Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Additional Range in a new LR RWD Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You just don't get it, try doing the math. The battery capacity portion of the equation isn't going to change, only the Wh/mile portion is going to change to report additional range being available. But there is nothing additional being unlocked or made available. They are just making the calculation come closer to the actual test results.
I finally understand what you're saying. The entire time I thought you were talking about that real-time efficiency wh/mi thing the car shows you that isn't influenced by the battery capacity calculation at all. Yes you're right, I agree with you. I just mis-understood.

I just hope they'll be more honest about this going forward. making the cars look like they all got the same range ended up being more confusing for owners than just explaining there's a slight range hit for AWD

Exactly, I think this is why they are making the change. They used the same efficiency number in the range calculation for the LR RWD, AWD, and Performance versions, but the AWD and Performance versions are much more thirsty. So by updating the LR RWD efficiency number they are making things more accurate and showing that you actually have a range penalty for going with AWD. (Which is opposite of how it is for the S&X where the AWD variants were more efficient.)

I just hope they'll be more honest about this going forward. making the cars look like they all got the same range ended up being more confusing for owners than just explaining there's a slight range hit for AWD
Honestly, the only reason that comes to mind as to why they did this is because they didn't want it known that the Model 3 LR had just about as much range as a Model S 100D with such a huge cost delta between them.

Not sure why they changed their mind now but it is a welcomed development.

Honestly, the only reason that comes to mind as to why they did this is because they didn't want it known that the Model 3 LR had just about as much range as a Model S 100D with such a huge cost delta between them.

I've never understood this argument. There are so many instances where a optioned up cheap car can be faster/ more luxurious or whatever than a base high end model. you might be right, I honestly don't know, but I think there are many more reasons to want one over the other than just range.

I've never understood this argument. There are so many instances where a optioned up cheap car can be faster/ more luxurious or whatever than a base high end model. you might be right, I honestly don't know, but I think there are many more reasons to want one over the other than just range.

Yeah I think that's the difference though. There is really only one manufacturer in the EV space that offers any real options. And they definitely wanted more people to buy Model S' than 3's early on due to the profit margins. If they have indeed increased the margins that much on the 3 where they no longer care which option the buyer chooses then that is a likely reason why the rated mileage is being increased.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Yeah I think that's the difference though. There is really only one manufacturer in the EV space that offers any real options. And they definitely wanted more people to buy Model S' than 3's early on due to the profit margins. If they have indeed increased the margins that much on the 3 where they no longer care which option the buyer chooses then that is a likely reason why the rated mileage is being increased.

Very likely the M3P+ have taken up S orders. Refreshed S and X is needed to continue selling those in that price point.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ