Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advanced driving course in a M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone gone through the IAM RoadSmart / RoSPA or similar advanced driving course in a Model 3?
Any tips or anything I need to know?

Obviously not having gears to change and significant regenerative breaking is going to make a difference but how does that work in practice? Is it easy to separate breaking(speed) and acceleration phases of the system when it's all one pedal? Does the smoothness or huge amount of power make it easier or harder? Should I keep it in chill mode with a 70mph limit or my usual AB sport mode?
I guess having the speed in large numbers along with a bar showing my acceleration or (regen) breaking right in front of the examiner I'm not going to get away with much.
If there's interest I might post my experience in a few months.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
Anyone gone through the IAM RoadSmart / RoSPA or similar advanced driving course

Not sure if it was quite the same but @DJP31 has done

and this link

the para that starts "And neatly back to the first point about ease of charging. When I did my 2 day high performance driving course ..."

Anyone gone through the IAM RoadSmart / RoSPA or similar advanced driving course in a Model 3?

Obviously not having gears to change and significant regenerative breaking is going to make a difference but how does that work in practice? Is it easy to separate breaking(speed) and acceleration phases of the system when it's all one pedal? Does the smoothness or huge amount of power make it easier or harder? Should I keep it in chill mode with a 70mph limit or my usual AB sport mode?
I guess having the speed in large numbers along with a bar showing my acceleration or (regen) breaking right in front of the examiner I'm not going to get away with much.
Very well remembered by @WannabeOwner! I did the IAM in my Model S and manged a First :). It's all about maintaining the balance of the car and a smooth transistion between power on and off. It's not easier or harder, just different, but attention to the speedo is definately needed!

I then went on to the do the HPC course and that was the first experience the trainer/examiner has had of an EV and the immediate torque surprised him greatly!

I'd highly reocmmend both and would leave chill mode well alone - especially if you go for the HPC..

I did it last year in a M3 performance. An observer suggested I put it in chill to curb the acceleration, but it felt like it was broken. I moved the seat back half an inch instead. When it comes to the test, tell the tester about regen and where to look to see it working, and point out that it feels odd if you're not used to it.

I managed a first, so it is possible.

Reactions: mikeyg_ev and DJP31
When it comes to the test, tell the tester about regen and where to look to see it working, and point out that it feels odd if you're not used to it.
... it shouldn't feel odd to the instructor/tester, surely? They should just be aware that they are being driven even more smoothly than they are used to ... unless the driver just lifts off the pedal every time they are slowing down, which is definitely not Advanced Motoring!

... it shouldn't feel odd to the instructor/tester, surely? They should just be aware that they are being driven even more smoothly than they are used to ... unless the driver just lifts off the pedal every time they are slowing down, which is definitely not Advanced Motoring!
I think if an instructor isn't aware of regen it would be a good idea to mention it, and also cover the scenario where in an ICE you'd lift off and maybe cover the brake. You wouldn't need to do this in a BEV which to the uneducated could be taken as not reading what's happening on the road ahead.

Reactions: Adopado
I did it last year in a M3 performance. An observer suggested I put it in chill to curb the acceleration, but it felt like it was broken. I moved the seat back half an inch instead. When it comes to the test, tell the tester about regen and where to look to see it working, and point out that it feels odd if you're not used to it.

I managed a first, so it is possible.
I don't mind telling people about the car :D
Did you have to mention that the lane departure warning may go off if you move close to the edge of the lane? - or just turn it off every time?
Happy to avoid chill. If it was always in chill mode that would be fine, but swapping between the two the car just doesn't move the way you expect it to.

I have a Motorsport UK motorsports ARDS licence which includes a track test. Didn't do it in a Tesla, but having run the MS on track in the standard (and in my car, non-defeatable) setting, in any case you have to brake a lot harder than regen does. And then regen takes care of the trail-braking as you come off the actual brakes, keeping the weight forward to battle the obvious understeer till you come back on the power.