Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost 2022 (UK)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys. I'm currently in the market to purchase a Model 3 in the next couple months to replace my ICE. Currently coming from an RS3 8V FL so I'm ideally wanting to keep the performance.

I did have my decision set in stone for a LR then purchasing the performance boost for £1500. However, I've heard it's no longer available on the refreshed 2022 model with the larger capacity batteries. Is that correct?

I'm also looking to get the car on lease, which I believe you can't get it anyway through lease (even if was available), unless the lease company agrees to purchase it through them. Just trying to think whether I go for the LR and hope it becomes available to the refreshed 2022 model, or make the stretch for the performance model.

That doesn't actually match my experience. Off the line feels exactly the same to as it did pre-boost without the instantaneous G-force of the P model but from about 20mph when already moving there is a very noticeable difference to a standard LR but nothing compared to the P.

In those circumstances the boost is especially useful for overtaking safely - you are right though, it is more than quick enough off the line either way.

(I have driven another LR & a P since adding AB to mine, the LR for several days in 2021)
Okay, for sake of argument then let's say you get from 20-60 mph half a second faster with AB. Does that make any difference to real world overtaking ability? I don't think so. Overtaking in any Tesla has never been an issue with the lightning quick response and most of my critical overtakes are in the 40-70 mph range anyway where AB wouldn't make any difference.

So for me AB is one of those tempting upgrades that doesn't really make any sense when you give it some thought. If you costed out the £1500 over the number of times you actually used that extra 0.5 sec, it might not seem like great value. Going full gas at 20 mph in a M3 LR is not something I do very often (unless I want passengers complaining and my coffee cup flying into the back window) and I'm by no means a slow driver (ex F1 race engineer, ex petrol head). Now if there was a hypothetical boost upgrade in the 40-80 mph range I might sign up for it! But even then, probably not. The M3 LR is a car that already has plenty enough power for its own chassis ability/weight.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Upvote 0
I wonder how AB will fair in the used market? will it add a proportion of its value. no reason to retain anything like full since anyone can add at any point for full value and who would not rather have a car without and add than one already with costs being equal.
OR
could it actually de-value the car since people will think the owner is a boy racer and worry about the impact on the battery and drivetrain? + any effect on insurance since the second hand market is more cost sensitive.

Also given how much relatively worse the Performance retains value in the used market (a 2019 P is only a couple of grand more than an LR) won't people just go there if they want more power?

Reactions: Peteski
Upvote 0
I wonder how AB will fair in the used market? will it add a proportion of its value. no reason to retain anything like full since anyone can add at any point for full value and who would not rather have a car without and add than one already with costs being equal.
OR
could it actually de-value the car since people will think the owner is a boy racer and worry about the impact on the battery and drivetrain? + any effect on insurance since the second hand market is more cost sensitive.

Also given how much relatively worse the Performance retains value in the used market (a 2019 P is only a couple of grand more than an LR) won't people just go there if they want more power?
I definitely wouldn't buy a used M3 with AB. Might as well advertise it as being thrashed!

Reactions: Adopado
Upvote 0
You will probably forget all about AB after a while. I briefly thought about adding it to our M3 and never bothered in the end. It's quick enough off the line anyway and once you're rolling above 30 mph AB makes no difference.
Doesn't match with my experience either.

I have AB and find it makes the car a lot more responsive across all speeds - more so at lower speeds than higher but a definite difference. It is 50hp so not insignificant.

I drove my friends LR (non AB), the other day and really noticed the difference going back to a standard LR.

It's a matter of personal taste, yes it's quick enough anyway but the same could be said for any tuning chip/software upgrade on any high performance car, but if you're an enthusiast, then you'll enjoy it.

Reactions: blert
Upvote 0
Doesn't match with my experience either.

I have AB and find it makes the car a lot more responsive across all speeds - more so at lower speeds than higher but a definite difference. It is 50hp so not insignificant.

I drove my friends LR (non AB), the other day and really noticed the difference going back to a standard LR.

It's a matter of personal taste, yes it's quick enough anyway but the same could be said for any tuning chip/software upgrade on any high performance car, but if you're an enthusiast, then you'll enjoy it.
Definitely a matter of personal opinion. I agree it's a relatively cheap 50 hp, but I just don't think it's worth it in this case. If you really do go full throttle most of the time when accelerating in this car then of course it makes sense to boost it. But as I find myself modulating the throttle 99% of the time I don't see much real world gain. It's only going to make your driving less smooth and nobody will be impressed with that.

Upvote 0
I have AB and think that it did make a noticeable difference throughout the speed range although would admit that it's pretty unnecessary and the standard car is more than quick enough for 99% of driving. I kept it purely for the smiles and now look forward to traffic lights (as long as I'm at the front) 😁

Reactions: btc1k
Upvote 0
I have AB and think that it did make a noticeable difference throughout the speed range although would admit that it's pretty unnecessary and the standard car is more than quick enough for 99% of driving. I kept it purely for the smiles and now look forward to traffic lights (as long as I'm at the front) 😁
Not even a 3P is any faster accelerating than a stock LR above 50-60 mph, so I don't see how AB can make a difference throughout the speed range. Maybe they re-mapped the throttle pedal curve to make it "feel" quicker.

Reactions: blert
Upvote 0
Definitely a matter of personal opinion. I agree it's a relatively cheap 50 hp, but I just don't think it's worth it in this case. If you really do go full throttle most of the time when accelerating in this car then of course it makes sense to boost it. But as I find myself modulating the throttle 99% of the time I don't see much real world gain. It's only going to make your driving less smooth and nobody will be impressed with that.
You're right on the smoothness... you definitely lose some of that when utilising the full power of AB..!

Great fun though and by far the best 50hp I've bought across any similar "tuning" in ICE cars...

Upvote 0
I have found it extremely useful as much of my driving is on local rural roads & (eg) at the moment there are a lot of tractors with trailers/muck spreaders etc. I'm of an age where I don't race or drive to impress & never have (I've even got a flat cap) but I'm quite a cautious driver so AB gives me the confidence to use a straight with clear visibility to overtake well before anything else within view is going to arrive at that spot.

We are all different and I respect those who see it as unnecessary whereas in my case I like the reassurance those extra yards give me. It also seems to make very little difference to the overall efficiency of the car given that I rarely need to floor the accelerator anyway.
I think a M3 with AB and a towbar would sell very quickly second hand
Yes, my car has both but I didn't expect any increase in resale value because of AB. However if I have the option again on a future car I would definitely do the same again.

Reactions: Bouba
Upvote 0
Not even a 3P is any faster accelerating than a stock LR above 50-60 mph, so I don't see how AB can make a difference throughout the speed range. Maybe they re-mapped the throttle pedal curve to make it "feel" quicker.
It 'feels' faster would be my only claim and I don't have any interest in any particular metric of 0-60 etc. so possibly that is absolutely correct. Equally it could be a complete placebo and I just think it's faster because I paid for it to be :D

Upvote 0
I would say so, it feels "snappier" so I would assume throttle response is changed under AB as well as power.
I found an interesting video where a German guy did some accel tests on the Autobahn. These were the results of various speed tests LR vs LR AB:-

0-31 mph 2.12s vs 1.85s (-0.27s)
0-62 mph 4.38s vs 3.87s (-0.51s)
0-124 mph 14.10s vs 13.6s (-0.50s)

The above strongly suggests that there is no additional power gain above 62 mph, which is in line with tests against the 3P too.

But he also posted some rolling accel times showing small gains of between 0.1 and 0.2s at higher speeds, suggesting a more aggressive throttle map.

So there you go. It is what it is.

Reactions: btc1k and debrooker
Upvote 0
It 'feels' faster would be my only claim and I don't have any interest in any particular metric of 0-60 etc. so possibly that is absolutely correct. Equally it could be a complete placebo and I just think it's faster because I paid for it to be :D
If you deliberately or accidentally search Acceleration Boost on the core forum it is full of enthusiastic Americans measuring the impact of this to the nth degree on drag strips.

Upvote 0
That's if you can and Tesla don't remove the upgrade when the transfer of owner takes place - like they do on occasion with FSD...
They can only do that if you sell it back to them except in some specific instances where it had it due to a glitch i.e. FSD was on the car but never paid for.
So yes it is quite possible if you bought an LR from Tesla or one that had ever been sold back to Tesla that it might have previously had AB and you might not know.

Upvote 0