Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 weeks I doubt it. Getting parts is the usual 3 weeks alone from Tesla.
Does the Tesla Repair people deal with the insurance or do they only deal with you?
Honestly I'm not sure yet. I've had some emails from the repair place, but my insurance has also been in contact with them directly. This morning I had an estimate attached to my claim, but I haven't spoke to anyone from insurance or the repair shop about the estimate yet.

Hope they get it right for your sake. These things can be a PITA. I have heard that TESLA does not like to deal with insurance work directly, maybe things have changed. Don't be surprise if they find hidden demons that raise the cost of repair.

Good Luck and hope thing s turn out well.

Will be interesting to see the final bill that insurance gets. $10K sounds low to me for that kind of damage. You can bet the body shop will find more that needs to be repaired as they go and make adjustments to the repair costs. They almost always do when insurance is involved and after they have a lock on the job with the car in pieces in their shop.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Well, the verdict is in. They deemed it repairable, with an estimate of costing about $10,300.

I made sure to bring it to a place listed on the Tesla website under body shops, so hopefully they'll do a good job and I won't have any issues. Timeframe is about 3 weeks.

I would contact local Tesla owners in your area and find out who does good work. If that fails, contact the local Porsche owners...they're picky!

Find a good shop and insist it be brought there. Forget what Tesla says. It's about you and your insurance company.

Good body shops can fix what you have with no issues. Good luck!

Will be interesting to see the final bill that insurance gets. $10K sounds low to me for that kind of damage. You can bet the body shop will find more that needs to be repaired as they go and make adjustments to the repair costs. They almost always do when insurance is involved and after they have a lock on the job with the car in pieces in their shop.

Okay, new update. They started taking the car apart and provided a new estimate. Now the repairs went from $10,300 to $23,600, so a major difference. Still waiting for my insurance to review that estimate...

Score one for @TLLMRRJ

I am not making light of your situation, OP, just pointing out that @TLLMRRJ was pretty spot on with his take on this.

• Love
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
They started taking the car apart and provided a new estimate. Now the repairs went from $10,300 to $23,600,

Now we are starting to get somewhere. What model did you have? (What was the MSRP?)

Part of the reason a Tesla is totaled so often is because they fetch a high amount at auction. Your car could easily go for $20k at auction. So if you had a base AWD, $47k, that would mean $24k in repairs + $1k in rental + $2k in DV could end up totaling the car.

Wow. Granted we dont know what they found by even a Tesla Certified Bodyshop in a high operating cost area with high insurance premiums would likely price this out at around $15K tops.

Head on, front fendee and side damage (aside from rocker and or battery impact from a side) on a Model 3 is a piece of cake compared to rear end or quarter panel damage.

The side of the car without the charge port is also easier and cheaper to repair than the one where its located.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Now we are starting to get somewhere. What model did you have? (What was the MSRP?)

Part of the reason a Tesla is totaled so often is because they fetch a high amount at auction. Your car could easily go for $20k at auction. So if you had a base AWD, $47k, that would mean $24k in repairs + $1k in rental + $2k in DV could end up totaling the car.

This was just the base SR+, list was $37,990 so I have to think I'm in 'total territory' here.

Yep, especially if you make sure they know you are going to claim diminished value.
I mentioned DV to my insurance, and they told me they won’t do that for me and I have to claim it directly with the other guy’s insurance. They provided the contact info for me. Not sure if that’s the usual procedure or not or if that affects their decision.

I mentioned DV to my insurance, and they told me they won’t do that for me and I have to claim it directly with the other guy’s insurance. They provided the contact info for me. Not sure if that’s the usual procedure or not or if that affects their decision.

Yeah, you can only get DV from the at fault party. Which is why I find it better to work with them directly. (As a result they are more likely to total the car than your own insurance.) They also have to provide rental coverage as long as necessary where your insurance will be limited by your policy, which is likely less than a month.

Got some pictures from the repair shop with a better look at the damage. As of now my insurance still thinks they are doing a repair.

JZwWcGr.jpg

UzoxJaL.jpg

PvcoANW.jpg

llQ5smT.jpg

UwKy07x.jpg

KdAEi55.jpg