Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accuracy of trip planners with new S60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my S60 yesterday in Atlanta and I was worried about the drive home from Atlanta to Hoover, Al due to both evtripping.com and evtripplanner.com stating that I'd get home with only 28-35 miles remaining if I drive at or below the speed limit.

After making that trip, I'm seriously questioning the accuracy of those two websites. I topped off to 210 miles at the Atlantic Station charger and then started the trip home. It was rush hour and the interstates were dead still. So I cut through town and hopped on I-20 from "Hamilton E Homes Dr NW". I had already called and arranged to charge at a nissan dealership located about halfway through the trip. So I didn't bother driving slow like the trip planners suggested. I set the cruise control on 77 since that was what traffic was moving at and just kept an eye on the charge level. When I got close to the Nissan dealership I noticed that I still had about 65% of the battery left. So I decided to just skip charging. I ended up making it home with 52 miles remaining with the cruise set at 77 and even bumping it up to 80 at times.

Are the trip planning sites that inaccurate in general or is there a difference in the older S60 and new S60 that they don't account for?

Evtripplanner is slightly optimistic for my 60. It doesn't appear to take air and vampire into account. Using 1.1 for the setting gets it just about perfect fot me. Evtripping had a problem with not tracking regen in my area, but that's fixed. Did you set the car parameters correctly for your car? An error in them could account for your experience.

As I said previously, using 1.1 for a multiplyer gets me close to right. That is what it is there for. Evtripping preferences is set for 5 mi over. I find that we tend to drive faster than we think. if you drive exactly on the limit or slightly under, you have the assumption used for the base calculation. I dont think anyone can do that with a Tesla. After you have used one of these apps a few times, you can get the adjustments very close to your real data. There is too much varience between drivers to expect one size fits all.

Be careful next time, you do not want to be left stranded. We all had our moments of elation that the car has substantially better than predicted consumption. At least in my experience , a better-than-expected range is uniformly related to tailwind. Also my p85d performs best at 75-85 F despite using AC.