Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost 2022 (UK)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys. I'm currently in the market to purchase a Model 3 in the next couple months to replace my ICE. Currently coming from an RS3 8V FL so I'm ideally wanting to keep the performance.

I did have my decision set in stone for a LR then purchasing the performance boost for £1500. However, I've heard it's no longer available on the refreshed 2022 model with the larger capacity batteries. Is that correct?

I'm also looking to get the car on lease, which I believe you can't get it anyway through lease (even if was available), unless the lease company agrees to purchase it through them. Just trying to think whether I go for the LR and hope it becomes available to the refreshed 2022 model, or make the stretch for the performance model.

Thought I would add my 2p worth to this thread.

I have installed this on my car and it's a tricky one to either recommend or not.

Personally I have always noticed a slight hesitancy on accelerating from a stop on the LR, it always felt like there was just a miniscule delay before anything happened and its always irritated me and to my mind it felt like it was there by design to put a bit of distance between the LR and performance. I'm happy to report that (for me) AB seems to have addressed that. Like most reviews it seems to have addressed the 0-30, which I guess concurs with my original gut feeling.

Do you notice the difference? Its subjective but to me yes for the reasons above.

Is it worth it? argubably not due to
a) cost
b) complicates insurance a little more,
c) you only make use of the benefit from a standstill mashing the throttle
d) even more complaints from the wife about making her feel sick

But I'm going to keep it, I need the bragging rights :)
Yes the LR is held back slightly off the line by software. AB is just a more aggressive torque limit off the line giving you a faster 0-60. I think it's only worth it if you are going to mash full gas from every set of lights. From a rolling start above say 30 mph there's no significant advantage to AB (or a P model for that matter either).

Slightly OT, but we have a 2021 M3 LR and a 2022 MY LR and I swear the new MY has faster mid-range acceleration. Even my wife commented on it. Given that the MY is heavier, it can only be down to different battery specs. I haven't looked into this, but I was shocked at the performance of the MY. I fully expected it to feel considerably slower than our M3 and yet it feels quicker!

Upvote 0
Yes the LR is held back slightly off the line by software. AB is just a more aggressive torque limit off the line giving you a faster 0-60. I think it's only worth it if you are going to mash full gas from every set of lights. From a rolling start above say 30 mph there's no significant advantage to AB (or a P model for that matter either).

Slightly OT, but we have a 2021 M3 LR and a 2022 MY LR and I swear the new MY has faster mid-range acceleration. Even my wife commented on it. Given that the MY is heavier, it can only be down to different battery specs. I haven't looked into this, but I was shocked at the performance of the MY. I fully expected it to feel considerably slower than our M3 and yet it feels quicker!
Despite owning a Tesla I have only once prior to yesterday actually witnessed one under full acceleration from the outside and that was an X about 3 years ago. I followed an MY yesterday who decided to floor it from some traffic lights. No idea why. Probably for the benefit of the fastish looking Merc in the right lane next to him rather than me. I have no idea if he had AB but blimey it did not hang around. You get used to the acceleration after a while. its not until you see it from the outside you remember quite how impressive it is. If that was just standard I definitely don't think i'll be bothering with AB when I get mine.

Upvote 0
If that was just standard I definitely don't think i'll be bothering with AB when I get mine.
I find 99% of the time I drive the Y the same as I would have driven 3 performance, its only the very rare situations where I would have been at the front of traffic lights in a 60-70 area I would notice for a second. I find the LR so much smooth I am not sure I would want to add the AB to change this.

Upvote 0
I find that sometimes it seems to fly off the line and sometimes it just seems to not seem as fast. I never know which one I am going to get. I could do 5 runs one after the other and all different, that's with obstacle awareness turned off.
At the same battery temp/state of charge it should be very very consistent, Teslas usually are in tests, but compare a really cold battery below 30% with a warm one at 80% and it will be like a different car.

Reactions: NSS89 and MJR-VR
Upvote 0
I find that sometimes it seems to fly off the line and sometimes it just seems to not seem as fast. I never know which one I am going to get. I could do 5 runs one after the other and all different, that's with obstacle awareness turned off.
As long as the car isn't showing power limited on the bars at the top then I have found it to be the same without the obstacle awareness issues

Reactions: MJR-VR
Upvote 0
Despite owning a Tesla I have only once prior to yesterday actually witnessed one under full acceleration from the outside and that was an X about 3 years ago. I followed an MY yesterday who decided to floor it from some traffic lights. No idea why. Probably for the benefit of the fastish looking Merc in the right lane next to him rather than me. I have no idea if he had AB but blimey it did not hang around. You get used to the acceleration after a while. its not until you see it from the outside you remember quite how impressive it is. If that was just standard I definitely don't think i'll be bothering with AB when I get mine.
Having had ours for nearly a full month now, they are hilariously quick in a straight line. In this country, at this time of year especially when it’s regularly abit greasy out, It’s not impossible that the weight actually helps with this.

I’m now convinced that the traction wizardry going on in the background plays a huge role in how quick they are in the real world. No one talks about it though weirdly. Probably because batteries and motors seem more exciting as a topic.

I will still be doing AB in the next month or so though. 😂 Very interested to see what difference it makes.

Upvote 0

I tend to put this down to the (amazing) traction control. The ability to get the horsepower down without tyre scrabble is impressive. Even a few tiny stones under a wheel or a variation in dampness of the road surface will mean that the traction control is going to dial things back slightly to avoid scrabble (i.e. loss of traction) yet still give you the maximum acceleration possible for the conditions.

Upvote 0
Agree with the above re traction. I've had mine for a month now and done 1700 miles in it which is double my usual mileage lol so testament to me enjoying the car.

One thing that surprised me, but shouldn't have, is how 'bad' the brakes are. Maybe it's not so much the brakes being bad but more the weight of the car. When you drive it round likes it's stolen then you really notice it. I accept its not a performance model nor should it be driven around like that lol so there's that.

I am tempted by the AB but I think maybe in 12 months time or when I feel like I'm beginning to get 'bored'.

Upvote 0
Agree with the above re traction. I've had mine for a month now and done 1700 miles in it which is double my usual mileage lol so testament to me enjoying the car.

One thing that surprised me, but shouldn't have, is how 'bad' the brakes are. Maybe it's not so much the brakes being bad but more the weight of the car. When you drive it round likes it's stolen then you really notice it. I accept its not a performance model nor should it be driven around like that lol so there's that.

I am tempted by the AB but I think maybe in 12 months time or when I feel like I'm beginning to get 'bored'.
What can be an issue is once you get used to using regen you don't use the friction brakes much. Then when you do need them ( maybe in an emergency) they are stone cold and probably wet and don't work well. I was very nearly caught out by that when I got my car.

Upvote 0
What can be an issue is once you get used to using regen you don't use the friction brakes much. Then when you do need them ( maybe in an emergency) they are stone cold and probably wet and don't work well. I was very nearly caught out by that when I got my car.
... and added to those points is simply speed. You arrive at corners quicker in a Tesla than you do in most cars and it's not so easy to judge the speed due to lack of engine note and gear choice "guide points" ... so you need to press those brakes pretty firmly!

Upvote 0

Definitely and the fact that my brakes probably haven't even bedded in yet lol I think its around 500 miles or so once they start bedding in but with regen braking that number will be much higher IMO.

I think it just caught me off guard as I've had cars that are similarly quick but the brakes have been much better, however they have been 'performance' models which is why my comparison isn't totally fair.

Upvote 0
... and added to those points is simply speed. You arrive at corners quicker in a Tesla than you do in most cars and it's not so easy to judge the speed due to lack of engine note and gear choice "guide points" ... so you need to press those brakes pretty firmly!

Don't agree with that - I think the brakes don't match the speed/power of the car but then I've never had a car this quick which isn't a 'performance/sports' model so it's in a strange place.

Upvote 0
I think it just caught me off guard as I've had cars that are similarly quick but the brakes have been much better, however they have been 'performance' models which is why my comparison isn't totally fair.

Yes, you'll have the weight effect and the brakes won't feel exactly stellar in comparison to a lighter performance oriented car where the response would be a good bit sharper (even if they had the same brakes).

Reactions: browellm and NSS89
Upvote 0
At the same battery temp/state of charge it should be very very consistent, Teslas usually are in tests, but compare a really cold battery below 30% with a warm one at 80% and it will be like a different car.
All runs within seconds of each other.
I tend to put this down to the (amazing) traction control. The ability to get the horsepower down without tyre scrabble is impressive. Even a few tiny stones under a wheel or a variation in dampness of the road surface will mean that the traction control is going to dial things back slightly to avoid scrabble (i.e. loss of traction) yet still give you the maximum acceleration possible for the conditions.
I think you are correct.

Upvote 0
You will probably forget all about AB after a while. I briefly thought about adding it to our M3 and never bothered in the end. It's quick enough off the line anyway and once you're rolling above 30 mph AB makes no difference.

Upvote 0
You will probably forget all about AB after a while. I briefly thought about adding it to our M3 and never bothered in the end. It's quick enough off the line anyway and once you're rolling above 30 mph AB makes no difference.
That doesn't actually match my experience. Off the line feels exactly the same to as it did pre-boost without the instantaneous G-force of the P model but from about 20mph when already moving there is a very noticeable difference to a standard LR but nothing compared to the P.

In those circumstances the boost is especially useful for overtaking safely - you are right though, it is more than quick enough off the line either way.

(I have driven another LR & a P since adding AB to mine, the LR for several days in 2021)

Reactions: goRt
Upvote 1
I was exactly the same, planned to get AB immediately but have now (until this post) forgotten about it - 90% of the time my son is in the car with me so i wouldn’t use the power anyway. and the 10%….well i reverted back to my childhood a few months back and embarrassed an S5 at the lights and that’s enough for me - but each to their own i guess, secretly i probably would have got it actually….but the thought of my wife finding out i’ve spent £1.5k on 0.5 secs for traffic light races probably wouldn’t go down well…despite her asking me for a £500 hair dryer thing from dyson…

Reactions: Rooster6655
Upvote 0
In those circumstances the boost is especially useful for overtaking safely - you are right though, it is more than quick enough off the line either way.

Well worst case in a LR without AB is going to be a less than a second difference doing that overtake from 0, so 30-60 less it would be even less difference.

As you mentioned safely overtaking, if less than a second is the difference between safe and unsafe overtaking then maybe you shouldn’t be overtaking tbh!

Reactions: yessuz
Upvote 0