Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I updated my post. The EPA data actually implies they're the same

Edit: adding screenshot to save searching
View attachment 489826

I don't know what the source of this data is but it is inconsistent with the master data file. Not entirely surprising if they took the data from column DG (which appears to be wrong for 2020) and ignored column DC. You should see what the corresponding file for 2018 that you're looking at says about the Performance vs. AWD.

Holy crap. I just checked my account. It’s live.

93453E95-26D9-4E2F-8785-80A5128A0359.jpeg

This isn't correct- apples to apples the P does about 3 flat now, and the AWD does 3.9.

Tesla deceptively uses 2 different measurements for the 2 cars.

So a .5 second improvement to the AWD would drop it to ~3.4 apples to apples vs 3.0 on the P. And this is nothing like the Model S 75 debacle. There are WAY more people to piss off this time.

You contradict yourself here.

If "only" the 980 can be a P, then selling a full P unlock only to 980 owners (that is, owners from 2018 and early 2019) is nothing but making money and can't hurt future P sales since new AWDs can't do this upgrade.

Not sure where I’m contradicting myself? Anyway, at this stage I don’t see Tesla cherry-picking whom they give the update to.

Mine is live too! I am going to wait for some official testing before I plunk down the money. Since car magazines have shown the AWD to do a 3.9 already, I am curious if this update will remove a half second from that. If it does, I will get it.
Same.

I don’t care about track mode or top speed increase.

On my Dragy, pre-most recent 5% update I’ve hit 4.2 without rollout, 4.0 with rollout.

If this hit 3.5 consistently with roll out, I’m IN.

Holy crap. I just checked my account. It’s live.

View attachment 489832

Not surprisingly, nothing in the Upgrades section for a Performance owner.

Edit: adding screenshot to save searching

As suspected, this is just due to them copying over the incorrect data from the datafile into the PDF.

Here is the data from 2018 (where there was a difference between AWD and Performance):

Note again, that 202kW number is ALSO apparently wrong. It looks like it should have read 211kW (since that's what the datafile says).

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 5.52.09 PM.png

Last edited:
AWD to do a 3.9 already, I am curious if this update will remove a half second from that

It would be a super-genius move on Tesla's part for this upgrade if they redefine the 0-60 time on the AWD to be the 0-60 time not including rollout (finally). That buys you about 0.3 seconds. And then just boost the power enough to knock just 0.1-0.2 second off of that. And charge $2k for it. ;)

Seriously, that's obviously not what they're doing since they actually quote the improvement...which presumably is comparing apples-to-apples. So presumably we'll see 3.4-3.5 second 0-60 times (no rollout time included, so comparing to Performance apples) from AWD vehicles with the upgrade.

Last edited:
You state that the are measuring 0-60 differently in the two cars. Please explain. Are you saying that they're doing a rollout on the P and no rollout on the AWD?

Yes. The numbers are (all very approximate - exact vehicle weight and wheels obviously make small differences - AND the initial ramp up of torque matters a bit for the 1-ft rollout time adder):

Rollout:
Perf: 3.15 AWD: ~3.9-4.0 AWD+: ? (Presumably about 3.5)

No rollout:
Perf: 3.45 AWD: ~4.4 AWD+: ? (Presumably about 3.8-3.9)

• Informative
Reactions: P-Lo801 and VQTRVA