TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AC odor removal and cleaning

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Lanzer, Jun 8, 2019.

1. BOBEDIGITL

BOBEDIGITL Member

Had a service appointment today at the Buena Park SC for an unrelated issue. Told them about the smell coming from the vents when using the AC and the SA said it was a known problem that would be fixed via a firmware update. He said that when too much moisture is getting trapped, odors can happen. So the update is apparently going to make the fan work a little more to make that moisture go away before automatically shutting down....his explanation o_O Didn't say anything about changing the filter or anything like that. Who knows.

2. Reid_S

Reid_S Member

Still a little bitter, so I'm getting these instead of giving Tesla money for the OEM filters:
    Model 3 HEPA Cabin Air Filter Replacement

Hopefully the activated charcoal keeps them from smelling funky. We'll see...

3. Atari2600

Atari2600 Member

Do the filters touch the evaporator and get wet? Come to think of it I've never owned a car where the filters were this close. Just brainstorming...

4. plasmo

plasmo Member

Nice, I didn't see these filters before... however almost 2x the price... plus the order page is miseleading (doesn't actually include a can of Foam Cleaner), however Tesla Raj says it's better...

5. vickh

vickh Active Member

interesting that new filters would have that smell @ high temparature. I wonder if the problem is with the filter. Let us know if the problem goes away after swap

6. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I dont recall seeing anything in the filter box that would prevent them from leaning up against the coils unless the foam surrounding the coils does. Either way they are only separated by less than an inch.

They are raised above the drain channels at the bottom by some plastic diverters, but would be in contact with the foam down there. If the foam is open cell and gets wet, then the bottom filter will be getting wet too.

7. vickh

vickh Active Member

are any of the after market filters better quality then Tesla. Maybe "biohazard" Model S quality :)

8. derotam

derotam Member

Just know what you are buying there...those do not adhere to the HEPA standard by a long shot.... And the Tesla filters have activated charcoal I them also, maybe not as much but it is still there.

• Like x 1
  9. Reid_S

Reid_S Member

Might be complete trash, but I refuse to give Tesla a dime for something that should be covered under warranty.

• Like x 1
  10. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

It's actually almost 3x the price (the Tesla filters cost $34/pair).

11. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Say more? Why? (Not doubting, just want to learn)

My concern with them was about airflow. Would they be too restrictive?

• Like x 1
  12. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

3 weeks after cleaning the evaporator and replacing the filters I’ve had absolutely no foul odors. I’m confident I’ve resolved the issue with my 3.

• Informative x 1
  13. mmccking

mmccking Member

3 weeks after running my heat on high with the AC on and windows down for 20 minutes, twice within the same day...no more bad smell. Burned a few percent of battery (4% if I recall correctly), but at least it got rid of the sour smell.

The other "trick" I've been doing now is to NOT manually turn off the AC before leaving the car. Instead, let the car run its own course.

BTW, this is even with the original filters after 23k miles. I bought new ones, but since the smell is gone, I've gone lazy.

14. plasmo

plasmo Member

Same here - FINALLY - for the first time, no more vinegar vomit smell anymore, even after leaving the car outside in 87 degree heat which previously triggered the terrible smell.

After cleaning the evaporator + replacing filters = no more smell !!!

15. mobilesuit818

mobilesuit818 Member

L to the [email protected]#[email protected] A
    I searched but didnt find anything on where we can order Tesla filters, except thru Tesla.

Tesla performed the cleaning/filter replacement about 6 months ago on wifey's car and even with leaving the circ off, smell has come back with such fierceness.

We do park in garage with LA dry weather.

Made a service appt and will see if I can order the filters myself.

Also ordered the cleaner and Ozone machine.,

The other HEPA filters for $99 for a set is a ripoff in my opinion but if there supply and demand laws will still apply here

• Like x 1
  16. Common_Loon

Common_Loon Member

Beware that this will likely drastically reduce airflow through your system and increase strain on the fan motors.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  17. 08micev

08micev Member

I made a video on this for those who do not want to pay tesla service.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. XLR82XS

XLR82XS Member

:rolleyes:

19. Common_Loon

Common_Loon Member

FYI: I had the funk in my AC, but didn't have the time to order filters (Austin service dept is out of them - of course) or clean the evaporator prior to a road trip. My solution was to run the heater on high (I plugged in to my charger and opened the garage door to ventilate the heat some) for about one hour (use the app to turn it on!). This seems to have dried it out and killed the spores, because I've got no odors for now.
    Last month I'd done a 30 minute purge in this manner which didn't seem to have helped very much. The 1 hour was a game changer. The electricity cost would have been minimal compared to new filters, etc. I'm still going to do the full swap and clean eventually, but this will buy me time with no odors.

• Helpful x 2
  20. Common_Loon

Common_Loon Member

Don't roll your eyes at me. I know filtration systems and their effects on airflow because it's a large part of my job in regulating industrial air pollution. If this is doing what is claimed, it's like putting a hyper-efficient (i.e. higher filtration) filter on your home HVAC system. That will lead to much higher electrical bills, and increased wear and tear on your HVAC.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1