Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yeah, the new products look awesome, event went very well, even the mishaps made it part of a perfectly genuine reveal.

How many other car companies use their CEO to walk you through specific product improvements at the L.A. Auto Show, Detroit Motor Show et. al?

I am glad I have my P85 and will keep it without all the DA and the AWD... I'll just get into it and drive it around a bit right quick, to make sure of that though :)

I can't wait to see this:

1) revised match up of the BMW i8 and the P85D whose cost is a bit closer to the i8 base price now. The P85D appears to literally crap all over the i8 in every possible way.

2) new drag strip videos of the P85D versus the usual suspects - Vipers, Corvettes, Lamborghinis, Audi RS7 and the upstart USA gas-guzzlers like the Hellcat.

3) examinations of track performance and high-speed longevity (155mph on the Autobahn? Does it assuage the Germans?)

4) scratch all our old estimates of driving range now that the S85D gets 295 miles @ 65mph, which, if my experience is anything to go by, is a believable claim. The next battery size (which I'm guessing is 110KWh and they're waiting to unveil with the Model X) may catapult the S85D 382 miles @ 65mph. (gulp)

5) obviously the P85D does not mean much to the mass market, nor to Tesla's plans to convert all cars away from gasoline to electric. However, all these new cars show Tesla's fast-improving energy efficiency and engineering prowess. If the S85D is getting 295 miles out of 85KWh, that bodes really well for the base Model "3D" which ought to easily be able to do 200 miles on a 40KWh battery in 2017.

6) reviews of snow performance and wet road performance, even driving on rough terrain, why not!

Well said! I have said it before and I will say it again. Thank you early adopters for both the Roadster and the Model S. Without you taking the risk to buy these innovative new products and telling the rest of us how great they are then we'd be in the dark. You took the risk and bought the products, in most cases untested and sight unseen. So thank you. I can't wait to own a Model S of my own since I can't let you have all of the fun! :wink:

In the same way that new purchasers today will keep things moving until the model 3 arrives. Earlier adopters took more leap of faith than later purchasers.

My grandfather was a civil engineer, and his work and purchase of his hp calculator back in the early 70s helped make way for later awesomeness too. :) I have his calculator on my desk at work.

WOW. Just WOW. Screw Model X.
Ordered the new P85D as soon as we got out of the test-drive car.

lol Really?

I'm more inclined to wait for the Model X information first at least, before I go for a P85D.

I'm interested to see whether a Model X P85D will do a similar 0-60 or come out with a larger battery size. Then considering I'm 6ft9in and 420lbs, I'd probably get that,

Looks like the + has been quietly put out to pasture.
I believe I called this one.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe the price difference is because on the P85 AWD, it includes the tech package, smart air suspension, and 21" wheels in the price. On the 60 and 85 AWD they are separate options.
Also note that the P85D does not include Supercharging but the 85D does, acc to Design Studio.

- - - Updated - - -

After witnessing the announcements tonight, if any of the sig owners or other early adopters -- like me -- feel remorse tonight, just remember: we, especially the sig owners, helped to make tonight possible. Without you, this next of what will be many significant upgrades (not to mention production of the X and III) would not have been possible.
+1 for positive outlook. The purchases and investments of the past fund the future advancements.

- - - Updated - - -

HPWC dropped from $1200 to $750 (as anticipated in some other threads)
I noticed this in the (updated) Design Studio, but not the general store. Hopefully they just forgot to update the store.