Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like there may be something surprising. Like Dual Motor will be standard across all models, maybe except for S60. Wouldn't that just drive sales even that much more? That would be crazy and would further incentive the S85 and above... of course I don't believe this would happen just due to margins.

I feel like there may be something surprising. Like Dual Motor will be standard across all models, maybe except for S60. Wouldn't that just drive sales even that much more? That would be crazy and would further incentive the S85 and above... of course I don't believe this would happen just due to margins.

I forgot to mention to everyone... with the motor in the front, your going to lose the "microwave" compartment on the front trunk... they don't call them the frunk anymore for some reason at Tesla motors.. lol So with that said I'm not sure if they will change and apply it to all the models since.. you do lose a little storage space.. in my opinion it would work better as an option.

That's probably not going to be a cheap retrofit

Yea I don't think so neither.. it's not just the seats but the actual material will be branded differently, just like "Nappa" leather... well in that case it's just a marketing thing.. hehe

- dividing power could help reduce heating issues

Actually I'm really hoping they improved upon the cooling capacity of the batteries.. the way I drive, I always hit the power limiter and the A/C condenser fans are always going off at full speed to chill the battery down. So dividing power would help reduce heating on the motors (which I believe are cooled by the center radiator) but either way the battery cooling would have to be increased if your going to draw more power out of the same battery pack. I already average 460 kw/mile over 21,000 miles lol!

Another reason why I highly doubt it'll be standard.. (I could be wrong) is.. the entire dual motor setup isn't retrofitable.. the entire front subframe is a different design... ;)

Larry

Last edited:

"don't appreciate the magnitude" could mean that all Model S cars will be fitted with the dual motors from now on, just as the Model X will be. (initially there was going to be a 2-wheel drive version of the Model X)

This would leave the Model 3 as the only one without all-wheel-drive, which may not stay that way, or, it could go forwards with the Model S/X as the upper echelon product line that has all-wheel-drive as standard, but the cheaper product lines only offer it as an option.

Don't forget, Tesla are over 25% profit on cars at the moment... it wouldn't kill them to include the extra motor parts, and they'd get the cachet of all Tesla cars are all-wheel-drive. This would put to rest the discussions about dropping the base price of the Model S, etc..

And - if all the "Gen 2" cars (Model X and Model S) have standard all-wheel-drive, it would make things on the assembly lines easier, as you don't have to track dual or single motor manufacture.

Finally, and perhaps crucially, we are fairly certain the front motor is smaller and uses less KWh/mile than the back motor. And, that the rear motor is only used for heavy acceleration, the front motor doing most of the work inc. cruising (at any speed). Also, the contribution to "thrust" by each of these motors is very quickly and very smoothly controllable by the car's software such that you can't tell which motor/s is/are driving the car. Perhaps you end up using only the smaller motor most of the time? If despite the extra weight gain (75lb? 100lb?), the dual motor solution has resulted in MORE RANGE out of the same size battery, it would enhance all Tesla cars going forwards simply by including it. Elon is very much into that sort of ongoing improvement, plus, driving range is still a bugbear for electric cars (even the Model S) so any way to improve it would be of high value.

Perhaps both motors contributing to battery regen (via four wheels contributing, rather than only two), can somehow translate to more miles recovered through regen? (not sure of the engineering involved)

Better traction & safety, more even tire wear => life out of the tires, more driving range... no brainer!!!

If I am correct then this could be the magnitude thing Elon refers to.

Bodes well for the pickup truck model that is mooted for down the road... you can bet it will be all-wheel-drive.

The only question would then be... what about the 60,000 rear-wheel-drive cars on the road, including mine... are they retrofittable?

Elon has been talking about Autopilot in the last several months many times. He said aswell, all it needs is a CAMERA, SOME SENSORS and A RADAR (!!!). He said all cars next year will be capable of Autopilot. Since September 19th, they started integrating this Hardware into the new production cars. So, Blindspot and ACC is for sure coming since people already got the ACC Stalks in new cars too.

Check the recent Interview with Walter Isaacson on Google:

Elon Says: "One of the things is already there, and people just don't realize it."

We all are not taking the autopilot thingy too serious and while there weren't that many new features in the Software 6.0, it could explain what they have been really focusing on. Isn't it quite obvious to you guys, that they will unveil Autopilot (at least for highway)??? That's probably the "something else" and D for Dual Motor.

What would be REALLY interesting, would be to learn that Tesla upgraded the 85kW battery to 100kW about 6 months ago and didn't tell anybody, that they've been cycle testing and such over the last 6 months, and that they're now confident enough in the performance that they're going to turn the capability on. Of course that's probably not realistic. :biggrin:

Actually I'm really hoping they improved upon the cooling capacity of the batteries.. the way I drive, I always hit the power limiter and the A/C condenser fans are always going off at full speed to chill the battery down. So dividing power would help reduce heating on the motors (which I believe are cooled by the center radiator) but either way the battery cooling would have to be increased if your going to draw more power out of the same battery pack. I already average 460 kw/mile over 21,000 miles lol!

Yes, sorry, I meant "overheating" or "cooling". So that's the point I was looking for.

Sorry for interrupting your discussion but I'd like to know if somone will be there and do something like a Livestream or tweeting about what's going on at the Event. As I know islandbayy could livestream but I don't know if he actually will.

I'm from Germany and will have to wake up in the middle of the night and it would be great to not wake up for nothing :biggrin:

Thanks

the way I drive, I always hit the power limiter and the A/C condenser fans are always going off at full speed to chill the battery down. So dividing power would help reduce heating on the motors (which I believe are cooled by the center radiator) but either way the battery cooling would have to be increased if your going to draw more power out of the same battery pack. I already average 460 kw/mile over 21,000 miles lol!
Larry

How many drive units have you been-through?

Sorry for interrupting your discussion but I'd like to know if somone will be there and do something like a Livestream or tweeting about what's going on at the Event. As I know islandbayy could livestream but I don't know if he actually will.

I'm from Germany and will have to wake up in the middle of the night and it would be great to not wake up for nothing :biggrin:

Thanks

I think that it's very well possible that Tesla Motors will arrange a livestream themeselves from their own website.

After the latest clues from Elon on Vanity Fair, I've revised my theories to the following.

"D" = Driver Assist
This is the directionally correct but wrong magnitude item. I believe they are going to enable a suite of "safety" features that will full under this category including ACC, lane holding, and sign reading. It's going to be so safe that if you got into your desired lane after the highway onramp and "accidentally lost attention", it would continue seamlessly towards your exit from the highway. The key is that it's not going to be pitched as autonomous driving, just a suite of active safety features called Driver Assist. They will emphasize this does NOT change or bypass any distracted driving laws and will NOT recommend you let the car run itself without being attentive at the helm… but if one did in good visibility they would probably be ok. Branding it as safety effectively lets them implement autopilot without waiting for laws and regulations to catch up, and also broadcasts the right caveats to potential users that it's not meant to be autonomous driving.
-> This lines up with Elon's comments that as you approach the upper limits of active safety, it becomes autopilot
-> Would provide the highway onramp to offramp claims Elon has been making
-> Would make a lot of sense that we have the right direction but are not appreciating the magnitude

Dual Motor drive
Pretty much what everyone already knows here, plus probably a battery capacity bump from the improvements since early 2012 since they are doing a step change disruption on the ordering options.

Something else = New Roadster
Assuming Elon did in fact mean there would be no significant reveals on X or 3 tonight, there will be a refreshed Roadster revealed. He will explain that he knows the world doesn't need another sports car but rather the more affordable Model 3 but since the latter won't be available until the Gigafactory is ready, and in the meantime they can help demonstrate electric is the ultimate driving machine with a super-halo Roadster car that can do sub 3s 0-60.
-> Lines up with Elon's comments on the "R&D is better than it seems", "significant product announcements", "not showing all our cards"
-> Ambiguous 400-mile 'cool thing' for Roadster owners
-> Also would make sense if the other twitter letter was "R" it would be too obvious

Personally I hope I'm wrong about the Roadster and that it's a stationary storage product reveal instead… that would also fit most of the hints except for an obvious letter. My dream product announcement would be a Hyperloop vehicle concept.

As I know islandbayy already contacted Tesla to get pernission for livestreaming the event but don't know if he got an answer.
I don't think Tesla themeselfes will do a Livestream. They more likely are going to upload a video the day after.

so is the Model S going to transform into a jet and take off? lol

I would assume they are doing this at the airport to demonstrate a 1/4 mile time under 10 seconds for a stock P85D+. ;)

Would make sense... it's daylight. The 7pm event in California is after dark.

Sorry to bring up the subject of the stock market on this thread... :) but that is right after the closing bell, so, it must be a big deal.