Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Account email changed without a request from me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I was unable to login to my Tesla account. When I tried to reset the password I got a popup that my email was not associated with the account. I called and was told that my local service center had requested an email address change. It turned out the new address was mine as well, so I was able to login and change back to the address of my choice. I did contact the service center a couple of months ago from a different email address than that on my account, but at no time had I requested a change. I've called them from numbers other than my contact numbers as well, but have not had my contact numbers changed.

Tesla needs to enhance account security. At the very least I should be notified when a change to my account is requested. But Tesla should not change contact information without a direct and verified request from the account owner to do so.

This would be the place to put a rant about 2 factor authentication as an account option.

That's really surprising: Elon has enough experience in online security to realize this is an issue. With access to the app, someone has access to the car: exact location, unlock, start, drive. At the VERY least there should be automated "Here's the change just made to your account" (to the old address) so that someone has the chance to say "NO!"