Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good compared to what? :)

I think around 7.65 at ~95 is the best I've seen for an AWD+ though I haven't checked super super recently...so yours is pretty good for the car...(especially if at 84% SOC on a street instead of 90+ on a track)

I've got [email protected] written down for a P3D with both 5% bumps for comparison... (an original P3D was [email protected])

I guess good compared to other very fast cars :D

So only 0.23s slower than the original P... I'm happy with that!

09-08_22:00:31.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
How do I check battery temp?? I googled it and still couldn't find a straight answer..

Best way to get the temperature is with a canbus reader. You can search for "scan my Tesla" for more details.

The battery will heat up as you drive, but it takes a while. So if you haven't driven very far, you can reasonably assume your battery temp is similar to the air temp (which is probably cold enough to be a limiting factor unless you live someplace in very hot).

The best way to ensure your battery is nice and hot is to plug into a supercharger for a few minutes. That will heat up your battery really fast. Alternatively if there is a supercharger nearby, you can tell the car to navigate to a supercharger, the car will turn on the car's battery heater.

Best way to get the temperature is with a canbus reader. You can search for "scan my Tesla" for more details.

The battery will heat up as you drive, but it takes a while. So if you haven't driven very far, you can reasonably assume your battery temp is similar to the air temp (which is probably cold enough to be a limiting factor unless you live someplace in very hot).

The best way to ensure your battery is nice and hot is to plug into a supercharger for a few minutes. That will heat up your battery really fast. Alternatively if there is a supercharger nearby, you can tell the car to navigate to a supercharger, the car will turn on the car's battery heater.

I assume you're saying the warmer the battery the better? How long do you think is sufficient to drive with the built-in supercharger pre-conditioning on (from the nav)?

So now that you've had the boost, do you think it was worth it?

Yes indeed - I have solid proof now that the car is performing even better than it's supposed to with the boost (Tesla advertises 3.9s). Now I'll be really happy if I could crack 3.8s :)

I know I'm not supposed to, but I'm thinking about charging to 100% just once, to see if I can improve my best time.

I also wish there were enough road to test the 1/4 mile...on the straightest, flattest road I can find, I run out of road just before 100mph :mad:

It's funny, even after slowing wayyy down, I got a 12.6s, which is still fast for a lot of cars.

• Love
Ok I give up. I can't really do much more to improve my time. I went to my local supercharger earlier and charged for 35 minutes up to 95%, then headed to my new testing grounds.

This stretch of road I found is almost dead flat (0.3% slope in dragy results) and pin straight. I'm a little crazy to push it past 100mph...I had to brake HARD right after I hit 1/4 mile, but I think I may have even braked before I hit the 1/4 mi - it happened very fast. I got 3.83s again 0-60, but this time 11.98 1/4 mile... 1/8th in 7.72s @ 94.80 mph. I'm happy with the latter 2.

I don't know how you guys are cracking 3.8s :confused:(aside from Magnus who is removing weight). I mean, I have a stroller in the trunk but I don't think that makes that much of a difference. I'm stumped and a little aggravated...

• Informative
Ok I give up. I can't really do much more to improve my time. I went to my local supercharger earlier and charged for 35 minutes up to 95%, then headed to my new testing grounds.

This stretch of road I found is almost dead flat (0.3% slope in dragy results) and pin straight. I'm a little crazy to push it past 100mph...I had to brake HARD right after I hit 1/4 mile, but I think I may have even braked before I hit the 1/4 mi - it happened very fast. I got 3.83s again 0-60, but this time 11.98 1/4 mile... 1/8th in 7.72s @ 94.80 mph. I'm happy with the latter 2.

I don't know how you guys are cracking 3.8s :confused:(aside from Magnus who is removing weight). I mean, I have a stroller in the trunk but I don't think that makes that much of a difference. I'm stumped and a little aggravated...

A drag strip will yield better times due to the surface. Also, are your tires worn? Better traction will probably yield slightly better times. The final reason you may not be able to break 3.8s is....your car is just slow. There are always production differences in drivetrain and some cars are faster than others. Sorry...

A drag strip will yield better times due to the surface. Also, are your tires worn? Better traction will probably yield slightly better times. The final reason you may not be able to break 3.8s is....your car is just slow. There are always production differences in drivetrain and some cars are faster than others. Sorry...

My tires are pretty much like new, so it's definitely not that. One of these days I'll have to take her to the strip...

I'm an extremely determined person, so the whole "I give up" is like my way of saying I give up for the night. I set this goal in my head to crack 3.8s and now I'm determined to do it...especially now that I've heard the car could just be slow. :p

It's only 0.04s, which is kind of nothing. I know everything is relative, but let's face it, 3.8s is anything but slow! That said, I can feel where the "slow" part of it is - right down low, 0-20ish. Other than that it's pretty damn good. I remember running low 12s at the strip in my Z06 back in the day (and it had some work done), so under 12s is great.

If I can't get it tonight I'm gonna start taking sh#t out of the car until I do get it. :mad: I'm actually worried now with this stupid obsession...once I crack it, I know that little devil will appear on my shoulder saying, "let's see if we can get under 3.7s now" lol

Based on your recent posts, I really don't think this car will satisfy you unless you trade up to a P3D :p. I know you understand that your car is fast, but its still not fast enough for you. might as well take the hit, and upgrade.

Reactions: Siciliano
Siciliano. You are reporting 0-60 without rollout? The car mags and most people report with rollout. This # will be about 0.2-0.3 seconds lower. So your 3.8 would be like 3.5-3.6 which is pretty good.

Nope, all times I've been reporting here are without rollout. Yeah, it's very cool that dragy tracks 1ft rollout as well - I just checked in the app and my best time with 1ft rollout was 3.58s, which I'm very happy with! (if that's really the metric that is commonly used)...so, I guess I should just shut up. :D

Based on your recent posts, I really don't think this car will satisfy you unless you trade up to a P3D :p. I know you understand that your car is fast, but its still not fast enough for you. might as well take the hit, and upgrade.

It's interesting because I've read numerous times that Tesla has been quite deceiving with their 0-60 reporting...using 1ft rollout with the P model (3.2s) and NOT using 1ft rollout with the LR AWD (4.4s). I wonder if that's absolutely true...?? If it is true, and I'm getting 3.58s now, is it really worth it to buy the P to be quicker by only 0.38s??? :confused:

• Informative
Nope, all times I've been reporting here are without rollout. Yeah, it's very cool that dragy tracks 1ft rollout as well - I just checked in the app and my best time with 1ft rollout was 3.58s, which I'm very happy with! (if that's really the metric that is commonly used)...so, I guess I should just shut up. :D

It's interesting because I've read numerous times that Tesla has been quite deceiving with their 0-60 reporting...using 1ft rollout with the P model (3.2s) and NOT using 1ft rollout with the LR AWD (4.4s). I wonder if that's absolutely true...?? If it is true, and I'm getting 3.58s now, is it really worth it to buy the P to be quicker by only 0.38s??? :confused:
Its actually 2.98 seconds now. It used to be that the P was with rollout. They had a 5% bump to get lower than 3s but never changed the 3.2s so now the 0-60 is without rollout.

Tesla stopped updating their website 0-60s a while ago...

Brief history:

at launch the AWD was listed at 4.5 and the P at 3.5.

Both were pretty accurate times without rollout.

A few months later the P was magically updated to 3.3, with no actual change to the car or software. Because they began copying their deceptive S/X practice of only using rollout on P models.

After the first 5% bump they improved the posted time for the AWD to 4.4, and the P to 3.2.

And never updated em again despite another free power bump to both later.

What magazine testing showed was that 4.4 (1st bump only) was really 4.0 with rollout versus about 3.1 on the P... and the second free power bump knocked those down to ~3.9 and 3.0 respectively.

As to rollout in general- US car magazines (and most US car companies) list 0-60 with 1 foot rollout.

European mags and car companies tend to list it without.

Which is why every time a US car mag tests a BMW folks who don't realize this and just compare the mag times to BMWs website insist BMW is "known for sandbagging" their times.

They're not- they and most euro makers just don't measure the same way the US tends to.

But at least, unlike Tesla, they measure all their cars with that method.

Its actually 2.98 seconds now. It used to be that the P was with rollout. They had a 5% bump to get lower than 3s but never changed the 3.2s so now the 0-60 is without rollout.

Yes, this does appear to be true. I've checked the dragy leaderboards, and there are a few ppl with Ps running around 3s flat with rollout...so 3.2s without rollout seems about right.

So that's about 0.5s difference, which coincidentally is the same difference between the LR AWD and LR AWD with boost. Now I know the boost works because of my runs w/dragy, but honestly I didn't really feel that much of a difference.

That was pretty much the original reason why I got the dragy in the first place, because I didn't believe there was a difference, and I wanted to make sure I was getting what I paid for with the boost.

I may need to just test drive the P, but I'm not at all convinced I will be able to tell the difference of 0.5s...

• Informative
I may need to just test drive the P, but I'm not at all convinced I will be able to tell the difference of 0.5s...

Bwahahaha and so it begins. You're basically writing the same tale that has been done a few times before you delved into this thread. ;)

Be careful, you may end up with a P after all, and at a loss. :p

Yes, this does appear to be true. I've checked the dragy leaderboards, and there are a few ppl with Ps running around 3s flat with rollout...so 3.2s without rollout seems about right.

So that's about 0.5s difference, which coincidentally is the same difference between the LR AWD and LR AWD with boost. Now I know the boost works because of my runs w/dragy, but honestly I didn't really feel that much of a difference.

That was pretty much the original reason why I got the dragy in the first place, because I didn't believe there was a difference, and I wanted to make sure I was getting what I paid for with the boost.

There is a difference. It take more incremental power to go from 3.5 to 3s than from 4 to 3.5s. Its a noticeable difference in feel. But that acceleration alone isn't enough to take such a large bath trading up so soon.

Bwahahaha and so it begins. You're basically writing the same tale that has been done a few times before you delved into this thread. ;)

Be careful, you may end up with a P after all, and at a loss. :p

lol you're right, maybe I shouldn't even drive it...the money is not really an issue, but thank god I'm really cheap!! :D

I put $10k down when I bought it, and that would basically evaporate between the typical "drive off the lot instant depreciation" (which is absolutely ridiculous) and the difference in cost.

I've seen races between the P and AWD w/boost, and they're pretty damn close. Not really worth it IMO. In reality I know myself well enough, and I won't bite the bullet unless something faster than the P comes out, but it will have to be M3 size because I really don't want a big car again. P3D++ ???? Don't think it'll ever happen because they don't want to cannibalize the P100D.

The roadster is a little out of my budget, but even if we had a really good year and could swing it, my wife wouldn't go for it because, well, 2 kids... :mad: I still want to test drive it whenever it comes out, even though it will haunt me. lol

• Informative

Oh, you will absolutely feel the 0.5 second difference initially. But there is little to no difference after 30 mph b/w your LR AWD+ and the P.

So is the networth hit worth it? That is the question.

lol you're right, maybe I shouldn't even drive it...the money is not really an issue, but thank god I'm really cheap!! :D

I put $10k down when I bought it, and that would basically evaporate between the typical "drive off the lot instant depreciation" (which is absolutely ridiculous) and the difference in cost.

I've seen races between the P and AWD w/boost, and they're pretty damn close. Not really worth it IMO. In reality I know myself well enough, and I won't bite the bullet unless something faster than the P comes out, but it will have to be M3 size because I really don't want a big car again. P3D++ ???? Don't think it'll ever happen because they don't want to cannibalize the P100D.

The roadster is a little out of my budget, but even if we had a really good year and could swing it, my wife wouldn't go for it because, well, 2 kids... :mad: I still want to test drive it whenever it comes out, even though it will haunt me. lol

For me, money is an issue so we will keep the Model 3 for now. But I'll definitely upgrade to the fastest Tesla within six years of time.

Also note: Roadster is 2+2 so you can easily fit your two kids in the back seat.