Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advanced Summon Coming Soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else excited to see what the advanced capabilities will allow? I believe it should be coming fairly soon if they are tracking. Didn't EM mentioned around 6 weeks in early November?

I wonder how long it will take for them to rollout across entire fleet. I could see this being one they want to slow roll...

• Funny
Reactions: cgrubbe
Sorry, but I'm skeptical on this. I don't think it will ever come for areas other than the owner's own property. It will have the ability, but the liability will just be too great. The legal questions will prevent its use where people might be walking or other vehicles or property might be damaged. No insurance company will cover it, and Tesla certainly will not accept liability.

We are at the point where it is not a technical problem, but a legal one. The rest of FSD is in the same boat.

Reactions: TankoftheNorth
Sorry, but I'm skeptical on this. I don't think it will ever come for areas other than the owner's own property. It will have the ability, but the liability will just be too great. The legal questions will prevent its use where people might be walking or other vehicles or property might be damaged. No insurance company will cover it, and Tesla certainly will not accept liability.

We are at the point where it is not a technical problem, but a legal one. The rest of FSD is in the same boat.
Genuinely curious why you think insurance won’t cover summon damage.

Genuinely curious why you think insurance won’t cover summon damage.
Okay, maybe Lloyds of London, who will come up with a premium to cover ANY stupid thing somebody wants to do. Your average insurer wants to have somebody liable. If you aren't driving the car, they won't want to accept that liability. The first driver who's car runs some kid down will blame Tesla.

Tesla can't let the car drive itself down the highway without the driver having their hands on the wheel because of drivers having accidents and trying to say "I wasn't driving, the car was". Regulators said they had to force people to be driving, or they would pull the plug on Autosteer. No way Summon will be able to do much more than it already does anywhere except your own driveway.

Okay, maybe Lloyds of London, who will come up with a premium to cover ANY stupid thing somebody wants to do. Your average insurer wants to have somebody liable. If you aren't driving the car, they won't want to accept that liability. The first driver who's car runs some kid down will blame Tesla.

Tesla can't let the car drive itself down the highway without the driver having their hands on the wheel because of drivers having accidents and trying to say "I wasn't driving, the car was". Regulators said they had to force people to be driving, or they would pull the plug on Autosteer. No way Summon will be able to do much more than it already does anywhere except your own driveway.

Not true with Gieco. They provided me documentation of my coverage which has an autonomy section already built in.

When there is no one in the drivers seat....the standard liability applies in an accident. I've never seen an accident outcome changed based on who is in the drivers seat.
The police/authorities determine who was at fault....then the insurance companies battle it out.

Not true with Gieco. They provided me documentation of my coverage which has an autonomy section already built in.

When there is no one in the drivers seat....the standard liability applies in an accident. I've never seen an accident outcome changed based on who is in the drivers seat.
The police/authorities determine who was at fault....then the insurance companies battle it out.
Where I live, police are not involved in an accident on private property. Perhaps they would if someone were injured.

Where I live, police are not involved in an accident on private property. Perhaps they would if someone were injured.

Ok question.

Lets say someone is injured.

Why would the insurance companies payout be different based on what or who was in the drivers seat?

My premium won't change.

We are paying our insurance companies to rally their lawyers and battle for us. At least that's my objective.

Some folks seem confused about what the summon coming in "supposedly" less than 6 weeks is.

It's not the "Car comes and gets you anywhere in the world, and then goes and finds a spot anywhere in the world when you get out"

That's part of FSD, not EAP. So that's not coming any sooner than HW3- and probably not for a while after.

This is "Car comes to your location, on private property only, but can now do so in more than directly straight lines, moving around objects to get there"

And probably does so at like 2 mph.

No idea if they'll use GPS to in any way enforce the private property bit- but I'm positive they'll have that in the terms of use when you enable it.

That's fine....then I will go somewhere else, however as it stands TODAY....right now --- I'm covered for anything Tesla comes up with.

In todays society I don't mind paying for "full/anything" coverage. Its a peace of mind thing.
I just reviewed my Geico policy. It doesn't contain the words "autonomy" or "autonomous". Maybe it varies by state.

Anyway, I'm glad you are happy with your coverage, and I'm willing to admit that I'm wrong about insurance for now. I reserve the right to say "I told you so" later. ;)

That's fine....then I will go somewhere else, however as it stands TODAY....right now --- I'm covered for anything Tesla comes up with.

In todays society I don't mind paying for "full/anything" coverage. Its a peace of mind thing.

The issue is getting insurance at a reasonable rate after being cancelled. I have tow friends that were cancelled by Geico for no good reason which is why I left them. There are really two top insurance companies in the US, AAA and USAA, the rest will throw you under the bus in some circumstances. If you talk to people in the insurance claim industry you will find this to be true. A good insurance company can be critical in some cases and that is when you need them. Umbrella policies are a very good thing.