Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost option standard for all LR Model Ys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm debating buying a Performance or LR Model Y. I'm leaning towards the LR and buying the boost.

Is the acceleration boost a standard option for all new LR Model Ys? I've seen articles about how it's not available on 4680 Model Ys. I live in Austin, so I am worried I would get a 4680 Model Y LR with no option to upgrade acceleration. Does anyone know for sure? TIA!

For me, the MYLR acceleration in standard mode is already HOLY SH**BALLS compared to any car I've owned in 45 years. Not sure who needs sub-4 second 0-60 but the world needs organ donors and salvaged Tesla parts I guess.
I am coming from an S-Class V8 AMG Mercedes so I am trying to make sure I don’t miss anything from that experience. So far I am gaining a lot - I wanted to downsize the vehicle, improve “gas mileage” (I got 16 mpg!) and improve cargo space. Performance now is comparable (Tesla is quicker off the line, AMG higher middle and top end … that I never got to use).
I miss the automatic door closers and seat coolers. That’s about it so far. And parking sensors and 360 degree camera but I’m not supposed to mention those 🤫

Upvote 0
Which wheels are you considering from Apex? are you going 18" or 19"? will these affect the range negatively?

VS-5RS in 19 x 9.5, same size as the stock Gemini wheels. I suspect it will affect range negatively at highway speeds due to being less aerodynamic, but it should actually get better range at local driving speeds due to the 10.5 lbs savings per wheel compared to the stock wheels.

Upvote 0
Since August of 2022, all MYP's have the same rear brakes as the LR except they hide them under caliper covers to make one think they are Brembos of the past. The rear rotors are slightly thicker so yes there still is some difference. The fronts on the LR have always been the same as the MYP, Brembos. If you are new to Tesla you will realise brakes are there for emergency stopping only as the one pedal driving does the work for you 95% of the time unless you track the car. Not sure why nobody has mentioned AB will reduce your range, not sure by how much but you simply cannot increase power and not lose range. I would think it is just slightly better than the MYP after one adds AB.

Regardless, my choice would still be the LR with stock 19" wheels and AB. I actually did put on 18's all around for a more compliant ride and more choice of tires to chose from and would do it all over again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since August of 2022, all MYP's have the same rear brakes as the LR except they hide them under caliper covers to make one think they are Brembos of the past. The rear rotors are slightly thicker so yes there still is some difference. The fronts on the LR have always been the same as the MYP, Brembos. If you are new to Tesla you will realise brakes are there for emergency stopping only as the one pedal driving does the work for you 95% of the time unless you track the car. Not sure why nobody has mentioned AB will reduce your range, not sure by how much but you simply cannot increase power and not lose range. I would think it is just slightly better than the MYP after one adds AB.

Regardless, my choice would still be the LR with stock 19" wheels and AB. I actually did put on 18's all around for a more compliant ride and more choice of tires to chose from and would do it all over again.
Although the previous rear brakes on the MYP were Brembo, they weren't that much different. Both current and previous brakes are floating caliper based brakes. The only real difference is the size of the floating caliper we would see from the outside.

That basically means that it boils down to the pads, which are a "slightly" different size. Materials used can affect braking ability, but that's not limited by size.

Not sure older Brembo would do much better on the track.

This whole thing about "downgrading" brakes seems silly.

As for AB reducing range, that depends on how its implemented. Is it a curve, where the entire curve moves? Or is it the type where the end is extended?

In other words, for a given pedal input, do you get more acceleration all around because it applies more power/amps to the motor? Or does it only really take effect when the "pedal is to the metal?" And it continues to power through the acceleration by allowing more power past the limit?

If it does the former, then yes, range will drop. But if its the latter, then range won't be affected unless you're full blasting everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0
I have to say I got a Model 3 LR loaner with AB and wow that thing is wicked. It is seriously making me think about getting AB on my Y. One of my friends has a Y with AB and his wife has a Y without AB. I think after I drive my Y a bit more, I'll take his for a spin After all, the 3 is more nimble than the Y, so I should wait for the better comparison.

Upvote 0
I miss the automatic door closers and seat coolers.
I don't care about the seat coolers but I miss the soft close doors too! Funny how such a small thing is such a treat isn't it? I really hope there are more viable options in 2 years when I'll be back in the market for a new car again.

And to get back on subject, the AB is a big improvement and $2K well spent IMO.

Reactions: Scubamikey
Upvote 0