Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding USB-C data to 2022 model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had the strangest interactions trying to have the service centers near me in NJ to sell me the parts and/or install.

My first attempt was to install it myself after purchasing the parts. The messages and invoice was all set for pickup. And while picking up they had no idea why it said they could sell them to me. They couldn’t. I left with nothing since I didn’t have time to have them install.

I live near another center as well so I said let’s have them install the parts since I’d be in the area. I get there today and after 45 mins they come out and say they can’t install the parts because they are from an older revision. They promptly sell me the parts I didn’t already have for $40.

Is there any risk to installing the usb port that I’m not understanding?

Attachments

• IMG_5067.jpeg
    IMG_5067.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5066.jpeg
    IMG_5066.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5065.jpeg
    IMG_5065.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 79
I’m on AMD. Just finished setting it up, worked perfect. And of course after I had all the panels off the long usb cable was already installed just sitting there tucked away
Some cars didn't have the cable. There was a while where USB hubs with data were in high demand and Tesla officially were not doing retrofits for cars without data (so they may refuse to install or sell it). It may vary between SCs because their experiences with customers may vary. For example some may have had customers that had failed self installs, some are stricter by the books and may question when you try to buy a part not officially supported by your car (as there can be incompatibility issues sometimes).

So I have this which I got when I picked up my 2022 model Y… which supposedly will add USB data… just never got around to installing it.

View attachment 963592
I just bought one of these today, should be here in about a week. I liked the fact that it came with the cable. The install video on their website is pretty good, doesn't look difficult at all. You should put yours in!