Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidentally drove Model 3 through garage door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An actual conversation I had with my 29yr old girlfriend after she drove my car.

Girlfriend "A trailer hit the back of your car"
Me "Did you get the guys insurance?"
Girlfriend "No, he was not around"
Me "So you backed into a trailer?"
Girlfriend "Nope, I was backing up and it was in my way"
Me "Didn't you look at the camera?"
Girlfriend "Nope, I use the mirrors"
Me "What about the parking sensor beeps?"
Girlfriend "I thought they always beeped when in reverse"
Me "Yep, it was definitely the trailers fault"

She must be related to your girlfriend...

I turned the car into my driveway and started regenerative braking. I realized that rate of the deceleration was not high enough so that I pressed a pedal. But unfortunately it was a wrong pedal. I do not think there was warning before and after the pedal was pressed.
I think perhaps your expectation of the car is outside of the capability at the moment. Currently the car assumes that you're the expert. If you're pressing the accelerator, it's not going to stop you. You only have to imagine if it is incorrectly detecting an object to see why doing so would be a problem. What if it suddenly detects a nonexistent wall in the middle of the freeway? Your actions take precedent over the car's programming.

I'm sorry about your garage door and car.

If the car was functioning properly, it did warn you when you were about to hit the door, just as mine does when I approach a parking lot divider, or am pulling in too close to another car. Most likely explanation is that it did throw a warning but that you were (understandably) too freaked out about the fact you were about to run into your garage door to notice it.

Photos please!
woodisgood said:
More information or photos would help. We hope you and your Model 3 and your garage door are alright.
named.jpg
The car began entering when the shutter was up about a quarter the bottom section was flipped inside, the shutter was pushed up as the car moved forward for about 2/3 of it's length into the garage when it stopped. I pressed the accelerator to complete entering into the garage.
The garage door required a major repair costing over 1K. Rear window of the Mecedes parked inside was shuttered. But amazingly the model 3 suffered from practically no damage. There are minute scratches on the rear and front windows and no dents anywhere.

I pressed the accelerator to complete entering into the garage.

You showed true grit and determination.

EDIT: Mostly unrelated, my wife once decided to close the garage door on her car as she was driving into the garage. She, too, pushed through, in spite of the door being stuck on the roof rack. Always forwards! I was able to rivet and hammer the garage door back together.

Last edited:
So, if I read this thread correctly. This basically summarize it up.

He used regen to slowly get in the garage (coming home). But the regen braking was too slow so he "tap" the accelerator (not knowing how powerful it would be), ended up crashing the front of his car to the garage door.

Bro, there is absolutely no way for the sensor to do anything at that close range and you slamming on the pedal. The torque on that car is too much for basically a few feet.

My Tesla Model 3 let itself break through garage door. Why it could not stop itself instead?
Is it not yet ready for that much capability for driver assistance?
You were going too slow for the collision avoidance capabilities to be activated. The car will almost always let the driver override safety. For experimentation, I used some empty boxes in the driveway, not close to the house, but wasn’t brave enough to hit them at more than 10 mph (and I have PPF). I found Summon will steer away from the box but doesn’t steer back into the original direction. When Boxes were to the side and I was in front the car stopped about a foot away...I was prepared to step back and stop Summon if that didn’t happen.

The owners manual is helpful outlining some limitations of the tech, too.

So, if I read this thread correctly. This basically summarize it up.

He used regen to slowly get in the garage (coming home). But the regen braking was too slow so he "tap" the accelerator (not knowing how powerful it would be), ended up crashing the front of his car to the garage door.

Bro, there is absolutely no way for the sensor to do anything at that close range and you slamming on the pedal. The torque on that car is too much for basically a few feet.

I actually read it as:

1) Started to regen into his driveway
2) Regen was not enough, so he went to hit the brake.
3) Hit the accelerator instead.
4) Hit the garage door (with the windshield?) as it was partially opening, blasted through the lowest segment. Mercedes safety glass rear window was the collateral damage from this inward garage door intrusion, but the laminate glass of the Model 3 proved to be the victor in the battle with the garage door.
5) Continued pressing forward into the garage, without worrying about things, letting the garage door scrape over the top of the car (it was only 2/3 of the way in so there was still some glass roof to go maybe?), as the damage was done at that point.

A surprise advantage of a glass roof! No scrapes!

This is funny. It sounds like typical attempt to shift blame from oneself to something else. Instead of "OMG I drove through my garage door because I didnt notice it was not open!!!" Its "OMG how could my tesla drive through the garage door!!!"

I suspect the OP got in his/ her car, hit reverse, stepped on it, crashed into the door, and now is wondering why the tesla did not override his / her driver input. Thus the title and text:

“Mistakes were made.”

I made that comment several times here (that these cars are not "M3"s and its silly to call them such because thats another brands halo car name), but was told repeatedly "Its just tesla forums talk" and "its fine". I decided it was not the "hill I wanted to die on" so to speak but I wont call a model 3 an "m3".. because its not... any more than some other car beside a porsche is a 911.

There are also quite a few Model Xs with Front Wheel Drive! (ducks)

Took me weeks on this forum to figure out that EAP means two different things and just when I figure it out Tesla eliminates one of them.

You showed true grit and determination.

EDIT: Mostly unrelated, my wife once decided to close the garage door on her car as she was driving into the garage. She, too, pushed through, in spite of the door being stuck on the roof rack. Always forwards! I was able to rivet and hammer the garage door back together.

Two weeks ago my wife was driving my truck to the airport because she didn’t want to park her 3 there. My truck is a 2005 but I had it repainted in January. She didn’t turn the wheel hard enough going through a tight Starbucks drive-thru and dented the bumper. Instead of revearsing she pushed through and now the truck is in the shop getting the bumper AND front quarter panel painted. The weird thing she is typically a very good driver but this was, obviously, before her first cup of coffee.

You were going too slow for the collision avoidance capabilities to be activated. The car will almost always let the driver override safety. For experimentation, I used some empty boxes in the driveway, not close to the house, but wasn’t brave enough to hit them at more than 10 mph (and I have PPF). I found Summon will steer away from the box but doesn’t steer back into the original direction. When Boxes were to the side and I was in front the car stopped about a foot away...I was prepared to step back and stop Summon if that didn’t happen.

The owners manual is helpful outlining some limitations of the tech, too.
Obstacle Aware avoidance is only supposed to work under 10mph per the manual. I thought they added this feature to try to address unintended acceleration in parking lots. I was kind of wondering how (or if) it works. I haven’t seen any test videos of it.
I actually wonder if the OP was going over 10mph.

No offense to OP, but you can't blame the car for any of this.

The garage door wasn't remotely in the way of the ultrasonic sensors, in the BUMPER. Yes, the cameras can probably see the garage door, but the emergency braking and such is only active between 7 and 90 mph(page 87 of the manual), and it might not be enabled in your settings. Any scratches on the rear window are even more your fault for powering through.

I am always careful to remind people I'm letting try out driving my 3 that the natural tendency is to assume the pedal under the foot that's slowing the car down is the brake, and not to just press it harder. Sounds like you learned that one the hard way.

That said, using regenerative braking to enter ones garage is pretty hardcore, too, since theres very little regenerative braking to be had at the very low speeds you should be experiencing when entering a garage, even ignoring the Mercedes in the other bay.

Last edited:
Obstacle Aware avoidance is only supposed to work under 10mph per the manual. I thought they added this feature to try to address unintended acceleration in parking lots. I was kind of wondering how (or if) it works. I haven’t seen any test videos of it.
Hmmm, mine hit the box and I wasn’t going fast enough to really feel if she slowed down. This led me to think the system didn’t kick on until a higher speed but this could be an incorrect conclusion.

I'm guessing the OP was behind the wheel and accidentally hit the accelerator before opening the garage door, and is wondering why the sensors in the car didn't detect and stop it.

If so, it's a good question. Does the car have the ability to stop itself when it detects an object getting too close? I know it can while driving, but I have never tried it in a confined space at low speeds.

Those of us in icy climates "drive thru" parking sensor warnings regularly. Can't tell you how many times sun melts snow on the car to n cold weather and it freezes over the sensor.

This is my understanding as well, but I haven't heard any reports of anyone testing it. It might not be applicable in the OP's case as the garage door was opening, and likely above the ultrasonic sensors when it happened. The ultrasonic sensors are the only way the car can do obstacle avoidance at low speed.

I have it turned off as I don't want my car stopping for false detection's. It's also been awhile since I've played chicken with a garage door. Although I do it with my bike where I stop just before hitting the garage door, but I'm just trying to beat my previous record. I don't generally keep timing records with my Tesla.

Reactions: Donz_S