Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual shipment and installation of Powerwall 2

When will the first Founders Series Powerwall 2 (Tesla Referral Program prize) be installed?

• April-May 2017

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm the "Bob from Iowa" who recently bought (via written agreement and a deposit) ThatGoogleGuy's Powerwall 2 (PW2). We're obviously at the mercy of Tesla regarding when they'll ship his Founders Series PW2 earned in the Referral Program. And more importantly, if Tesla will ship and/or install directly to/for me (I'm not expecting that, but would be super-thrilled if they did).

So is there anyone who has actually, physically received their PW2 yet? In addition to this purchase of the red PW2, I also placed my order with $500 deposit for a regular white PW2 back on 10/31/16. I'd like to stack the red PW2 in front of the regular white PW2, as I likely need the 27 kWh to store my excess solar production from my 16 kW system (for my home, Model S, Cadillac ELR, and Chevy Volt).

I received my call from SolarCity/Tesla Energy at Tesla HQ back in January, saying that my reservation on the white PW2 would be "coming soon." Since then it's been crickets. I know Tesla has been busy fulfilling Powerpack orders for utilities; ergo, this delay on the PW2 is not surprising (but still a bit frustrating...sort of like how we're all eagerly awaiting our Model 3s). But I'm really hoping someone can share more information about an ACTUAL shipment and/or installation (either Founders Series or regular white PW2), as Tesla has stated a Tesla-certified electrician must install the PW2 (e.g., warranty). And I know their focus is on the CA rollout first, as that's where I'm reading about the site surveys this past month or two. But I'm in Iowa, and there is not a single Tesla-certified electrician in the Quad Cities area. I made my own appointment with Koehler Electric (one of the biggest/best electrical contractors in my area) for a site survey this Friday. But I don't know if I'm wasting my time and money, if Tesla isn't shipping PW2s soon or certifying anyone for my installation. To further complicate things, I'm currently installing phase two of my solar (going from 10.4 to 16.1 kW of ACPV solar with the addition of my 3rd ground-mount array of 20 panels; so 60 panels total). My building permit and utility interconnection agreement both include the PW2, but I will soon finish the solar without physically having my PW2(s)! And if that happens, then I need to start the entire process over with a new (2nd) building permit and (2nd) utility interconnection agreement (including paying said fees again), according to both bureaucracies. Grrr. I've read endless stories on TMC about site surveys, but what I'm seeking here on this forum is evidence/stories of the steps "after" site surveys (i.e., actual installations of the first PW2s). Many thanks for your help!

I got a call from them a couple days ago asking about my inquiry from 2 years ago. I asked when any installations would be happening in or around Reno since we are right by where they are being made and he was calling from Las Vegas. He said that there isn't any information at this time. Geez, 2 years later and still no idea as to when. I told him I already have Solar City on my roof and drive a Leaf with a current 1st day reservation on the Model 3 so don't plan on any big expenditures until I know how much the M3 will cost with the options I want so I don't price myself out of my M3. Then I told him after I have both cars charging at home, I may want to upsize my PV system when I can determine better my needs. He couldn't help with that either. I told him I would just order on the website when I'm ready to. Wasn't sure of how a powerwall would affect my net metering either. Really makes you wonder why they bother calling.

The phone reps are almost useless. When I called last week to inquire about my installation (when, if ever, it will take place), the phone rep said that she didn't have access to the list of certified installers so she couldn't tell me if there was an installer in my area or not. She couldn't even tell me who *does* have access to that information but did give me a phone number to call and for me to select option 2. It was the tesla number I had just called.

How do they not have access to this information? How does management think this scenario is okay?:

Customer: Hi, I'd like to know if there's a powerwall installer in my area?
Tesla Rep: I don't have access to that information.
Customer: Okay. Can you direct me to someone who does.
Tesla Rep: I'm not sure who has access to that list. However, you can call 650-681-5100 and select option 2 from the menu.
Customer: Um, that's the number I just dialed and option that I selected that resulted in me talking to you.
Tesla Rep: Oh.

It's as if they have a secretary answering the battery products extension but haven't told her yet.

• Funny
Reactions: Falkirk
Btw, I wasn't being sexist when I referred to a secretary as "her" above. I had that actual conversation with a female phone rep and had that in my mind when typing all that out. It could just as easily be a clueless dude who answers the battery products extension.

• Disagree
Reactions: Atebit
Our system was installed in SoCal in May, and worked fine for a few weeks. On June 10th the battery went up to a full charge, then flatlined. I was finally able to get Solar City out, and they were unable to repair it, then they came to swap the Gateway, and that did not work. Needless to say it has been a bit frustrating. Have not been able to get past the spam filter on the Tesla site, happy to have found this one.

I assume you meant it went to zero? I see a flat line when I chart my batteries SOC, but in my case they are at 100%
No, it was the end of the day, charged up to 100, then did not start discharging, just seemed to disappear around 6 PM. The techs believe the problem is with the Gateway. I don't have one installed at the moment, so I have no communication with the system.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170611-083841.png
    Screenshot_20170611-083841.png
    285.1 KB · Views: 111