Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual length?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many sources indicate the CT is 232 inches long. But compared to the Ford short-bed in the tug of war video which is known to be 232 inches long, the CT appears to be at least a foot longer - more like 244 inches. Elon has indicated they can make it 6 inches shorter, but did not indicate the actual length they will hit.

Anybody have more definitive info on what the actual length will be?

upload_2019-12-24_11-33-57.png

(Red arrows are the same length)

@keeny
I can confirm the current CT length is as advertised and the same as a 5.5ft bed F150 at 231.9". I've redrawn the CT on CAD using othorgonic photos from different directions and they all meet up with the dimensions given. It is rather silly to assume Tesla would advertise a vehicle with the wrong dimensions. What would their benefit be to do that?

The photo you are using is completely skewd as you can see the whole back of the F150 and none of the CTs rear. The shot is essentially side on to the CT with the F150 to the left. At that perspective the F150 looks shorter but isn't. Its just further away.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar and MP3Mike
View attachment 492468

I find it funny how people find more legitimacy in a skewed photo then the specs provided by the manufacturer. Tesla gives the length down to a tenth of an inch but of course this photo taken off-center with 40:1 ratio of the truck with 300px red arrows is proof that Tesla is lying about the advertised length.

Reactions: MP3Mike and JBee
Not claiming they are lying, but it sure looks a lot larger than the Ford in the photo. I agree there could be some skew in the photo, but it seems like its not 7% of skew. So just wondering if somebody has definitive numbers from Tesla they can cite. Where is the 232 dimension everyone is talking about originally coming from?

Not claiming they are lying, but it sure looks a lot larger than the Ford in the photo. I agree there could be some skew in the photo, but it seems like its not 7% of skew. So just wondering if somebody has definitive numbers from Tesla they can cite. Where is the 232 dimension everyone is talking about originally coming from?

OK, I see now the 231.7 inch dimension in Tesla's original unveiling. Still, its tough to argue with what the minds eye sees in the photo.

Last edited:
I expect the CT to be some 6" shorter according to EMs tweet, but retain interior space and bed size of the prototype.

Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of it really being 232 or shorter.

I would personally prefer that they use the 6 extra inches to make the bed truly 78" long from the bottom all the way up the back wall of the cab instead of just at the bottom of the bed as shown in the prototype. They are losing 6 to 8 inches where the lower front wall of the cab slopes inward over the bed and another few inches where the cab roof overhangs (where the roll top turns the corner).

Reactions: Shygar
Yeah would be better if is was straight on the rear seat wall as well as shorter overall. Wheelbase compromises ramp over and turning circle.

A full height 2m (6.5ft) bed would be great, especially for a camper on the back, for a full length sleeper, but I have a version where I made the sleeper work in the pop up roof and still allows access to the back bed with standing height at the same time.

I wouldn't worry about the photos. Tesla is advertising specific dimensions on their website and that is what I would go by. I wouldn't even count on them reducing the length by 6 inches until they confirm that reduction on the website.

View attachment 492468
Looking at it the cameras not at an equal perspective and is closer to the CT. Larger appearance could just be camera angle. During his presentation I think he stated 232”.

And as this entire thread why does it matter? It’s a 1/2 ton truck so it will be the size of a 1/2 ton which is at LEAST 228” (Titan). 210”-223” is mid sized truck territory, it makes no sense to go that small.

Reactions: Ehninger1212