Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding driver not possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Extended search didn’t help, so here is the problem.
I was trying to add my partner to the car as driver. (Not profile, as own driver with own app login).

But she gets an error message that there is a “vehicle error”.
I am also one of the few that don’t have the charge statistics.

FE293D49-2C54-4819-9A81-70B2BA7EE134.jpeg

Reactions: terrapinballet
SNAP. I have exactly the same problem. Cannot find a solution and Tesla service request initiated from within the App simply tells me to add the driver in the Desktop Site which is clearly incorrect now. ( possibly was the case previously ?? )

Cannot find a solution without probably having to wait on the phone 40mins?

Reactions: terrapinballet
I was trying to add my partner to the car as driver. (Not profile, as own driver with own app login).

View attachment 772380
If it helps I followed the destructions at Tesla Account Support under section Car Access, after logging out of the application on phone 2 and logging back in it connected to the car with full functionality

I am using the very latest version of the APP on both my phone and my wife. We both have iPhones.

This is my thread where nobody has offered any solution as yet except why do I need a separate account. I need a separate account as

a) it's IT / Security best practice
b) MFA is setup for good reasons and you can only have that on 1 phone (my phone my account) - if we share the account it works but my wife may need to contact me to get a new MFA token - don't want that situation to occur when she is trying to get back into the car - yes, I know she *should* have her plastic RFID card with her too but I suspect that won't always happen.

If it helps I followed the destructions at Tesla Account Support under section Car Access, after logging out of the application on phone 2 and logging back in it connected to the car with full functionality
Alas, this is what I followed exactly and I'm not the only person who is having this problem now. There is another thread, exactly the same issue. All I want to know is how I raise an App Support ticket with Tesla. I raised a 'Service' request and they just close it down telling me I should go to the Desktop Compute Account site which is clearly wrong as the guidelines above tell you. The functionality is in the App now.

b) MFA is setup for good reasons and you can only have that on 1 phone (my phone my account) - if we share the account it works but my wife may need to contact me to get a new MFA token - don't want that situation to occur when she is trying to get back into the car - yes, I know she *should* have her plastic RFID card with her too but I suspect that won't always happen.

I would prefer to have a separate driver profile too but you can have more than one app for MFA, one on your phone and other on hers.

View attachment 772380

As previously stated, I had this error message at the weekend. Tesla Service Center folk have now resolved my issue by them adding my car to my wife's Tesla Account. No word of explanation of why the 'self add driver' method is failing but my wife now has her own Tesla account and MFA token controlling our car. If anyone else experiences, this I raised a 'service request', 'other' category, you still have to pick a service center and then they will contact you by SMS cancelling the appointment and you can converse by SMS to get the issue resolved. Ask them to add your car to your partner's account, give them their name and email address. If they still don't sort it, ask them to escalate to their internal support team

We had this exact scenario recently with my parents who live in California. They were out visiting us last year and I had my mom create an account for herself and added her to my car so she could control the heated seats from her phone in the back. A couple of months later she hired a Model 3 off of Turo and when the other driver tried to add her, she kept getting the same message in her app. When she created a new account and chose US as the region, it worked fine.

OP - did your wife accidentally select the wrong country when creating her Tesla account?

Exactly the same issue/error. Tesla support said they had requested that an invite be sent out directly to the wife's phone to add the new MY. Never happened and we get the same error every-time. Even tried setting her up with a brand new account but no luck.