Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add 20 something daughter to M3P insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An ongoing discussion with my daughter in the Mead household has been "dad how much would it cost to add me to mums M3P insurance?" As she's about to turn 23, and I noticed on the "Young Tesla Drivers" thread that Churchill will allow 23 year olds on policies I thought I would get on Moneysupermarket and see what it came up with.

In the past when we have tried the same comparison the difference in price with/without daughter has been around £1,200.

On this occasion - £732 with daughter and £312 without (so a cost to add her of £420 for a year).

She has her own Clio. It's not happening.

Nevertheless, interesting results?

• Funny
Reactions: Doudeau and Twurzel
Agreed, thanks for sharing.

My daughter is 23 shortly too and we’re changing our 2nd car to a [EV] car that we can add her onto the insurance - I didn’t even think about getting a quote for her on our Tesla. Perhaps, subconsciously, for the same reason as you - I don’t see myself letting her drive it anyway.

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
That is interesting. I thought 25 was the magic age where it became reasonable to add younger drivers to a high performance car policy. Depends upon your definition of reasonable I suppose.

An ongoing discussion with my daughter in the Mead household has been "dad how much would it cost to add me to mums M3P insurance?" As she's about to turn 23, and I noticed on the "Young Tesla Drivers" thread that Churchill will allow 23 year olds on policies I thought I would get on Moneysupermarket and see what it came up with.

In the past when we have tried the same comparison the difference in price with/without daughter has been around £1,200.

On this occasion - £732 with daughter and £312 without (so a cost to add her of £420 for a year).

That isn't bad at all. I am looking to buy soon and my quotes (late 20's East London) is coming to about £2k. However, this is largely due to location I believe.

You should have let her on the polcy - so long as she paid the £420 + 1/3rd of the monthly depreciation and deposited a security deposit of the x/s into your account and paid for her own charging + a proportion of service costs. Let them eat cake.

• Funny
Reactions: TheManofMead
That isn't bad at all. I am looking to buy soon and my quotes (late 20's East London) is coming to about £2k. However, this is largely due to location I believe.
Please note my situation is adding my daughter as an additional named driver.
If you are buying your own vehicle, and will be the main driver my scenario does not apply.
I'm guessing you are already aware you cannot "front" insurance by suggesting a parent is a main driver (when the son/daughter really is).

Please note my situation is adding my daughter as an additional named driver.
If you are buying your own vehicle, and will be the main driver my scenario does not apply.
I'm guessing you are already aware you cannot "front" insurance by suggesting a parent is a main driver (when the son/daughter really is).

Thanks - yup I am aware however I did check the cost of doing it with my parents as the main driver. Still £1400 due to location. I think time to move house soon!

I didn't think it was possible to insure an M3P for £312 whatever age you are???
how did you manage that? what do you do park in a police station over night, have an annual mileage of 2000 miles and a voluntary excess of one arm and both legs?
Mine isn't quite that cheap, but it's under £400. That's with it being parked on the driveway and for full business use for up to 10,000 miles pa as well.

I’d hate to think what the insurance would be on the Typhoon!

3 Typhoons flew past the house today low flying along the loch ... number 3 should be assessed for higher insurance ... took a line slightly too wide on the first curve making it scarily tight on the second zag after the zig ... I was expecting him/her to just head skywards instead of trying to follow the others but he/she still kept it low between the hills ... I listened for any explosions in the distance ... nope, they all made it!!

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.