Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As posted by @SolarGuy back in May, it could be a Tesla-only version of the Airbus E-Fan prototype...

Here's the 2.0 version of the all electric Airbus model
Airbus Group - Airbus Group Innovations’ E-Roadmap takes flight!
Latest-news_4-29-2014_E-Roadmap_Photo-1.2014-07-08-19-33-19.jpg

True story...........I was supposed to take delivery of my new P85+ performance loaded at the end of September. The car arrived with a huge crease in the hood and cracks in the A pillar. I agreed to let the service center send it out to get repaired. The car returned yesterday and did not meet Tesla's standards, so I was left with two choices a new car or get my money back. They had reserved a production slot for the beginning of November in case a replacement was needed. I have elected to take a replacement. The DS in Milford/Mt.Kisco stated that there are new "features" to be announced today and that my new car for the November production would be eligable for these new "options" Needless to say I have elected to go ahead and take the November slot. Also to state the obvious he confirmed all but AWD but gave me wink. I have to admidt I am so disappointed in Tesla holding 141k of my money with no solution other then an early build however I am excited for the new toys!!!!!!!! Here is a picture of the hood and pillars by the way.

This all but confirms AWD for me and Driver Assist with the acknowledgement from someone at Tesla

I know it sucks to have to wait. More so when they have your money. If it makes you feel any better, some of us waited for 4 years to get our cars. It was hard at times but definitely worth it! Maybe they can give you one or two of the new extra cost items to compensate you for all your extra time and trouble.

Some random thoughts:

4. I have this sinking feeling that tomorrow's announcements will include some new thing that *some* existing S owners will be able to do, but not all. Maybe the line is drawn at whoever has parking sensors and who doesn't. (They weren't available when I ordered.) We'll see.

I was in a Tesla store Sunday (10/5) to configure a model S. When we came to the parking sensor option I said "don't think so". The Advisor gently hinted that that option was "important and definitely worth considering". This feature could be part of the drive assist set of sensors. Will it become standard? We'll know soon.

...why hold the event at the airport?...

I understand about the possibility for Tesla to demo "D"ual motor performance, even offering test drives down the runway for VIPs to experience the awesome performance...still I think there's something more behind the event being held there...something too obvious and yet Tesla amazing for us to guess...

It's not about a drag race -- it's about showing off the autopilot features to a crowd. The best place to do that is at an airport.

I was in a Tesla store Sunday (10/5) to configure a model S. When we came to the parking sensor option I said "don't think so".

In my opinion, that $500 is the best money you'll spend for this car if it is a daily driver and not just a Sunday driver. Speaking as a owner of a 2012, I'd pay $4000 to retrofit them but not the $7800 quoted to me by the service center. I feel so strongly about it that I'd recommend Tesla include the sensors in the base car and stop including it as an option. This car is too large not to have parking sensors.

I know the event is for 7pm PST, but anyone know when is the earliest attendees could show up? Wondering if someone may tweet about a hyperloop tube on the runway or something while the market is open.

If this is like past events, they might let some press in early to take photos without the crowds. In that case, I think they are supposed to be "embargoed" from publishing the story until the event actually starts, but sometimes someone "jumps the gun" and leaks something a bit early. If you showed up early, you might find something going on, but might not be let in without press credentials.

Note, I don't know if this event will work that way - just mentioning what I observed in the past.

I was in a Tesla store Sunday (10/5) to configure a model S. When we came to the parking sensor option I said "don't think so". The Advisor gently hinted that that option was "important and definitely worth considering". This feature could be part of the drive assist set of sensors. Will it become standard? We'll know soon.

I love my Model S, but if I'd had an inkling of when parking sensors and such were going to be available, I would have waited. Plus, with the money I'd have held in TSLA while waiting, I'd could have paid off my house :(.

Oh well, advances are good. My S is going to drop massively in resale value, but I was planning on driving it for 15 years anyway.

I love my Model S, but if I'd had an inkling of when parking sensors and such were going to be available, I would have waited. Plus, with the money I'd have held in TSLA while waiting, I'd could have paid off my house :(.

Oh well, advances are good. My S is going to drop massively in resale value, but I was planning on driving it for 15 years anyway.

Yeah I'm worried about the resale value as well.

Despite the Presidential TFR, the runway at Hawthorne (HHR) is not closed or scheduled to be closed. As I said back here: About time to unveil the D and something else - Page 45 the FAA is not going to let a private company shut down the only runway at a class B public airport for a product demo.

I would not be surprised if they show videos of the D run on one of the runways at IYK: About time to unveil the D and something else - Page 47

Of course they would only need to 'shut down' Hawthorne airport for less than 3 seconds. Or maybe 11 seconds if Elon and company do a quarter mile tonight. :biggrin:

OK, there could be a minute to get the Model S set at the runway threshold, but I don't think the airport would necessarily have to be 'shut down'. Or, perhaps a section of the apron could be coned off for a 0-60 demonstration.

Hyperloop wouldn't be a TESLA based product/project. It would be some other separate entity.

Was meant as a joke :)

But on that note Elon was undecided on that last year when an analyst asked him on the 2013 Q2 conference call. The proposal itself calls for the vehicle within the tube to be electric and powered by batteries... so if it were to happen, it wouldn't be a surprise if Tesla was involved as a subcontractor or something.

Here is a picture of the hood and pillars by the way.

This all but confirms AWD for me and Driver Assist with the acknowledgement from someone at Tesla

View attachment 61037

Wow. Something serious had to have happened on the way to where you are picking it up. Did they have an explanation for how it happened? It looks like something hit the hood while it was up at just the right angle to snap the metal. I can't imagine it was anything but a crazy fluke.

Yeah I'm worried about the resale value as well.

Just a gentle reminder that might help ease you and everyone else worried about this. I re-ran the cost models, at least for me, based on what I am paying for insurance, electricity, tires, service center visits, and the cost of the car, and then assuming resale values against a Mercedes S-Class both in 2004 (10 year) and 2009 (5 year) and in both cases I still make out in the positive on my car.

I really don't see how the Model S would possibly drop value worse than an S-Class, since that is practically a worst case scenario since you are lucky to hold a 50% value on those after just 3 years. So as long as we don't somehow do worse than an S-Class, we will be perfectly fine. As of right now, because Tesla still can't make enough cars, it doesn't matter what they release, people will pay a pretty penny for their hands on a Tesla.

Now, on top of that, keep in mind that Tesla is financially incentivised to control the resale value of their CPO MS's whenever that starts since they don't want to lose money on the buy back. That would be VERY BAD for investors and the cash flow of the company (you can kiss all those non-GAAP numbers goodbye) and I just don't see it happening.

Second the car is well made and the major components have a crazy good (and transferable) warranty on them.

I feel confident that you will get more than one would reasonably expect to get out of a 90k luxury/performance vehicle.

PS my estimated 10year TCO is looking at around 92-94k and I paid 96k for my car. I call that a win, since you almost ALWAYS go deeply into the negative on any car you buy.

True story...........I was supposed to take delivery of my new P85+ performance loaded at the end of September. The car arrived with a huge crease in the hood and cracks in the A pillar. I agreed to let the service center send it out to get repaired. The car returned yesterday and did not meet Tesla's standards, so I was left with two choices a new car or get my money back. They had reserved a production slot for the beginning of November in case a replacement was needed. I have elected to take a replacement. The DS in Milford/Mt.Kisco stated that there are new "features" to be announced today and that my new car for the November production would be eligable for these new "options" Needless to say I have elected to go ahead and take the November slot. Also to state the obvious he confirmed all but AWD but gave me wink. I have to admidt I am so disappointed in Tesla holding 141k of my money with no solution other then an early build however I am excited for the new toys!!!!!!!! Here is a picture of the hood and pillars by the way.

I am curious what happens to cars like this. Do they get fixed and used as loaners until finally sold? Crushed and scrapped? Get held onto for some other purpose?