Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accessing Liftgate Long Horizontal Brakelight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BertL

Aug 19, 2015
Carlsbad, CA
Can anyone that has gained access to the long LED brakelight on the liftgate offer advice as to the best way to remove the horizontal interior black plastic trim piece so I don't damage it or break off any tabs, as well as any suggestions how to proceed after that?

My Problem: I had tint applied to the sides and rear window of my new S90D this past week, and have noticed three "drips" have appeared in certain lighting on the interior glass over the long LED brakelight. My installer has done this work on several MS and otherwise did a great job, but it appears they were a bit over-zealous with excess water or squeegee work. I'd normally have them resolve any problems, but think I'd trust myself more doing this bit of clean-up on my not 2-week-old MS if someone here that has done it before can offer a little guidance. Given Tesla does not offer user access to service manual and parts/trim explosion diagrams like I've used a couple times with my former Lexus by purchasing a 3-day access pass to their service system, if I can avoid spending $175/hr at the Tesla Service Center for something that seems should be pretty simple and is purely esthetic because of the tint I had applied, I'd like to give it a try. Thanks in advance.

Can anyone that has gained access to the long LED brakelight on the liftgate offer advice as to the best way to remove the horizontal interior black plastic trim piece so I don't damage it or break off any tabs, as well as any suggestions how to proceed after that?

My Problem: I had tint applied to the sides and rear window of my new S90D this past week, and have noticed three "drips" have appeared in certain lighting on the interior glass over the long LED brakelight. My installer has done this work on several MS and otherwise did a great job, but it appears they were a bit over-zealous with excess water or squeegee work. I'd normally have them resolve any problems, but think I'd trust myself more doing this bit of clean-up on my not 2-week-old MS if someone here that has done it before can offer a little guidance. Given Tesla does not offer user access to service manual and parts/trim explosion diagrams like I've used a couple times with my former Lexus by purchasing a 3-day access pass to their service system, if I can avoid spending $175/hr at the Tesla Service Center for something that seems should be pretty simple and is purely esthetic because of the tint I had applied, I'd like to give it a try. Thanks in advance.

If you are talking about the dark grey plastic piece, it is held into place by a few clips. Just pull hard straight out (away from the frame) and it should pop off. FWIW, I have had this piece out of my S85 about 6 times to mount/install the rear camera for a dual dash cam, and also to install the custom lighted rear chrome applique created by artsci and danal (had to actually tap the wire feeding the 3rd stop light). Only had it out once on my wife's S70D to do her dash cam install. Never had the clips break. The clips on this piece are different than the round ones on the side trim and large bottom trim, which have a habit of breaking or falling out.

If you are talking about the dark grey plastic piece, it is held into place by a few clips. Just pull hard straight out (away from the frame) and it should pop off. FWIW, I have had this piece out of my S85 about 6 times to mount/install the rear camera for a dual dash cam, and also to install the custom lighted rear chrome applique created by artsci and danal (had to actually tap the wire feeding the 3rd stop light). Only had it out once on my wife's S70D to do her dash cam install. Never had the clips break. The clips on this piece are different than the round ones on the side trim and large bottom trim, which have a habit of breaking or falling out.

Thank You!

The clips on this piece are different than the round ones on the side trim and large bottom trim, which have a habit of breaking or falling out.

Sorry for hijacking this thread: I broke one of those green clips on the side trim, the cap of the clip broke off from too many failed attempts at pulling it out of the frame, and now I have nothing to grab on to when pulling. Any suggestions?