Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a second charger for 80A charging - dual charger - how helpful is Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first car, 2012 S85 had a dual charger and i had installed an HPWC. I liked it and i enjoyed the quick charges even though I did not have too many times when i actually needed to charge very quick.

My new one, 2015 S90D, i bought it from a showroom, love it but it has a single charger. A friend is willing to sell me one of his chargers from a 2014 S85.

Telsa is making it sound like a big deal. They want to charge $1000.00 for the transplant, and they are not even sure they can do it.

$1000.00 for a few bolts and a hose connection followed by running some script on a computer?

Has anyone done such a transplant. Are they being helpful you think?

I sure am finding the SC is getting less and less helpful as days go by, especially compared to the old days in 2013.

Thanks.

I wonder if there is any issue that they need to be matched. (Both Gen1 or Gen2.)

Maybe when you pay the $2,000 to add the second charger they replace both of them as a set?

But are you saying you are going to take the second charger and your car to them for install, or are you asking them to pull the charger out of the 2014 and then put it in the 2015? If so, I would think $500/car in labor seems reasonable for tearing it apart, putting it back together, updating the options, re-flashing the firmware, purging the air in the coolant loop, and testing that everything still works as it should.

Personally I would spend the extra $1,000 and get a new warrantied charger.

Dual chargers used to be a $1,500 option when configuring a new car. Now it's $2,000 to have one installed after the fact, so that's $500 extra to put it in a car at a service center. You're basically doubling that, to take it out of one and then put it in another, so $1,000 seems exactly right.

The service center install used to be $3,600, or a $2,100 premium over having it installed from the start!