. I work part time as a photographer, and don't take lightly to people infringing on my copyrights.

I've made a ton of money on Tesla stock, as a result of buying a lot at the IPO (Roadster owners were offered "friends-of-the-company" shares at the IPO price. I asked for, and received, an additional allocation). No "insider" trading on this photograph; I haven't changed my position in TSLA since the IPO, and the photographer-friend doesn't, and hasn't, owned any TSLA.

I'm not a shill. Although I'm "close" to a number of people at Tesla, I did not post this photograph here with their permission or even advance knowledge. I held onto it for a few weeks because I didn't want to ruin Elon's surprise, but all this photograph does it connect the letter "D" to the Model S, which Elon already did in his blog post. That this car represents an AWD model is other people's speculation. Personally, if I was doing a photo-shoot of some future Model S, I would have just badged a regular car, so MY speculation is that is what we're seeing here.

I'm a real person, although I don't have a lot of time to particulate in this forum, I'm sure that there are plenty here who can speak to my integrity. I've been an EV driver and evangelist since 1998 and my newish RAV4-EV is the 12th EV in my family (right now we have four EVs, including tzero2, two Teslas, and the 2012 RAV4-EV). You've likely seen some of my other photography, either on my web site http://www.cacoast.org/ or in Who Killed the Electric Car (I took the aerial still photographs of the EV1 graveyard).

Ken

Damn, super classy response. Ken, you seem like a great guy.

View attachment 60614
Apparently there are others.....

Umm, I suspect that one is a fake...
17 license plates that prove Tesla owners REALLY love their cars - Network A
45760?crop=none.jpg

The P85D logo looks crooked and seems to just have been copied/pasted from the original "Inyokern" car...

(Edit: I see others have already decided it was faked.)

Last edited:

I thought you were #4... Did old #2 & #3 drop out?

- - - Updated - - -

Given that Tesla has (so far) taken ~3 years between a prototype reveal and the actual product release a Model ≡/Model 3 reveal could very well be the "something else".

Well, um, if you want to take Elon's tweets very literally, he did say he was glad he didn't mention the other LETTER.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/517509858971504640

So, you could presume he wasn't talking about the number 3.

I see several references to the need for two inverters to control conversion from DC to AC, one for each motor. Why? Wouldn't it be easier to have one inverter and some kind of controller outputting different loads to each motor. Somewhere there must be a controller for that output since it would be desirable to have different power to every wheel using some kind of traction or torque sensor. Just a display of my ignorance. I got a D in the mandatory "Electrical Engineering" course at M.I.T. in a galaxy far far away and over sixty years ago. (I was a whiz at fluids, however, thanks to Ascher Shapiro and a few others.)

I see several references to the need for two inverters to control conversion from DC to AC, one for each motor. Why? Wouldn't it be easier to have one inverter and some kind of controller outputting different loads to each motor. Somewhere there must be a controller for that output since it would be desirable to have different power to every wheel using some kind of traction or torque sensor. Just a display of my ignorance. I got a D in the mandatory "Electrical Engineering" course at M.I.T. in a galaxy far far away and over sixty years ago. (I was a whiz at fluids, however, thanks to Ascher Shapiro and a few others.)

Umm... The reason the car has an inverter in the first place is to match the phase of the field it generates to the position of the motor's rotor. Unless both motors are always in exactly the same phase and rotating at the same speed, they need different field timing.

We're also expecting Tesla to gear the front drive motor much shorter, so that they can get more efficiency on the highway from using it over the main motor - which would be impossible with a single inverter.
Walter

This could be the "something else" but I am not going to bet on it. Remember this was the guy who was saying there would be a second factory being built in January and other really bullish comments that are a bit over the top.