Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is 40kWh with lacewood, so it is now a winged unicorn. I have not seen many other cars with lacewood... It may not have been popular enough for Tesla to keep, but I love it!
If you ever sell it please please please report in on TMC. I'd love to see how the 40/60s fare in the used market over time.

- - - Updated - - -

3.2 seconds?!? 3.2! Mind. Blown.
I'm, um, signficantly excited to see how much of this awesome makes it to Model 3. And next gen Roadster - drool.

Also note that the P85D does not include Supercharging but the 85D does, acc to Design Studio.

This is incorrect. Although it doesn't show up in the content box, it is indeed in the selected options.

Model_S_Design_Studio___Tesla_Motors.png

This is incorrect. Although it doesn't show up in the content box, it is indeed in the selected options.
Mea culpa. I was tricked by bad website design. Thanks for the correction.

- - - Updated - - -

September 15th
Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning
The manual that is now displayed in my car with 6.0 had some surprises that I have not seen announced.

October 1st
About time to unveil the D and something else
Elon Musk on Twitter:

October 10th
http://www.teslamotors.com/ said:
Autopilot and Dual Motor All Wheel Drive

Now, granted, the two features were only part of half of the announcement at the event, but I find it kind of amusing that Elon was "scooped" by his own car's firmware almost a month before he made the official announcement.

Maybe he's right to be nervous about AI.

Have D version also the Frunk? Same capacity or smaller?
And are new seats ventilated - did you see small holes in leather?

Frunk in d doesn't have the back cubby - the "microwave". Note that the supposed D they were showing prior to the test rides was a D for "decoy" or "dummy" in that it had the new seats and tires (supposedly - didn't confirm tires), but didn't actually have the front motor, so it still had the frunk cubby, unlike the "real" D's which were all on the track.

Didn't notice perforations in the new seats, but they felt great to me as far as front seats go. Back seats, honestly didn't notice a difference when taking the test ride, but they are different.

Hmm. How about a 180hp mid-size some time after 2017?

I saw that one coming.
No... I need the size and range of the MS for hauling the family. But wouldn't mind a lower priced lower performance version.
I actually think it would help the general sales as well but since Tesla are production constrained for now it doesn't matter. Bettter for them to try to increase the margin.

With that said, I already have a S85 and it's great. But I would have chosen lower performance if it came with a lower price. Lease expires mid 2017 so I guess I'll drive the current one until then...

I really want to be excited about this announcement but I just am not. The 3.2 seconds 0-60 will garner a lot of press but I don't think it will really be useful day to day and I don't see it feeling so remarkably different than a 3.9 or 4.2 that the existing RWD cars can achieve.. I have no need for AWD and actually do use the microwave area regularly. I have driven one car (Mercedes) and owned one car (2014 MDX with Advance package-now sold for a car without such features) that can do pretty much what was shown last night in terms of driving themselves and I found it to be a gimmick more than a feature. Maybe Tesla's version will be different but I don't need a car to pull itself in. (Especially when I still have to follow it in and plug it up) since I have to go through the garage to go in the house anyway. Seats look cool though. Not unhappy with my old Gen 1 seats unlike some people. Lets also note that the range improvements are all @ 55 mph whereas I think the old ranges were based on @ 65 mph. Could just be some more of Tesla's twisting of the facts (my least favorite aspect of the company BTW). Overall, I am sure it will be useful for many people but it's not making me think about hitting the order button. I am very happy with my old, outdated P85+. I drank the kool aid but I'm not drunk on the stuff...
None of last nights announcements fixed existing issues for me (third row ventilation, good rear cupholders) or pushed buttons on my options list that might make me want to upgrade (higher end interior, considerably higher range, cooled seats,differentiated styling that says "Hey, I got the Mac Daddy version" a la M series or AMG versions).
All in all, good for Tesla and for more press but sort of like going from an iphone 4 to a 4s. Adding Siri and a better processor isn't worth upgrading.

I really want to be excited about this announcement but I just am not. The 3.2 seconds 0-60 will garner a lot of press but I don't think it will really be useful day to day and I don't see it feeling so remarkably different than a 3.9 or 4.2 that the existing RWD cars can achieve.. I have no need for AWD and actually do use the microwave area regularly. I have driven one car (Mercedes) and owned one car (2014 MDX with Advance package-now sold for a car without such features) that can do pretty much what was shown last night in terms of driving themselves and I found it to be a gimmick more than a feature. Maybe Tesla's version will be different but I don't need a car to pull itself in. (Especially when I still have to follow it in and plug it up) since I have to go through the garage to go in the house anyway. Seats look cool though. Not unhappy with my old Gen 1 seats unlike some people. Lets also note that the range improvements are all @ 55 mph whereas I think the old ranges were based on @ 65 mph. Could just be some more of Tesla's twisting of the facts (my least favorite aspect of the company BTW). Overall, I am sure it will be useful for many people but it's not making me think about hitting the order button. I am very happy with my old, outdated P85+. I drank the kool aid but I'm not drunk on the stuff...
None of last nights announcements fixed existing issues for me (third row ventilation, good rear cupholders) or pushed buttons on my options list that might make me want to upgrade (higher end interior, considerably higher range, cooled seats,differentiated styling that says "Hey, I got the Mac Daddy version" a la M series or AMG versions).
All in all, good for Tesla and for more press but sort of like going from an iphone 4 to a 4s. Adding Siri and a better processor isn't worth upgrading.

Agree with some of your concerns but range is listed at 65mph not 55mph.
65 mph.PNG

You don't want AWD, but according to current sales and sales trends many people do. Importantly, because the S is single-geared, the AWD systems increases efficiency. So, AWD, slightly improved performance, slightly improved efficiency and slightly improved range. I don't really need AWD myself, even here, because my driving is in cities and on main roads, but personally I think that the addition of real AWD to a real BEV at a reasonable premium that pays a little back through efficiency and increased range is an extremely big deal. I agree with Elon Musk that many people are not appreciating the magnitude. It's also an important pointer for Model 3/Y: now people know that AWD is going to cost no more than $4k and in all likelihood less than $4k.

My reaction to the 3.2s thing was "OK, that's impressive but ...", and I'm very glad that there's substance beneath the headlines.