Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already own a P. I see the same disclaimer in the upgrade section of my page. If they offer an update that cuts .5s off the 0-60 I'm buying. Even if it's several thousand dollars. That will add tons more enjoyment to my car than the $7k FSD option.

I’d definitely buy the update if it dropped the 0-60 to 2.7 seconds (low 11s in the quarter). That’s even with factoring in the other 5% power boosts. My suspicion is this is only for LR AWD models, though. Hope I’m wrong.

Go buy an Apple computer. See how much it costs to buy those upgrades after the fact versus buying them at the time of computer purchase. That’s the point I’m making.

I buy Apple parts/upgraded parts cheaper all the time. My current employer only uses Apple computers.

Second, yes, nobody knows the part differences between the 980 and 990. But you can bet they’re different for a reason.

That's a bad assumption, I've seen plenty of examples of Auto parts in particular where part numbers differed and there was no material difference to the part itself. Again this remains to be proven one way or another but the reason can be as obtuse as Accounting reasons eg when the motor is intended for a LR the expected revenue for the part is lower than when it's intended for a Performance. This is just an example I've seen in practice but I think it's very presumptuous to assume there's an actual difference at this point.

Lastly, Tesla is trying to make money. Selling the update to 3P is not happening for $2k.

I think this disproves your point not proves it. They can make $2K off a ton of customers that they're currently making 0$ on for almost nothing. ( Yes I know they pay someone to write a bit of code to change there acceleration parameters but that's a negligible cost in the grand scheme of things ) It would be grandly imbecilic of someone trying to make money to NOT do this if they could

Edit: Also wether it's $2K or not Is neither here nor there to me. IMO it must be at least that much.

I paid the same for my non-P 3D as I could have got a stealth now. Granted the tax credit is way less now, and almost gone. Anyway, that's how tech works. Early pay more so everyone else can pay less. I don't know why everyone has to complain about it.

If you don't like how tech pricing works, I would defiantly recommend canceling your truck order. The same will happen with that.
Thats not too shabby, that means your total cost after tax credits and incentives was still cheaper than it costs today.

I figure my total cost after taxes and credits will be much higher still if they offered the upgrade for only 2k. I figure I paid 75+ plus tax, but got 5k + tax back thats 70k cost, but it only ends up costing me around $4000 more plus all the headaches and months in the shop due to lack of service / paint issues for being a semi-early adopter.

I got back 10k (fed and state) but paid the tax on that 10k so really it's like getting 9k off the price so 61k + taxes.

Currently you can get the awd car in white with FSD for 57k. If you also figure you get white paint for free (I paid $1500 and I paid $1500 for the white interior), but those options are free and only $1000 now... So that's part of the price difference? So If i subtract the additional 2k it cost me for the white paint/interior I end up at 59k. So maybe 2k is reasonable for the performance unlock. However wasn't the AWD 10k less up front (5k after the refund for some)? So you would end up with a smoking deal on a P3D- if the upgrade is only 2k. You would end up with a P3D- for about 3k less than people are currently buying them for after taking into account incentives.

I buy Apple parts/upgraded parts cheaper all the time. My current employer only uses Apple computers.

That's a bad assumption, I've seen plenty of examples of Auto parts in particular where part numbers differed and there was no material difference to the part itself. Again this remains to be proven one way or another but the reason can be as obtuse as Accounting reasons eg when the motor is intended for a LR the expected revenue for the part is lower than when it's intended for a Performance. This is just an example I've seen in practice but I think it's very presumptuous to assume there's an actual difference at this point.

I think this disproves your point not proves it. They can make $2K off a ton of customers that they're currently making 0$ on for almost nothing. ( Yes I know they pay someone to write a bit of code to change there acceleration parameters but that's a negligible cost in the grand scheme of things ) It would be grandly imbecilic of someone trying to make money to NOT do this if they could

Edit: Also wether it's $2K or not Is neither here nor there to me. IMO it must be at least that much.

Please show me where you’re buying Apple-warrantied Apple OEM parts for cheap.

I have no issue with Tesla giving people upgrades for whatever price they want. However, in my very business-oriented mind it makes precisely zero sense to offer a LR AWD > 3P upgrade for anything near $2K for post-purchase. And it looks like they’re not.

Nobody? William? No examples of recent pricing of FDS where the price was $1000 more if you added FDS immediately after buying versus when buying? That's the related question, not have there been pricing and strategies changes over the years. I don't think so but like always, I'm perfectly happy to be wrong, just want to know.

Nobody? William? No examples of recent pricing of FDS where the price was $1000 more if you added FDS immediately after buying versus when buying? That's the related question, not have there been pricing and strategies changes over the years. I don't think so but like always, I'm perfectly happy to be wrong, just want to know.

This fairly recent article states the FSD cost in October 2019 as $6K if bought with new car and $8K after purchase.
Now I know it is only $7K after and not $8K so think that got that detail wrong but the $6K at purchase cost I think was correct then.
Tesla’s ‘Full Self-Driving’ feature may get early-access release by the end of 2019

I already own a P. I see the same disclaimer in the upgrade section of my page. If they offer an update that cuts .5s off the 0-60 I'm buying. Even if it's several thousand dollars. That will add tons more enjoyment to my car than the $7k FSD option.
.5s would be incredible. That would put it too close to the performance model S to be a good idea though. Unless, they offered the upgrade for the performance model S as well of course :)

I’m not getting my hopes up. If this is what they were doing they’d call it that and not “Acceleration Boost”.

Why couldn't the P3D get an "acceleration boost" too?

The fact that they're not calling it a "Performance" upgrade speaks volumes that this is NOT going to make LR+ come up to the same specs as the Performance. It also means that it could apply to either car without confusion.

This fairly recent article states the FSD cost in October 2019 as $6K if bought with new car and $8K after purchase.
Now I know it is only $7K after and not $8K so think that got that detail wrong but the $6K at purchase cost I think was correct then.
Tesla’s ‘Full Self-Driving’ feature may get early-access release by the end of 2019

But that's not accurate, overall, I don't think. The price for FSD this fall increased from $6k if added before or after vehicle purchase to $7k if bought before or after, these changes happened simultaneously. Meaning there was no difference in price if bought before or after the vehicle purchase. Only an overall price increase of $1000 unrelated to the timing of adding the option. If that was different back in the olden days, meaning last spring, was my question. A before and after price difference has not been the case since the summer.

Last edited:
Please show me where you’re buying Apple-warrantied Apple OEM parts for cheap.

I have no issue with Tesla giving people upgrades for whatever price they want. However, in my very business-oriented mind it makes precisely zero sense to offer a LR AWD > 3P upgrade for anything near $2K for post-purchase. And it looks like they’re not.

I don't know who our supplier as that's not my department but I do know we buy base model gear and do all our upgrades on-site specifically as it's more cost effective than adding options at purchase ( aside from CPU upgrades as the labour is the issue there not the part cost ). I actually work in Big Data Analytics currently

Why not? that number is completely arbitrary at this point that would be almost completely pure profit. It would technically cost more to make the speed bump different. If they just make it the Stealth performance profile there's 0 cost to them. if they go with something else it's non 0. They need to write and test a new performance profile. There's a balance between volume and margin, and you can bet they've done their homework on that front. At $2K they're guaranteed large probably pretty consistent uptake. $2K is kind of a sweet spot for significant performance upgrades for tuner products. If you live in that world you start seeing it a lot, It's significant enough to make the upgrade "feel" valuable enough but still attainable.

Reactions: neptunesfinest
if and when this update is released, do you guys think there'll be a way to add the cost of the upgrade to the payment on the vehicle?
or will i have to pay the full amount straight up?

If you already have purchased your car, you are going to have to pay it straight up. Won't be able to increase your current payment amount. You can put it on a credit card though.

But that's not accurate, overall, I don't think. The price for FSD increased from $6k if added before or after vehicle purchase to $7k if bought before or after, these changes happened simultaneously. Meaning there was no difference in price if bought before or after the vehicle purchase. Only an overall price increase of $1000 unrelated to the timing of adding the option.

I honestly don't recall. I thought at one point there was a $1K difference before or after purchase but could have been the time they were planning a price increase so it never actually worked that way. Found this article but as you state, it may not be accurate.