Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident while on EAP...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Literally this exact same scenario happened to me yesterday. On an off ramp that was going around a curve and the lane was wide like that one. Car in front of me was hugging the inside curve, going slow like in this footage. My car started to accelerate and acted like it was going to try to pass that car on its left, but there wasn't nearly enough room. There was about as much room as in this video. If I hadn't taken over I'm pretty sure it would've hit.

For reference, I have the latest update pushed by mobile service last week (2019.8.3).

Indeed ... still in beta, from what we can tell.

Reactions: Freewilly
Seems like AP was not engaged.
That said, I would hope AEB gets to the point soon where, regardless of AP, the car just doesn't hit cars in its' path. The slippery slope with that is that people will just have the car do all the braking, which of course is a bad idea without working FSD. Solution might be that any time AEB activates, it also sounds a very loud, obnoxious alarm in the car to wake up the driver.

• Disagree
Reactions: chinnam3 and jlv1
AEB doesn’t activate a low speeds. It’s only designed to slow the car when moving fast to reduce impact.
I agree that that is how it works now, (although automatic braking does work in low speeds in stop & go traffic), but why can't AEB be applied at slower speeds, and avoid impacts altogether (as opposed to reducing impact). It always knows relative speeds and distance.

I had a good scare on the weekend with the family in the car, going in a straight line EAP on, follow distance 1 (always been that but no longer). I saw the cars stopping at the light and figured the car would too but it actually felt like it was going faster into the stopped cars! I had to do some serious braking and my wife was not impressed to say the least! I don't remember EAP failing like that before when it clearly had a lock on the car in front.

Be careful out there! Just takes a momentary lapse and you have an accident.

Sorry, where is this list of "bugs" in 8.3? Haven't experienced that yet...

Dunno if anyone is maintaining a list - maybe in the 8.3 mega thread.

I have experienced just as many phantom braking events in 8.3 as 5.15 had. Very frustrating and unsafe. Auto lane change "freak outs" are also in both releases (where the car gets halfway over the line, dives back into the original lane then oscillates back and forth until you disengage).

I have heard reports of the AP computer rebooting while driving as well, causing all AP lines and adjacent car data to go away. Haven't experienced that one myself yet.

Reactions: Freewilly
Just to clarify in advance, this accident is completely my fault as I dozed off behind the wheel after a long day at work and very little sleep the night before, and it's my responsibility to maintain control of the car at all times, but I am concerned that the car didn't stop in this situation as is advertised in EAP features.

I was on a single lane highway interchange in relatively high traffic so speeds were slow, I'm guessing that we were below 30MPH as the airbags didn't deploy. In the attached videos, you can see that my Model 3 didn't veer in either direction to avoid the accident and it obviously didn't slow down. I think the glare from the sun might have played a role in not recognizing the brake lights of the Forrester in front of me, but I would think that the radar sensors would have picked up the rapidly closing distance between the car in front of me and my car.

I emailed Tesla, but haven't received a response yet. I am planning on taking the car in on Monday to get it repaired and I'm hoping they can download the data to see what might have happened.

My intention in sharing is that many of you will be more attentive when using EAP and don't be a dummy like me and fall asleep behind the wheel.

IMG_6296 - Streamable
IMG_6297 - Streamable
IMG_6295 - Streamable

Glad no-one was hurt. Seems like the automatic emergency braking should have prevented this whether the autopilot was on or off. I've been in a similar situation (no AP, in the rain) where the car was rapidly slowing down before I could even get my foot on the brake.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
After reviewing the video a few times, it does look like AP was still active.

Vehicle 1 (the OP's vehicle), was still perfectly centred in his lane around a bend in the road. If AP disengaged then vehicle 1 would have ceased to follow the curve in the road and would have proceeded straight into the guardrail rather than into vehicle 2.

Additionally, since vehicle 1's driver (the OP), claims to have dosed off, AP would have begun beeping like crazy before disengaging, thus arousing the OP from his slumber. AP doesn't just disengage without warning.

From the evidence I can see at this time, this looks like a failure of the AP system. The only thing that could change this determination would be additional data showing that the driver of vehicle 1 hit the accelerator before impact. But I don't believe this to be the case as there is no video evidence showing that vehicle 1 lurched forward from an unexpected accelerator hit.

Sorry.. previous Police and private investigator here. These are observations from my professional opinion. I could be wrong with additional information presented.. but I think my determination is correct.
I disagree. This looks exactly like an accident I caused, were I dozed off in stop and go traffic in a "normal" car, thus without any autopilot and were I rearended another car. I came awake, when I heard my car crashing into the car in front. I think by resting his hand on the wheel, he OP must have inadvertantly ,turned of autopilot and his foot must have been, on the accelarator because you see the car picking up speed and going straight ahead. Im pretty sure no braking was done at all by the OP to just the last second, when he already hit the car in front of him. (after that I swore never to do any of those microsleeps again, no matter what, you think you will be awake by the time that the trraffic wil stop again, but you really dont)

I disagree. This looks exactly like an accident I caused, were I dozed off in stop and go traffic in a "normal" car, thus without any autopilot and were I rearended another car. I came awake, when I heard my car crashing into the car in front. I think by resting his hand on the wheel, he OP must have inadvertantly ,turned of autopilot and his foot must have been, on the accelarator because you see the car picking up speed and going straight ahead. Im pretty sure no braking was done at all by the OP to just the last second, when he already hit the car in front of him. (after that I swore never to do any of those microsleeps again, no matter what, you think you will be awake by the time that the trraffic wil stop again, but you really dont)
I think its a good case, why a eyetracker would be a good thing. When the car detects that your eyes are closed, it would then at least begin trying to get you awake again, by beeping, etc... Im not so sure, if it also then should begin taking over control from you, suppose that like it seems to be in this case, where the OP inadverantly disabled autopilot. Should autopilot refuse, to have the autopilot disabled in that case. What about a accident , that would happen, after autopilot has denied to let a sleeping driver disable autopilot. Who would be in error, tesla or you. I would say still you offcourse, you shouldnt have dozed off, but it opens a can of worms, that even tesla will be afraid to open.

Last edited:
Reactions: T-Will
1. Driver fell asleep in AP, presumably no touching of brakes or accelerator
2. Radar [?] tracking of lead car erroneously merged into the second car ahead, AP thinks it has more space and tries to close the gap
3. AEB failed because lead car was partially offside in curve

As many others have said, I think some slight accelerator pressure could have had this result and is one of the most likely scenarios.

As far as points 2& 3, it's a little hard to say, but if you look at the following distance that the AP was using earlier in the offramp, it seemed pretty generous, and while it is definitely hard to say, I think it is unlikely it would have closed the gap to the second car ahead enough to hit the Forester - even if that's what it was trying to do. It was actually quite close to the next car (closer than it was to the Forester earlier) when the collision occurred. Aside from that, I have a hard time seeing how it could have seen the next car given the location of the radar on the right-hand side of the bumper. Hard to say though.

What you propose is certainly possible in points 2 & 3, or it could just be a software bug/glitch which are apparently common, but just offering a couple counterpoints to that hypothesis.

Hopefully Tesla will tell the OP, and he seems like he'll let us know, if Tesla actually tells him what happened.

I am still waiting for Tesla to add the data overlay (steering position, speed, pedal actuation, EAP mode, temp, time, etc.) to the dashcam videos. It would make threads like this a lot shorter and less speculative! Probably would save Tesla hassle too (though maybe open them up to liability for accuracy of the overlay?).

Reactions: whatthe2 and OPRCE
Except one out of the 4 they tested did... The Subaru.

More complete context...

"We replicated that scenario for AEB testing, with a lead vehicle making a late lane change as it closed in on the parked balloon car. No car in our test could avoid a collision beyond 30 mph, and as we neared that upper limit, the Tesla and the Subaru provided no warning or braking."

"NHTSA's stationary-vehicle AEB test is performed at a single speed, 25 mph, and it only requires that the vehicle scrub off 9.8 mph before impact. In our testing, all the cars easily cleared that low bar, but one model stood far above the rest. The Subaru Impreza—the least expensive car of the four, with a stereo-camera system that eschews the usual radar sensor—still prevented a collision at 45 mph, a higher speed than any other car here, before it nosed into the stationary inflatable target."

"In our stationary-vehicle test, the Impreza's first run at 50 mph resulted in the hardest hit of the day, punting the inflatable target at 30 mph. It was only on the second attempt that the Subaru's EyeSight system impressively trimmed the speed to just 12 mph before the collision."