Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thing is with the current crop of ICE turbo cars you can easily get 20-25% power gain with just a ECU flash, purely software and usually costs less than $1k. There are BMW M2 Competition chips that offer 100 extra hp for $1k.
Yeah but those aren't from the manufacturer. Companies like Audi or Porsche offer option packages which increase top speed or add launch control which can cost thousands of dollars. These are largely insignificant changes compared to what Tesla is offering.

The difference is that you had to add all that extra hardware to make the ICE car go faster. What if it came with all those things (so you had paid for them already) but the manufacturer set the computer so you couldn’t use them unless you paid even more money for a software change? That’s the issue here. You already paid for the motors that can do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds... Tesla just setup your car so it is slower and now charges you to unlock what you already paid for. Give it time. Once these cars become even more mainstream people will be voiding the warranty and reverse engineering everything so all this software lock stuff will be a thing of the past.

Stage 1 Tune from APR is ~800 for the Golf. For a Porsche it is ~1400. Most German performance cars leave a lot of HP on the table (I hear the same is true for GM's Corvette).

Reactions: coleAK
That's not always true anymore, these days with turbo cars you can get an ECU flash/chip mod for something like $800-$1000 and gain 10-20% power increase pretty easily. For example this company offers a 25% increase in HP for the BMW M2 Competition as a simple ECU tune for $1k: M2 Competition Power Upgrades | Litchfield Motors

That doesn't have a factory warranty. You are at the mercy of your dealer for honoring warranty work.

I'm having the same problem as others... purchased the upgrade but can't seem to figure out how to download it. I see my invoice showing it's paid for. Tesla app is at 3.10.2 and don't know how to update it- there isn't an update pending in the google play store for it either.

Check your driving options in the car. If you see Acceleration options as “Chill” and “Sport” you have the upgrade.

The difference is that you had to add all that extra hardware to make the ICE car go faster. What if it came with all those things (so you had paid for them already) but the manufacturer set the computer so you couldn’t use them unless you paid even more money for a software change?

Lots of ICE manufacturers do that. The bargain basement 3 series (320 etc) is basically software limited in boost. They just don't give you the option to upgrade.

This article rumors that the rear wheel drive models may have a similar boost option down the road. I still don’t think I would spend $2K for half a second but it would be nice to have the option I suppose.

Tesla Model 3 owners can unlock quicker 0-60 with the push of a button

Yeah crap reporting there.

Their source is a video from dragtimes.

Which has the guy doing the video confusing his own numbers.

He claims the "source" shows LR RWD dropping 4.6 to 4.1 and AWD dropping from 4.4 to 3.9

Nope. It doesn't

For one, the LR RWD was never 4.6. Instead he's conflating two different LR AWD numbers that you see depending where you live.

4.6 to 4.1 was the 0-100 kph drop for LR AWD, and 4.4 to 3.9 was the 0-60 MPH drop for LR AWD.

No other models has any drops in the source- because no other models were getting this option.

It's obvious a lot of people have never modded an ICE vehicle.

An intake, full exhaust system, and tune costs more the $2,000, and potentially voids your warranty.

0.5 seconds for an easy peasy software update is not a bad deal at all. Don't have to get your hands dirty, don't have to pay someone to do the work and hope they know what they're doing, don't have to possibly have your car down for a weekend, etc etc.

Not necessarily. I added APR Stage 1 software to my GTI for $700. It made it more than 1 sec quicker 0-60.

You can tell who in this thread has modded an ICE car and who in this thread is comparing everything to mobile apps and video games.
On my second car (Audi A3), I paid APR $600 to get something like 40 hp and 90lb ft of torque. Not anywhere near as noticeable as this - which I gladly and happily gave Tesla money for. The whiners in these forums are either youths with little car experience (disclaimer - I'm a millennial), or former Corolla/Prius drivers who have no idea about performance cars or mods :( They also don't understand that normal car manufacturers have a long history of selling software unlocks for things. BMW's pay to unlock expanded bluetooth options is just the tip of the iceberg for all sorts of things - including performance. Porsche's "sport chrono" option is essentially software and costs $2500. It adds a timer in software + launch control. No power. You can pay Audi like 5K to remove the top speed limiter on some of the RS cars plus get a couple other cheap bits.

Reactions: Scott7
On my second car (Audi A3), I paid APR $600 to get something like 40 hp and 90lb ft of torque. Not anywhere near as noticeable as this - which I gladly and happily gave Tesla money for. The whiners in these forums are either youths with little car experience (disclaimer - I'm a millennial), or former Corolla/Prius drivers who have no idea about performance cars or mods :( They also don't understand that normal car manufacturers have a long history of selling software unlocks for things. BMW's pay to unlock expanded bluetooth options is just the tip of the iceberg for all sorts of things - including performance. Porsche's "sport chrono" option is essentially software and costs $2500. It adds a timer in software + launch control. No power. You can pay Audi like 5K to remove the top speed limiter on some of the RS cars plus get a couple other cheap bits.

Soooo true. As someone said earlier, "just 0.5 seconds" 0-60 when we're already under 4.5 seconds.. is QUITE significant. In non-tesla world, its an exponential increase to achieve those gains as the cars get faster. Shame that so many people that own these cars are complete automotive buffoons.

I’d like to post a real world example of where quick acceleration could be a savior.

About a month ago, I entered what I thought was an intersection within a parking lot, but turned out to be a “roundabout”. I saw a car coming towards me from the other direction and didn’t think twice about continuing forward. Next thing I know, I see from the corner of my eye he’s about to T-bone me (and my wife screaming in fear), so I just nail it and head left out of the side of the roundabout - and as a result, averted an accident. Had I been in my other ICE car, I for sure would have been hit. So, more torque and boost for me, please! Never know when I might again have the need for that instant “Boost”. I reminded my wife of this incident as I pressed the “buy” button last night! :eek::D