Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I honestly don't know what there is to think about...the equivalent of 50 extra HP for $2k?!

The only other car I've owned (or that I even know of) that beats that price vs performance was my S7. The stage 1 ECU tune was about the same price, but literally made it a different car... IIRC I gained about 125HP and at least 125 ft-lbs of torque. It was approaching RS7 performance for $2k, which at first I thought was impossible and a bunch of BS...until I got the tune and dyno'd it lol to this day I STILL can't believe it.

I'm picking up my M3 in a few days and that's going to be part of my day 1 checklist. No-brainer.

One thing I would love to know is the take rate of Acceleration boost among AWD owners. My guess is single digit %. Just making an estimate based on this forum. The forum is already a very small slice of Tesla owners and they tend to be enthusiasts. Even so, it seems like only a small % of this group has purchased the upgrade.

We may never actually know unless Elon mentions it in an earnings call sometime (doubtful)

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I hope it’s a small number. Since we can’t “Tune” these cars it’s nice to have some form of differentiator between the tons of dual motor non-P owners.
Maybe boost should have a different coloured Dual Motor underline...

Here's something I knocked up from a scrap piece of Aluminium strip, temporarily stuck on my LR Boost for the pic & photoshopped in the other colours (not yellow = weak & boost ain't green or eco!)

yPwnuWn.jpg

dxBUkDn.jpg

ce4cDYA.jpg

hdV5tmZ.jpg

53Bc1Ln.jpg

Last edited:
Bear in mind for much of the first 6-12 months most cars weren't coming with the dual motor (P or not) badges from the factory- and even once they were available many of those owners chose not to have them added (I know I didn't, I've still got the unapplied DM badge sitting in a box)

I just picked my M3 up today, and the minute I pulled into my driveway (had to wait until the Tesla app synced with the car and my acct) I purchased the boost.

I gotta say, it was pretty damn fast already in standard mode - it's somewhat difficult to quantify, but fk it, I'm keeping it!

If Chill mode in my AWD+ is any indication, Chill mode in the Performance will be slower than any other Model 3 in "normal" driving mode.

You can try Acceleration Boost and request a refund for up to 48 hours. I did. And then I re-purchased it a week later. :)

It's funny because I know it's faster, but it's not night and day faster as I perceived it when driving around in a friend's M3 a few months ago.

I guess just based on the numbers, 0.5s wouldn't be night and day difference. I dunno, I'm kinda on the fence. I know I can get a refund, but I wish there was a way to turn it on and off freely as many times as I want within the 48 hours... that would be the best way to compare.

It's funny because I know it's faster, but it's not night and day faster as I perceived it when driving around in a friend's M3 a few months ago.

I guess just based on the numbers, 0.5s wouldn't be night and day difference. I dunno, I'm kinda on the fence. I know I can get a refund, but I wish there was a way to turn it on and off freely as many times as I want within the 48 hours... that would be the best way to compare.
I agree, I wish you could select from all three options for acceleration. Chill, normal, sport.

You can request refund within 48 hours and go back to regular AWD. Drive it for a week and then buy the boost again if you want it. However, no refund for the second purchase.

Interesting... maybe I'll do that and *try* to compare the difference.

One thing to note - on the invoice it doesn't show the actual time of the order, just the date, 8/3. So does it go from midnight on 8/3, instead of around 1:00PM when I actually ordered it???

So I know I have until 8/5 to get the refund, I just don't know what time...

I believe the clock started at the time you purchased it. Here is quote from Tesla support page:

Upgrades

Are upgrade purchases refundable?
Yes. For upgrades purchased from the Tesla app, you can request a refund from the Tesla app within 48 hours of purchase. All refund conditions are available in your Tesla app. If an upgrade was purchased in a Service Center, contact your local Service Center.

Something like this 0-60/30-50/50-70 comparative times for 70D/85D/P85D[/QUOTE]
I'm starting to suspect they purposely didn't put chill, standard, AND sport mode all together so you couldn't scrutinize the difference (or lack thereof) between standard and sport...
The difference is highly significant. Your issue is you ordered it too soon and were still infatuated with the non-boosted power. If you cancel the order now, you would be scrambling for your credit card once you feel the slower version.