Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abstract Ocean LED Lighting w/o Premium Pckg?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to add on, installed the 11 bulbs in my non-premium AP2 Model X.

The under-seat brackets for the bulbs are already installed in my AP2 car, which was great. The wire under the driver's seat is loose and easily accessible with minimal effort. The wire under the passenger seat is zip tied as @MiddKid stated above. In my Model X, it is zip tide to the bulb housing/bracket itself via small hole in the side of the bracket. I was able to easily cut the zip tie with a utility knife on the underside of the bracket that faces the floor of the car. This method completely avoids risking cutting the wire itself. Once the zip tie is cut, the wire can be fished through the bracket hole to connect the bulb.

The 2 hardest were the glovebox and rear door hatch bulbs. I tried to push the rear hatch bulb out from behind by opening the emergency release panel. However, I couldn't apply enough force to push it through. I had to use a screwdriver with a microfiber cloth to keep jamming up the bulb to force it free. Luckily no visible damage.

All in all, very happy with the results. Thank you Abstract Ocean, and thank you TMC community for all the helpful info!

Reactions: pete8314
HELP!

I changed all the bulbs relatively easily, with the worst one being the rear hatch light. Had to pry it open so hard, was almost like going through childbirth!

The only one left is the light under the passenger seat. I found the wire zip ties as shown in the photo below, but I can’t for the life of me find an opening large enough for me to safely reach in and cut the zip tie without risking cutting the wire. I’m able to put my hand in, but there’s no more room to see what I’m doing. And I don’t know how to remove the fabric to open up the space.

Advice?

A1D9F7AA-10AC-4320-A8E2-24384BF929CC.jpeg

That's a great photo. I don't have the newer seats, so I'm going to have to defer to some of the other experts on this thread. Although things would get a bit crowded, could you have someone hold your phone with the camera running, and you're maneuvering the snippers using the camera for guidance? Keyhole surgery, Tesla style!

We received our MX, non-pup, yesterday, vin 0654XXX, and installed the AO high intensity LEDs today. It did have leds under the front row seats to light the foot spaces for the second row. Furthermore, Tesla has now installed a bar with a bracket to hold the LED under the seats rather than using a zip tie to the bar. With the seat raised as far as possible, there was plenty of room to get in and pop the LED out.
IMG_0990.jpg
IMG_0978.jpg

Here is a shot of the bar and bracket. You can see the hole in the bracket where the LED goes. The wires for power are right there too.
The second shot shows the LED in place in the bracket. Both driver and passenger seats have the bracket.

When I had the door panels off on my last Tesla, we forgot to plug one of the light strips back in before putting the panel back on and had to take everything back off. Perhaps Tesla has just not plugged them in? Only one way to find out!

Thanks Erik

Someone looked at the PUP vs. Non-PUP on a similar thread and discovered both versions are wired in by default, but controlled via software. They were planning to wire the strips to an alternate power source that would bypass the software, but have not reported back as of now.

Last edited:
I believe abstract ocean carries the brackets for beneath the front seats to mount the light onto. I am about to attempt to see if my Model S car has the wired connections under the seats and on each side in the trunk and if so, I will order the brackets and additional LEDs to do that install. I have already switched out 4 LEDs, the trunk, puddle lights x2, and the drivers floorboard. I found this you tube video really helpful.
For model s:

For model X

Reactions: boaterva and DÆrik
One comment on replacing the lights mounted in the thin plastic. It’s a lot better (I don’t know about easier) to remove them from the back. I believe Tesla mounts these in the panel before it’s put into place and that’s why it’s so hard to remove from the front. These include the lift gate and driver/passenger foot wells on the X. I scratched my passenger footwell slightly before getting the driver one out from the rear since you can get your hand in back slightly.

The liftgate is the same, where ideally you’d remove the whole panel, but that’s a nightmare. There’s no perfect way to get a tool in between the light and the thin plastic but a thin dinner knife seems to be best. It may be a one time use for the knife. :D

Erik’s videos above are a good overview and Teslarati also has a good article also on the X locations and process.

Agree, back in the early S's the liftgate bulb was the easiest to remove (although that was my tet location, so probably lose after time because of that). Now it's a pain to pop out, and the plastic trim tools might struggle to remove it. Best bet is to you a small flat screwdriver, with so tape to protect the trim plastic, but, this is at the risk that the outgoing bulb might crack. Like this, ensuring you get the screwdriver under the 'notch' in the bulb.

bulb.jpg

I just installed all 13 Abstract Ocean LEDs throughout my Model X using a flat head screwdriver. Several were pretty difficult but I managed to extract all of them and replace with the AO LEDs which are beautiful. I am a female so if I can do without damaging my X, anyone can do it! I did sheer off a layer of one of my knuckles even while wearing latex gloves, but hey, better my knuckle than my X. :)

I just installed all 13 Abstract Ocean LEDs throughout my Model X using a flat head screwdriver. Several were pretty difficult but I managed to extract all of them and replace with the AO LEDs which are beautiful. I am a female so if I can do without damaging my X, anyone can do it! I did sheer off a layer of one of my knuckles even while wearing latex gloves, but hey, better my knuckle than my X. :)

Pictures?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Hi All,

I just finished installing the complete set of Abstract Ocean light kit in my PUP X.
I read this thread long ago just enough to remember the name "Abstract Ocean."

The original lights on the X were pretty dim and needed upgrading.

I misread someone's quote about "upgrading the inferior lighting on the Model X."
It was right either way...

I bought the Abstract Ocean spudger tool for $8.99 I highly recommend it.

I did the upgrade in my garage with fairly bright lighting.

The lights usually mentioned as most difficult: the glove box and trunk lid were OK with the AO spudger tool.

My main problem was not re-reading the article before the install.
With PUP or just the age of the X there were brackets under the front seats for the lights.
My problem was replacing the light under the passenger seat.
My arms, hands, shoulders, and elbows were all in the way with the light removed and hanging out 3/4."
It was a "son of a biscuit."
I should have read about cutting the harness loose... oh well...

Now I'm "done" but I still have four LEDs not installed.
The puddle lights were so dim in the garage that I could not see the light on the floor.
Remembering the AO logo puddle lights prodded my memory to replace them.
Still two lights left...
My wife has had the S for two and a half years.
I am coming from an ICE...
Oh yeah, the frunk... All installed now.

Very nice upgrade - very good lighting - Don't forget the spudger...

Shawn

An update that would not fit above:

I did notice 2 revision levels of the lights that I removed:
1007151-00-D were smooth shiny plastic just like the AO replacements.
1007151-00-E had a rough outer surface. It looked like that area of the mold had been sand blasted.

Shawn