Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Additional Drivers - Use same account or not?

How do Additional Drivers access your Tesla?

• Shared Account

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Individual Accounts

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M3P_W8

2021 M3P
Jan 12, 2021
UK
For those of you that allow others to drive your Tesla's via their own phones, do you share your Tesla account details with them or invite them to use their own Tesla account?

My M3P will be delivered next week. Unfortunately the other half will want to have a go at some point (if she can tear me out of it!). It seems that there are various pros and cons for each option and I've yet to identify the best approach.... so I thought I'd just go with the majority!

For those of you that allow others to drive your Tesla's via their own phones, do you share your Tesla account details with them or invite them to use their own Tesla account?

My M3P will be delivered next week. Unfortunately the other half will want to have a go at some point (if she can tear me out of it!). It seems that there are various pros and cons for each option and I've yet to identify the best approach.... so I thought I'd just go with the majority!
If they're not going to be a regular driver (as in they're going to drive once every few months) - set them up on one of the two key cards - or just show them how to select their own profile on the screen - they don't really need app access I would say on those occasions :)

If you want them to have app access (and it's not a lease car) then it's easier for you to just add them as an additional driver in your Tesla account (login on Tesla website).

Remember anyone you give app access too can play around with the windows, locks, frunk, boot, climate, etc... at any time - as well as prevent your car from sleeping if they open the app! Something to consider if you really want to risk it, if it's not necessary?

Reactions: M3P_W8
If they're not going to be a regular driver (as in they're going to drive once every few months) - set them up on one of the two key cards - or just show them how to select their own profile on the screen - they don't really need app access I would say on those occasions :)

If you want them to have app access (and it's not a lease car) then it's easier for you to just add them as an additional driver in your Tesla account (login on Tesla website).
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Whilst I tend to do the majority of the driving, the other half will probably use it once or twice a week, so I think it makes sense to have access through her phone.

it's not a lease, so no hurdles to jump through on that front.

When we picked up our M3 in August 2019 the Tesla recommendation was for me to give my wife my account login details and use the one account on both of our phones. Subsequently Tesla made it easier to delegate an authorisation for additional driver accounts through Tesla.com. About a year ago I added her as an additional authorised user and created her own Tesla account which she now uses on her phone. To be honest it worked seamlessly before and it still does now, so not really noticed any great difference either way. I suppose giving someone authorisation by means of their own Tesla account would make it easy to take the access away by the primary account holder. It also may mean that, if Tesla ever gets around to it, each user's in car settings may be saved and picked up when using another Tesla (it is a rumoured feature in the future).

Whichever path you decide on, my strong suggestion is that anyone using the car by means of the phone app should still always carry a key card and be shown how to use it. Phones do get lost, batteries go flat, and it is possible that a glitch occurs rendering the phone app unusable. Without a key card, were your other half to have difficulty entering or starting the car the key card could save quite a lot of hassle.

TBH. It doesn't matter. Additional drivers that you can easily setup are relatively new so we started of with using the shared login, but have since moved to additional drivers we use our own accounts.

There are advantages and disadvantages of both. Depends on whether you want simplicity (shared) or security (separate).

With shared, everything is shared, including loot box, service records access and upgrades. I certainly would not be wanting to give any of that to a stranger.
With separate, you lose all of that and gain MFA. But at an inconvenience of multiple accounts and loss of visibility of some items which may or may not be an issue.
Or as mentioned, just lose the phone unlock and use a key card. I've been saved by the key card on a couple of occasions and on many more having the key card on me saved a bit of inconvenience. They are only £25 or so for a pair so pretty cheap if you need more.
Driver profiles are completely unrelated so it doesn't matter what you chose or whether you change your mind later, its not affected in any way.

tbh I preferred it when we used shared as the car in in my wife's name but I organised all the referrals and servicing. etc.

One main difference will be the introduction of 2FA. If each driver uses their own account then there’s no issues when it comes to re-authentication. If the Mrs uses your account and she needs to re-authenticate when you’re not available to provide a 2FA code, she may be SOL.