Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same battery...Dragtimes did a Youtube where he said they seem to have different batteries but amended his statement in his comments that he read the specs wrong. He stated the batteries were the same.

Edit: not cheetah mode possible as it requires air suspension for that to work.
Durr, I forgot the S has air suspension and can do that.

Maybe some kind of regular launch mode then.

I just submitted the following request to Tesla. I figure it is worth a shot!

“Hello,
I previously purchased the $2k Acceleration Boost for my LR AWD and I love it. I would happily pay another $2k to add performance level acceleration and Track Mode. My car has the 980 rear motor so it should be upgradable. Given the current worldwide pandemic, it would seem to be an easy way to make some revenue while the Fremont Gigafactory is idle.

Thank you!”

“Hello,
I previously purchased the $2k Acceleration Boost for my LR AWD and I love it. I would happily pay another $2k to add performance level acceleration and Track Mode. My car has the 980 rear motor so it should be upgradable. Given the current worldwide pandemic, it would seem to be an easy way to make some revenue while the Fremont Gigafactory is idle.

Thank you!”
haha. Never hurts to ask :)

“Hello,

Thank you!”

Submitted how? Service request from the app?

Well, it wasn’t a “no” from Tesla; it was a “not now, but maybe someday”. Here’s what they emailed back:

Thank you for your prompt reply to Tesla support. I would be happy to assist you with your question.

After further review we can confirm that currently this package is only compatible with Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive with the Performance Upgrade.

Maybe this is something that will be offered in the future, but currently it is not available.

Thank you for your support in Tesla!​

Reactions: superflyrolla
Well, it wasn’t a “no” from Tesla; it was a “not now, but maybe someday”. Here’s what they emailed back:

Thank you for your prompt reply to Tesla support. I would be happy to assist you with your question.

After further review we can confirm that currently this package is only compatible with Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive with the Performance Upgrade.

Maybe this is something that will be offered in the future, but currently it is not available.

Thank you for your support in Tesla!​

that’s similar to the reply everyone for asking for the current boost

that’s similar to the reply everyone for asking for the current boost

Agreed, so there’s some hope. I figure the more people that ask, the more likely it could happen. This should take even less work than the Acceleration Boost, since the car would be updated to an existing set of parameters, instead of them having to develop a new one.

Agreed, so there’s some hope

In the sense that people have been asking for exactly that for almost 2 years now (basically since it was first noticed the AWD and P3D- were the same HW almost immediately after first deliveries) and all gotten some variation of "sorry this is not offered at this time?"

Sure, I guess that's hope?

But they legit ever intended to actually offer it it probably doesn't make sense they starting using a less capable rear drive unit in the AWD.

And the longer that goes on the lower the % of owners they could actually sell such a full P unlock to- and the more pissed off post-980 AWD owners who can't get it they'd have.

In the sense that people have been asking for exactly that for almost 2 years now (basically since it was first noticed the AWD and P3D- were the same HW almost immediately after first deliveries) and all gotten some variation of "sorry this is not offered at this time?"

Sure, I guess that's hope?

But they legit ever intended to actually offer it it probably doesn't make sense they starting using a less capable rear drive unit in the AWD.

And the longer that goes on the lower the % of owners they could actually sell such a full P unlock to- and the more pissed off post-980 AWD owners who can't get it they'd have.
IIRC not every S was eligible for the original uncorking. When the percentage of 980 AWD is low enough they probably could offer something and it shouldn’t upset the 990 folk too much. Not getting my hopes up though, lol.

IIRC not every S was eligible for the original uncorking. When the percentage of 980 AWD is low enough they probably could offer something and it shouldn’t upset the 990 folk too much. Not getting my hopes up though, lol.

The problem is the S thing was exactly the reverse of this.

The older cars couldn't get it. All the ones built after a certain date, and all new ones going forward, got the uncork.

That was fine. Newer car=better.

Because this situation is backward of that (only the older ones can get it) you're effectively telling NEW buyers they bought an inferior car.

The problem is the S thing was exactly the reverse of this.

The older cars couldn't get it. All the ones built after a certain date, and all new ones going forward, got the uncork.

That was fine. Newer car=better.

Because this situation is backward of that (only the older ones can get it) you're effectively telling NEW buyers they bought an inferior car.
True. Then again (some would argue) Tesla has been removing things from newer cars making the older ones (arguably) better.

edit for clarification

Last edited:
I missed my window to get a stealth at the old price, so I went for LR AWD. Although I'm quite happy with it, a part of me wonders (like many of you) if I should have just made the financial jump to the performance.

One of the reasons i didn't make that jump was because i felt like there should be 'more' that differentiates the LR AWD from Performance for 8k other than the gut wrenching acceleration. I know there are bigger wheels (dampens performance for some), spoilers, track mode and bigger brakes, but its otherwise the same car. I sort of wish it had upgraded front seats, a different steering wheel, and lighter wheels. If it had that, i might have done it.

Now though....i'm on the fence for just getting the accel boost and calling it a day, or just taking an upgrade bath for a next gen performance model 3 in the next 2-5 years.

Reactions: Siciliano
Tried searching but this is a long thread now.

Does anyone know of any comparison data (pre- and post- Accleration Boost) showing difference in 0-30, 30-60, and 60-100 mph times (or anything similar)?

This is from various notes I've got some with sources included but all without are from draggy or vbox results from forum users:

Pre-any-OTA-power bumps LR AWD 0-60 of 4.26 (all times include 1' rollout) with a 1/4 mile of 12.7@111.

0-60 after first 5% bump on LR AWD- 3.98, 1/8 mile [email protected], and 1/4 mile of [email protected]
Source:
M3 AWD LR Non P Vbox run(S)

That 4.0 was later confirmed by motortrend-
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor First Test Review - MotorTrend

though their 1/4 mile was "only" [email protected]

Post-2nd-5% update 0-60 dropped to about 3.9 (MagnusMako having the best time I've seen at 3.86) with 1/8th mile at [email protected]), and 1/4 mile of [email protected]...

With the 2k acceleration boost quickest I can recall 0-60 was 3.47, 1/8th mile in 7.67, and 1/4 mile in 11.86 @116.7

I have a link to a 3.48 run though not the 3.47
For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

EDIT-
Oh, and now that I actually read your post I have some of the data at least closer to what you actually asked for :)

Specifically 30-50 passing speed (since many car mags use this)

Original LR AWD no bumps-

30-50 1.5 seconds

5% bump

30-50 1.39 seconds

2nd 5% bump

30-50 1.36 seconds

2k accel boost

30-50 1.23 seconds

SECOND edit- now with 10 mph breakouts-- note these unlike the 0-60s I posted are all WITHOUT 1 foot rollout, so they add up to a few tenths slower 0-60)

no 5% boosts:

0-10 .62s
10-20 .73s
20-30 .72s
30-40 .72s
40-50 .78s
50-60 .9s

First 5% boost:

0-10 .6s
10-20 .69s
20-30 .69s
30-40 .69s
40-50 .71s
50-60 .82s

Second 5% boost

0-10 .58s
10-20 .67s
20-30 .69s
30-40 .67s
40-50 .69s
50-60 .78s

2k accel boost

0-10 .5s
10-20 .61s
20-30 .61s
30-40 .62s
40-50 .62s
50-60 .71

Last edited:
Apparently work was slow today.

Anyway I threw the above data into a spreadsheet, plus added data for the P (note I did NOT heavily research who has the "best" of everything there, just found what appeared reasonable draggy or dragstrip results of each step, feel free to offer links to better data if it's out there and I can adjust)

Anyway it's got the no-rollout 10 mph breakouts from 0-60, a 0-60 with 1 foot rollout, the 30-50 time, and the 1/8 and 1/4 times and trip speeds for the LR AWD in 2018, after each 5% bump, and after acceleration boost- plus same data for the 2018 P and after each 5% bump.

It won't let me upload an excel file so I took a screen shot

lrawdpic.png

Not sure if this has been discussed already, but with the acceleration boost do you also get the new track mode with skid pad visualization, etc.?

That for me would make it worth it. $2k for 1/2 second better 0-60 time is still pretty valuable but harder to justify.
No, just the faster acceleration. It’s very noticeable but I feel the car dials it back under 50% battery power.