Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add a specific ferry crossing to navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if I missed something obvious but is there no way to add a particular ferry crossing to the navigation when travelling abroad?

I’m going to Le Mans this year and will be using the Portsmouth-Le Harve ferry on the route out. When doing a dummy run adding Le Mans as the destination it defaults to Dover-Calais. I can add Portsmouth then Le Harve as stops but rather comically the nav then tells me to drive from Portsmouth to Dover, then Calais to Le Harve.

Appreciate I can break the trip down to two parts, do a charge if required around Portsmouth instead of hunting for somewhere as soon as you get off the ferry in France, but it would be nice to give the car the full route and plan the charge stops itself.

The trouble with letting the car plan the charge stops when a ferry/chunnel crossing is involved is that its range and, thus, charge stop calculations will assume you're driving the entire crossing (long-standing bug). Better to split the trip into two legs, making sure you arrive at Portsmouth with a reasonable charge to make it to an SuC on the other side. Then again, it's been 6 months since I last crossed the channel so maybe the bug has been fixed in the meantime.

A Better Route Planner or its equivalent phone app will help with route planning.

I've tried ABRP with a ferry crossing from Newcastle, and found it awkward to pick the ferry as part of the route.
I found it easier in the end to just navigate to the ferry terminal, ensuring I had enough for at least an hour's driving at the other end, and treat that as a new trip in the navigation

Reactions: ringi
Thanks all, I did try ABRP too but could only get it to do Portsmouth to Caen.

I’ll just split the journey in two, plenty of options to get some charge in around Portsmouth.
Sorry for not giving the correct option - I just put in Portsmouth and saw it crossed the channel.

To make ABRP use Portsmouth - Le Havre, zoom into Le Havre and you will see the ferry crossings shown as blue lines, including the Portsmouth one.

On a PC right click on the crossing (over the sea), and click on 'Add ferry line' in the pop up that appears. On the app (on Android) just touch and hold the crossing and click on 'Add ferry line'.

This seems to work for most crossings, but it doesn't complete the routing if I add the Newcastle - Ijmuiden crossing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Garry TheBiz
I’ll just split the journey in two, plenty of options to get some charge in around Portsmouth.
We use Havant v2 supercharger quite often. Not too far out of Portsmouth especially if coming from A3. Don’t bother with gunwharf quay chargers.

Just watch out for high curb on left hand turn of exit and no facilities. Enjoy the rollercoaster ride in and out of the industrial estate ;

I noticed this on my first trip to Ireland - Dublin. From North East Scotland , and further trips into Europe , it’s just planning and it works out OK as the car thinks you are driving the whole way so you should have spare miles at the other side

I do Dublin and Düsseldorf / Brussels trip four times a year from Aberdeen never had an issue …. apart from road works in Ireland , they closed the slip road to a super charger , still made Dublin OK though , but have covered my options and have plenty of charging cards for EU/IR for my overnights

Struggling to use ABRP with ferries....

I can right click the ferry route on the map to add that as a waypoint, but the directions still either take me by land (and alternative ferry) or I'm told it can't calculate the route.

I know I could break the trips up into segments, just hoped that there was a tool available that could include the ferry routes so that I can see the total distance and charging time without having to do multiple calculations.

For reference I'm trying to plan to take a ferry from Newcastle > Amsterdam then drive to Denmark to get a ferry to Norway then drive to Sweden to get a ferry to Poland. Then back to Dunkirk via Slovakia.

Maybe that's beyond what ABRP can do in one plan.

Edit: Seems google maps also has issues with this, mostly the Newcastle-Amsterdam crossing.

Last edited:
I believe the trick is to select the ferry route as a waypoint, i.e. the dotted line in the sea/river estuary. This is pretty hard to do, and best done on a PC rather than the mobile app. It can take a few attempts, and I've only managed it once. That was for the same Newcastle to Amsterdam route.

In the end I gave up and set a desired SOC at Newcastle of 50% in ABRP. Then planned a separate route from Amsterdam starting at 50%.

I believe the trick is to select the ferry route as a waypoint, i.e. the dotted line in the sea/river estuary.

I tried that, using O/Ps route. Worked for the ferry crossing from Denmark to Norway, but when I added Newcastle to Amsterdam I then got "Route cannot be calculated", same as O/P

I find if you zoom right in, on the dotted-line for the ferry route (somewhere in the sea!), its easy to click on it to set waypoint

I believe the trick is to select the ferry route as a waypoint, i.e. the dotted line in the sea/river estuary. This is pretty hard to do, and best done on a PC rather than the mobile app
Thanks. I was on the PC and found the ferry route and was able to right click and add it to the plan, yet with it included, ABRP errored saying the route could not be calculated.

I tried that, using O/Ps route. Worked for the ferry crossing from Denmark to Norway, but when I added Newcastle to Amsterdam I then got "Route cannot be calculated", same as O/P

I wonder if it is the responsibility of the ferry company to provide the route to GIS?

The 3 other crossings were all added automatically to the plan without right clicking the ferry route on the map. Adding DFDS Newcastle as a way point then DFDS Ijmuiden (Amsterdam) as the next waypoint took me by road down to Dover then across to Calais and up. The journey time is quicker that way which may be the reason.

Adding DFDS Newcastle as a way point then DFDS Ijmuiden (Amsterdam) as the next waypoint took me by road down to Dover then across to Calais and up

Yes, I got that too (until I added the ferry-route itself as a waypoint - the dotted-line-route then correctly showed the ferry, but then I got "Can't calculate route" which I reckon is exactly what you got too).

There is a forum for ABRP and they seem pretty keen to me, so you might get an answer there?

Reactions: Medved_77