Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Additional type 2 cable - good price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hijacking this thread a little...

I'm going to have to granny charge - how long is the granny charger tesla provide? I may need an extension lead, too, (albeit only a 2-3m one) as I'm hoping the cable can run under the garage's closed door.

No, 3 phase has more voltage.
So 16 amp 3 phase is 11 KW.
32 amp single phase is 7 KW.
P = i v
Simple ?

Yes. But that's no help if the chargepoint you want to use has only single phase 32A (as the majority of points in the UK do). A 16A cable will leave you charging at half speed.

The universal cable (for use with Tesla vehicles) is 32A 3-phase, as that will get you the maximum charge rate at any chargepoint.

If you are willing to compromise and only buy a cable to suit the common points in a given area, maybe in N.Ireland the 3-phase 16A is the more useful given the widespread 22kW points on the Ecar NI network (though when you do encounter one of the few 7kW in the area you would only achieve 3.6kW with that cable). Conversely in many parts of England the single phase 32A would be more useful as 7.3kW points predominate and the single phase cable will still get that 7.3kW from a 22kW point - with a Model 3 you would only be missing out on an extra 3.6kW. Or you could buy no cable at all and restrict yourself to CCS rapids for public charging.

You can use a 3 phase cable for single phase or 3 phase. You only ever need a 3 Phase 32amp cable
Corroborated by Type 2, triphase 32A charging cable - evChargeking

“The cable has 5 x 6mm² conductors, allowing 3 x 32A current, which represents a charging capacity of 22 Kw. It is of course perfectly possible to charge at 16 or 32A single or 3-phase with this cable!”

No mention of 3 phase if that affects anyone's decision. So you probably won't get the Model 3's full 11kW at the rare 3 phase chargers. It will theoretically be an easier to manage cable, but not all cables are made equal and the 3 phase one we got with our Model 3 is very manageable so it may not be much different to the OEM one.

It'll still be OK for 7.2 kW though, won't it?

Yes.

Most AC public chargers are 32A single phase.

In the UK, yes. Don't take a single-phase cable to the Netherlands, where there's a lot of public charging at 16A 3-phase (so you get 3.6kW with the single phase cable, 11kW with the 3-phase cable).

Personally, I'd buy a single phase cable if I was getting it for a specific purpose (like a home untethered chargepoint), but for a go-anywhere cable 3-phase is the better bet: public AC charging is pretty slow at the best of times and you want the best you can get.

OTOH, maybe my thinking is out-of-date: if you think Superchargers/CCS rapids are now so common that you are only buying the type2 cable like a spare tyre, hoping you never need it, the lighter weight and lower price of the single phase may be more appropriate.

I've used my Type2 cable less than I expected (before I had the car), but it has saved my bacon on the odd occasion.

No mention of 3 phase if that affects anyone's decision. So you probably won't get the Model 3's full 11kW at the rare 3 phase chargers.

The only time I have had to use my Tesla cable (in Dunbar) the charge point turned out to be 3 phase and obviously with a consistent high voltage because the car reported receiving a consistent 12kW!! (And charged at a very reasonable 16p per kWh.) The ChargePlaceScotland charge point in question is capable of 22kW but the Model 3 is only rated for 11kW on 3 phase of course.

Moderator comment - question moved from "Spare Type 2 Charger Cable"

Hi

I have just had a PodPoint Untethered unit fitted and I am looking for a spare Type 2 to Type 2 charging cable so I can keep it in the garage, and therefore leave the Tesla one in the car (as I will forget to move the cable between the garage and car after use, and the one time I may need one, I wont have it)

Any suggestions of where to purchase a cable that can be used with the PodPoint and left in the garage. (Looking for one about same length as the Tesla one)

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I searched and could not find anything similar.

Looking forward to your replies.

Last edited by a moderator: