Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add a 110v outlet inside of the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember reading how a 12v dc converter can blow the fuse or ruin the 12v battery, is there a safe way to have a 110v outlet installed that runs off the main battery so I could for example plugin my laptop? You'd think an electric car would have an option for an outlet :)

I was worried about blowing a fuse, too, but I think that happened with a Roadster and not a Model S. In any case, I have been using this in my Model S without incident for a couple of years now. You might want to check how much wattage the laptop draws to see if it will be compatible.

Amazon.com : BESTEK® 150W Power Inverter Car Charger with 2 USB Charging Ports(3.1A Shared) : Cell Phone Car Chargers : Electronics
Isn't this incredibly inefficient? If you plug a laptop into this, the power brick converts the 120V AC back to low voltage (probably 5V) DC.

I'm not an EE, but seems like you lose power in converting to AC and then back to DC for a DC appliance.

Reactions: Big_nobody
you can get adapter that plugs into the 12v outlet and goes directly to the laptop - just do search 'laptop car adapter' on amazon to see examples...

Does seem silly to go from 12v dc up to 110v ac then back down to 19v dc (most laptops)

Reactions: emmz0r
Isn't this incredibly inefficient? If you plug a laptop into this, the power brick converts the 120V AC back to low voltage (probably 5V) DC.

I'm not an EE, but seems like you lose power in converting to AC and then back to DC for a DC appliance.

Yes, not ideal, but I wasn't using it for a laptop. Is there a better way to add a 110V outlet?

I remember reading how a 12v dc converter can blow the fuse or ruin the 12v battery, is there a safe way to have a 110v outlet installed that runs off the main battery so I could for example plugin my laptop? You'd think an electric car would have an option for an outlet :)

May be a lot easier to get a 12V adapter for your laptop. It's a lot more efficient.

Lemme see. A diesel generator, with a flex pipe down thru the trunk floor ought to do it, right?
I mean, honestly, I can't think of any reason to need 110 in a car. Phones charge easily already, and if I charge MINE at home, it lasts all day. I never charge my phones in the car. Of course, I have one of those Apple competitors that have a battery that lasts a day and a half. I'd recommend getting another phone. Where I shop, they give folks credit for their old piece of the pie and put the new phone on a payment plan the appears on the phone bill, so it's almost painless.

Reactions: shellderp
Lemme see. A diesel generator, with a flex pipe down thru the trunk floor ought to do it, right?
I mean, honestly, I can't think of any reason to need 110 in a car. Phones charge easily already, and if I charge MINE at home, it lasts all day. I never charge my phones in the car. Of course, I have one of those Apple competitors that have a battery that lasts a day and a half. I'd recommend getting another phone. Where I shop, they give folks credit for their old piece of the pie and put the new phone on a payment plan the appears on the phone bill, so it's almost painless.
Is this post seriously meant to add something to this six year old thread, or are you just trying to impress us with your knowledge of how to trade in a phone?

Reactions: Silicon Desert
OP did not ask if you know of any reasons to need a 110V outlet in a car. He asked how to do it.

Reactions: Kevrick and bedoig