Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC odor removal and cleaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so I am working on treatment #2 based on @jgrgnt method. I am not using any spray, because I don’t have any on hand, just doing a 2nd ozone treatment.

I built the bag over the intake cowl like suggested, and set up my ozone generator on the frunk area.

69B70FC0-9D06-4EB2-AD32-D656D38BA068.jpeg

I then didn’t read any of the other details in his post :oops: so set my fan to fresh, 10 fan speed, I turned on all vents and AC on. 10 fan speed was too high, so don’t do that. The ozone generator wasn’t putting out enough airspeed for that. It was a little overwhelmed at 1 fan speed, but didn’t seem too bad. I am just doing 15 minutes this time vs the 30 I did the first time.

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus
Upgraded my borescope to a nice wireless depstech from Amazon. Got more photos of the innards of the system.

Here is the inside of the blower fan:
A6E26700-CD60-4835-BCF9-D8CACC751618.jpeg

You can see some gunk collecting at the fin bases:
786AF9EF-BF5E-42D8-964E-E602A283B872.jpeg

Here is the evaporator and filter box bottom:
88B4A256-CFA0-4E07-A472-2D3A63D32152.jpeg

Here is a closer view of the drainage system:
F0E9AC76-3AE3-48AB-9175-1A0D0494A9FF.jpeg

Here is the blower fan outlet into the filter case:

47BD5923-4142-41A9-9CF4-CCA1B2149D86.jpeg

Here is looking down at the base of the coils between the foam:
138BB483-A003-4303-B33B-3481E56704EE.jpeg

Here is the drain:
9D2E95BD-F0E1-48D9-9E27-60E328D17ADF.jpeg

Another view of the drain:
761ED8E3-72D6-405C-AAAE-A6F9970B1202.jpeg

I notice you have junk from the blower running down as well. I wonder why that is.

I am guessing some water must get in when it rains and the vent is set to fresh air. Doesn’t rain much here (less than 5” a year) so mine is probably dust and other gook that occasionally gets wetted down by a small amount of water. Would be interesting to see the interior of one from Houston or Florida with daily rainstorms.

Reactions: megapixel
Ok, so I am working on treatment #2 based on @jgrgnt method. I am not using any spray, because I don’t have any on hand, just doing a 2nd ozone treatment.

I built the bag over the intake cowl like suggested, and set up my ozone generator on the frunk area.

View attachment 448820

I then didn’t read any of the other details in his post :oops: so set my fan to fresh, 10 fan speed, I turned on all vents and AC on. 10 fan speed was too high, so don’t do that. The ozone generator wasn’t putting out enough airspeed for that. It was a little overwhelmed at 1 fan speed, but didn’t seem too bad. I am just doing 15 minutes this time vs the 30 I did the first time.

Nice setup!

Yup, the ozone generator barely keeps up with the intake vacuum, even at minimum fan speed. But even a 15 minute treatment should help.

The total was $63. Filters are $17 each, and they only offered one shipping option - fast and expensive. I'm waiting until it cools down here to do the cleaning and filter replacement, but I'll be doing it myself.
replace-cabin-air-filter.gif

How long did Tesla take to ship out the filters to you with your expensive shipping???
I already Paid for my filters (Tesla charged my CC) 10 days ago, and still nothing in the mail.

I just talked to Tesla service and she said that they have a new procedure/process for this and it's less than a month since they have been doing it. They will do the evaporator cleaning for $110. They will check the filter and if it needs to be replaced that is an additional ~$80. They also said via text "Additionally, a firmware update will soon run the HVAC blower after the vehicle shut down to dry off condensation from the evaporator."

We will see when they come out on 7/29 to fix the problem!

That's unhealthy. If there are mold spores in teh ac unit there are mold spores in teh filters and more importantly, those won't necessarily be obvious by visual inspection. The filters should be changed out as a health matter.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
A quick update on mine. I tried the ozone approach. I performed 3 separate 10 mins treatments using the same existing filter and can report now that after a few weeks - the smell seems to have resolved. I am a bit surprised by this as I thought I would need to do the treatments PLUS replace the cabin filters but it seems to just fine not having to replace using this system. YMMV.

Great ozone treatments worked but not practical for most. Have appt Friday but don't know if I'll be able to get off work. Annoying I can't book appt via app except 8-2:30 Mon-Fri. Yes, i asked for mobile but knew it'd be unlikely. Fwiw I haven't had smell in two weeks either but haven't used AC much either. Still want to get cleaned and filters swapped before winter.

I just talked to Tesla service and she said that they have a new procedure/process for this and it's less than a month since they have been doing it. They will do the evaporator cleaning for $110. They will check the filter and if it needs to be replaced that is an additional ~$80. They also said via text "Additionally, a firmware update will soon run the HVAC blower after the vehicle shut down to dry off condensation from the evaporator."

We will see when they come out on 7/29 to fix the problem!

Still have smell. Not sure if they did firmware update or if it's even effective??

In the interim I run the HVAC Fan blower and turn off ac as i'm getting close to home. Should it be on recirculate and high speed/10?

Still have smell. Not sure if they did firmware update or if it's even effective??
You can check yourself: if you park the car after having used the A/C, the fan will come on about 10-15 minutes later. I'm not exactly sure which firmware version added this, but by now everyone should have it.
In the interim I run the HVAC Fan blower and turn off ac as i'm getting close to home.
That could possibly be counterproductive (since the above may not work if the A/C isn't on when you park, although I haven't tested that yet).

That's unhealthy. If there are mold spores in teh ac unit there are mold spores in teh filters and more importantly, those won't necessarily be obvious by visual inspection. The filters should be changed out as a health matter.

This is likely not mold you smell.
Mold has a different smell. This is likely bacteria you smell.
Even if there was a small amount of mold, the amount of spores you would get from this very small amount is far less than the spores already floating around outside, on your clothes, or in your home.
The only way to tell, is do an air sampling in the car. My bet is you would find no more mold spores in the car than naturally found outside the car.

The health risk to this odour, is likely as risky as the air your breathing outside, or in your own home.

Reactions: Common_Loon