TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Adjustable Charge Rate Through Mobile App

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by rolosrevenge, Feb 20, 2013.

1. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I'm curious to know if you can adjust the amperage of the charging from the Model S mobile app. I know that you can see SOC and set the climate control.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Not in the current (yea, that was on purpose) version.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

3. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

Can you do it in the car itself? I know the Roadster Let you adjust the current draw at least between 12 and 15 A on 120 V. I figured the Model S would have several setpoints as well.

4. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Yes, you can set the charging current from the Charging screen on the 17".

5. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

hmm, I wonder if they'll ever allow that to be set through the app.

6. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Just curious what use case you see for that. It's seems to me for all the reasons I would want to reduce the charge rate, I'd want to do it while I was still at the car. I suppose it would save me getting back inside the car.

7. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

When I spend the night in a hotel, the car is often 1/2 mile away at a charger. Sometimes I forget to set the charging rate so it will finish shortly before I want the car in the morning. Or even if I remember, somebody else may come in and want to use the charger and call me (I leave my number on the dash). Neither case is common; but it would be very nice to change the charge rate remotely.

Also recall that the Tesla remembers charging rates based on location. If I lower the rate to 24a and spend the night, then several days later on the way back home put the car on the same charger in the middle of the day and go for a walk...I may remember part way through the walk that I need to crank the rate up. Another rare case, but still really nice to have when it happens.

8. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Yes, but 12A is the max for the 120V adapter. That makes senses for 15A circuits, but it means you can't take advantage of more current from 20A circuits.