Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is the S thing was exactly the reverse of this.

The older cars couldn't get it. All the ones built after a certain date, and all new ones going forward, got the uncork.

That was fine. Newer car=better.

Because this situation is backward of that (only the older ones can get it) you're effectively telling NEW buyers they bought an inferior car.

I think there’s a slight nuance to appreciate here. Early adopters actually paid more for their 3s, so all things equal it would be a trade off in power for cost and less range vs newer cars that have better range at a slightly lower price point. Either way, I agree it would be difficult to do now given they offer the “stealth” at the same price as the full PUP car. I personally wouldn’t pay $7k just for the 1 second 0-60 increase.

I think there’s a slight nuance to appreciate here. Early adopters actually paid more for their 3s,

No...they really did not

We've been over this math repeatedly in other threads (hell probably repeatedly in this thread too- it is 98 pages after all I'm sure it's in there a few times too).

In some cases they actually paid LESS than people buying in 2020 depending on specific config/color/wheel choices once you figure in the refunds/tax credits/lower destination fee back then/added HW the early adopters got that the new buyers don't, etc...

Yep
My 2018 AWD Ignoring docs fees and all that etc.
53000 base color black with 18”
-7500 tax credit
+2000 AP in March of 2019
Total = 47500

New 2020 AWD Base color white with 18” with AP included.

The 2018 is $1490 Less expensive.
Sure my taxes might have been slightly more but not that much.

No...they really did not

We've been over this math repeatedly in other threads (hell probably repeatedly in this thread too- it is 98 pages after all I'm sure it's in there a few times too).

In some cases they actually paid LESS than people buying in 2020 depending on specific config/color/wheel choices once you figure in the refunds/tax credits/lower destination fee back then/added HW the early adopters got that the new buyers don't, etc...

Yep
My 2018 AWD Ignoring docs fees and all that etc.
53000 base color black with 18”
-7500 tax credit
+2000 AP in March of 2019
Total = 47500

New 2020 AWD Base color white with 18” with AP included.

The 2018 is $1490 Less expensive.
Sure my taxes might have been slightly more but not that much.

$60k w/ MSM color and EAP - $7500 rebate is $52.5k. New that car goes for just about $51k but doesn’t include enhanced summon, auto park and NoA. That’s certainly cheaper to me (even if we add back homelink and premium connectivity). If you’re comparing base price with base autopilot to 2018 car base price with no autopilot than I guess you’re right - it was cheaper back then if you wanted zero options.

$60k w/ MSM color and EAP - $7500 rebate is $52.5k. New that car goes for just about $51k but doesn’t include enhanced summon, auto park and NoA.

Right. You'd need to add FSD to both cars for apples to apples on features

Which adds $3000 to the 2018, and $7000 to the 2020.

Meaning $55.5k for the 2018.... and $58k for the 2020.

The 2018 remains cheaper.

(even moreso than those numbers since homelink and the doc fee bump is another $500 difference... plus the 14-50 adapter, premium connectivity, etc...)

Tesla is readying a new option, internally … - teslamotors - Reddit

Reddit post about an acceleration mode....

There are people corroborating the rumor via their account homepage. However, I can't see it on mine, since I already have FSD, so I don't have any "live"/official software updates available to me.

But.... $2,000 for this? Supposedly 10% improvement in 0-60 times (read the tweet thread).

Tesla Change Tracker on Twitter

Guys....now we're talking about P3D's that might be able to clear 2.75s 0-60.

That's Ludicrous (which they probably chose not to say.....so S and X can still have that)

I would be happy to have it without the name - lets call it Ridiculous for the M3 :)

No...they really did not

The one caveat is the price of the Performance Model 3, right? It was $16k more than the AWD when I bought my AWD, which was too big of a stretch for me. They knocked it down to an $11k difference, and then knocked it down again. But there are definitely some P3D drivers who paid more than they would have paid now.

Because it was such a big difference at the time, there were a lot of people who couldn’t afford a P3D and bought the AWD, but wish there was an upgrade path, hence these never ending posts. I bet there are less new buyers now with regret since it isn’t as big of a price jump, so it’s easier to just go ahead and buy the P3D from the get go.

The one caveat is the price of the Performance Model 3, right?

Nope.

That's also cheaper in 2018.

Th
It was $16k more than the AWD when I bought my AWD, which was too big of a stretch for me. They knocked it down to an $11k difference, and then knocked it down again. But there are definitely some P3D drivers who paid more than they would have paid now.

Again- no.

2018 P buyers got a $5000 refund after the PUP mess.

Plus a $7500 tax credit.

So that 16k difference became $3500.

Which is much less than the current $8000 AWD->P price jump.

Even WITHOUT 5k refund it's only an $8500 difference (and you got at least $500 more hardware with the car than a 2020 gets- so 8k)

Guess what the AWD->P price bump is today?

8k.

The one caveat is the price of the Performance Model 3, right? It was $16k more than the AWD when I bought my AWD, which was too big of a stretch for me. They knocked it down to an $11k difference, and then knocked it down again. But there are definitely some P3D drivers who paid more than they would have paid now.

Because it was such a big difference at the time, there were a lot of people who couldn’t afford a P3D and bought the AWD, but wish there was an upgrade path, hence these never ending posts. I bet there are less new buyers now with regret since it isn’t as big of a price jump, so it’s easier to just go ahead and buy the P3D from the get go.
My dilemma is if I purchase P3D, I don't want the spoiler, Dual Motor, and 20" wheels. I could debadge Dual Motor but will I be able to take the spoiler off without damaging the paint? I like 18" Aero wheels with the plastic cover but those won't fit with the larger OEM brakes of P3D. It is not an easy decision...

My dilemma is if I purchase P3D, I don't want the spoiler, Dual Motor, and 20" wheels. I could debadge Dual Motor but will I be able to take the spoiler off without damaging the paint? I like 18" Aero wheels with the plastic cover but those won't fit with the larger OEM brakes of P3D. It is not an easy decision...

The P3D is orderable without the package that gives you the 20s, spoiler, and larger brakes

There is no discount given for the 18 inch rims vs the 21. I would be worried about potholes with the 21

20s- but yeah no discount for skipping the extra package on the P. If you don't mind the PITA of selling the wheels and buying your own smaller, lighter, better ones that fit properly then you can possibly come out ahead that way (or at least get some better wheels than OEM at roughly the same cost as the OEM 18s)

T
And New Jersey has a 5 k rebate if msrp less than 55k so I ordered the dual motor or and will get the performance upgrade software. I will get that in june

I assume you mean the acceleration boost? Just be aware it's NOT the full performance software... (0-60 is only about 3.5 not the ~3.0 of the full P, and no track mode)

Reactions: phantasms
Nope.

That's also cheaper in 2018.

Again- no.

2018 P buyers got a $5000 refund after the PUP mess.

Plus a $7500 tax credit.

So that 16k difference became $3500.

Which is much less than the current $8000 AWD->P price jump.

Even WITHOUT 5k refund it's only an $8500 difference (and you got at least $500 more hardware with the car than a 2020 gets- so 8k)

Guess what the AWD->P price bump is today?

8k.

I’m not sure I follow your logic. When I bought my 2018 AWD, the P3D was $16k more, which was too big of a leap. Or, if I could have gazed into a crystal ball and seen the $5k drop, it’d still be $11k more. Both that P3D and my AWD were eligible for the same $7.5k fed tax rebate.

How is the $11k to $16k jump from AWD to P3D in 2018 less than the $8k difference now? That doesn’t make sense.

I’m not sure I follow your logic.

It's not logic, it's basic math.

We're not debating "how smart decision X was at time Y"

We are debating "Is a new 2020 P3D cheaper or more expensive than a 2018 one"

(it's more expensive)

When I bought my 2018 AWD, the P3D was $16k more, which was too big of a leap. Or, if I could have gazed into a crystal ball and seen the $5k drop, it’d still be $11k more.

Right- but not the debate. The debate is is the SAME CAR cheaper today or in 2018.

The 2018 P buyers GOT the 5k refund/discount so you have to count that in comparing.

Both that P3D and my AWD were eligible for the same $7.5k fed tax rebate.

How is the $11k to $16k jump from AWD to P3D in 2018 less than the $8k difference now? That doesn’t make sense.

Ah, I see the issue. You're debating the AWD to P gap in the same year, not "did early adopters pay more" which is the point that prompted the actual discussion.

Anyway- point was, 2018 (AWD and P) was the same price, or cheaper, than it is today for the same car (and you get less HW on the car today)

As to the price gap... the AWD-> P3D- gap is larger today than in 2018 as it turned out (due to the 5k refund)....it was 6k net in 2018, and it 8k net today.... it was smallest in 2019 if you didn't mind taking whatever color/wheel combo they had in inventory at only 2k.

The P3D+ gap is 8k today (nearer $8500 if you add the missing HW 2018s got) versus the net 11k in 2018 so that one is slightly larger, but not by a ton.

That P3D+ today is still more expensive than the same car bought in 2018 though... (as is the P3D- or AWD bought today- again exact amounts may vary with color and wheel choices) which was the original topic.

So no, early adopters did not "pay a lot more" on the 3.

You'll need to talk to the folks who dropped 140k on a P100D for that discussion.

Apparently work was slow today.

Anyway I threw the above data into a spreadsheet, plus added data for the P (note I did NOT heavily research who has the "best" of everything there, just found what appeared reasonable draggy or dragstrip results of each step, feel free to offer links to better data if it's out there and I can adjust)

Anyway it's got the no-rollout 10 mph breakouts from 0-60, a 0-60 with 1 foot rollout, the 30-50 time, and the 1/8 and 1/4 times and trip speeds for the LR AWD in 2018, after each 5% bump, and after acceleration boost- plus same data for the 2018 P and after each 5% bump.

It won't let me upload an excel file so I took a screen shot

View attachment 530877

Thought I would put together a sheet with all of my personal times of my LR AWD 3 as I have kept track of them since the beginning (delivery in Dec 2018). Here's the google doc with all the times and their respective time slip / logs hyperlinked to each cell.

Here's a snapshot as well:

Annotation 2020-04-28 194630.png

Sheesh, is it fair to say you're the fastest documented AWD+ out there?

I'd love to think that's the case. :) Back seats were very easy to remove and only took about 10 minutes. I'll put a quick how-to in this reducing weight thread later as I took some pics of the process.

Once my new front rotors from MPP (that shave another 5 pounds per rotor) come in soon I'd imagine I'll be even quicker. I'll probably do a drag strip run after that as well to get a good 1/4 mile time.

Last edited: