Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advertised EV's should more realistic after the first charge @ POS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when you go to purchase your SR+ with a stated range of 240 miles do you realise that after the first full charge it will never reach that range again. First year 230. Second year 212. Before a level off this is the nature of lithium ion technology. But does the consumer new to the game realise this before taking the plunge as it is not very well explained? Add on winter temps which reduces that what was 240 to 170 or less and you could end up making the wrong choice.

(Lets hope battery day smashes this crap to bits plz and adds a large buffer, winter only buffer) <-- Winter Buffer... Pen in that term.

Last edited:
So when you go to purchase your SR+ with a stated range of 240 miles do you realise that after the first full charge it will never reach that range again. First year 230. Second year 212. Before a level off this is the nature of lithium ion technology. But does the consumer new to the game realise this before taking the plunge as it is not very well explained? Add on winter temps which reduces that what was 240 to 170 or less and you could end up making the wrong choice.

(Lets hope battery day smashes this crap to bits plz and adds a large buffer, winter only buffer) <-- Winter Buffer... Pen in that term.
In the US the EPA should change how they rate EVs. It is unrealistic to expect people to drive from full to empty.

Reactions: CertLive
I know what you are saying. The Zoe had a range calculator on their web
site at on point. Speed and temp so I had way to much time time on my
hands and built a graph of speed ad temp vs. range. Before i got my Model 3
I went to Utube and found lots of range videos and watched the 100mph video on range.
I got a paper map and made a circle that enclosed 90% of my desired places to go.
Measured the distance X 2 and figured the winter (-30%) and the loss in the
battery 10 years (-15%) and said a model 3 LR would be good for 20 years..
I am sure someone has graphs for real world model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: CertLive
I think it’s important to note that the EPA-mandated test regimen requires the car have 4,000 miles of usage before testing. Brand new cars should have MORE than the EPA-rated range, such that the initially high degradation rate, inherent to all Li-ion batteries, allows the car to still meet rated range at 4,000 miles.

my max range for LR RWD has fluctuated (for better and worse) throughout my 2.5 years of ownership. The worst I've seen it is 299. The best is 324. More typically it's around 308-316.

Yes, winter range drops. Same thing happened in my ICE. It feels more impactful with an EV because there's not a charging station at every intersection.

But yeah, some day we'll laugh at current battery limitations, the same way we do with casette tapes or CFL bulbs. transitional tech.

upload_2020-8-22_11-41-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-22_11-40-14.png
    upload_2020-8-22_11-40-14.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
I agree with your sentiment, but not your proposed method. I need to build context for why.

---

ICE vehicles are required to post fuel efficiency per distance (MPG, L/100km, etc.), and the amount of fuel (gallons, litres) is usually somewhere in the public specs as well. These are well-understood units by most of the population at this point, as well as being something you can actually see (amount) or find an equivalent physical interpretation of (efficiency).

The equivalent for amount of "fuel" for EVs would be kWh, and efficiency something like Wh/km or mi/kWh. This "fuel" measure is unfamiliar to almost everyone, but distance is familiar. Further, distance for EVs is important due to the current lack of fast fueling infrastructure compared to ICE fuel. Marketing distance is therefore a necessity, though not technically desirable.

This has led to confusion because vehicles are magic as far as most people are concerned, and electricity even more so. The common understanding of ICE fuel efficiency (drops at higher speeds, etc.) could very well not apply to the "magical" electricity. And EVs have so much torque, you might not even realize it requires so much more power to ascend a hill for example (because it feels easy).

(Of note, even this efficiency understanding might not be common for ICE. See: people driving faster to "reach a gas station" when low)

I still struggle with what exactly a kWh is. It's a 100W bulb for 10 hours. It's a 1800W microwave for about 33 minutes. These are very abstract and not perceptibly physical. I get about 132Wh/km on my drives. Is that good? Is that like a 20MPG car, or a 50MPG car? I still can't answer that. We have very little reference for EVs.

I would love if they primarily published Wh/mi or Wh/km, and then the usable battery capacity. This would be equivalent (ish) to what they publish for ICE vehicles. The EPA even does this, but the Wh/mi they show is based on total efficiency with a standardized charge setup - for Model 3, it's about 89% efficient. The result is where the car tells you that you are driving at the rated efficiency (say, 234Wh/mi), the EPA says that number is more like 263. Both numbers are correct in their own way - the EPA is telling you what to expect in fueling costs (since the charging efficiency matters here) from the wall outlet to the battery, whereas the car is telling you how much energy it is taking from the battery to move.

It's messy, confusing, and you can paint a lot of different pictures. EVs are just more complicated to represent than an ICE vehicle that goes through a physical quantity of matter.

---

Regarding daily usable range, this is a tricky one.

I'll advocate to anyone that they need to take the current advertised range and only take 80% of it. This is to reflect using 10-90%: not above 90% daily to preserve the battery, and above 10% for your sanity to make it to the next charge (you do this for ICE as well, fueling stations are just more common).

Now, will we always need to subtract 10% for daily charging to preserve health? Perhaps a manufacturer bakes this 10% buffer in and we don't need to consider it, and charging to "100%" is fine. Or, maybe battery developments in the future mean that storing it at 100% isn't a problem.

A sort of "Daily recommended usable" could suffice here, but I struggle with how to define it in a way the manufacturers would be on board with. Event the 90% daily recommendation from Tesla isn't wholly scientific and precise - it's rounded to 10% increments! What would the threshold be for what is an OK state of charge? What if the battery chemistry changes? This is so incredibly hard to define (in a way that allows adaptation to future technologies and advancements) that I believe any effort spent doing so would be wasted. At least from a regulatory standpoint - obviously, per-model, fan communities and the manufacturers do communicate best practices and such, and you can infer what states of charge are OK.

---

Now, regarding temperature effects on range. I agree they need to convey this impact somehow, but I'm unclear on how. EVs with resistive heaters (like Model 3, etc.) will use a lot more. EVs with heat pumps (Hyundai/Kia, etc.) will use less in some temperature ranges, but ultimately will be just as bad as a resistive heater at lower temperatures. Future EVs may even include combustion heaters - this is actually a very effective and efficient use of fossil fuels.

Any testing or standardization of range marketing with respect to cold temperatures needs to account for today's realities and future developments. This problem is easier to tackle from a procedure design perspective, I think. But I do wonder what the requirements are for essentially building huge environment chambers to do these tests. Assuming these don't already exist, they would need to be carefully designed, built, and their value to be clear. This would take a few years.

---

And finally, degradation.

Like I mentioned for the other bits, this might change over time. ICE vehicles also loss efficiency (though not as much as EV fans might have you believe) which impacts their marketed number as well. However, they're not required to publish any sorts of numbers on this. And again, like the other bits, I would struggle with how they would define this. Some engines would behave especially poorly, while others would perform much better on average. Sounds... like degradation!

Of course, the battery degradation does hurt more for all the typical EV range reasons. And unlike an ICE vehicle, true degradation is not fixable (at least not cheaply, as it would require at least parts of the battery to be replaced, which there isn't much precedent for currently and the whole pack is replaced instead). Further, unlike an ICE, routine maintenance isn't much of a factor in preserving the life and efficiency of the powertrain, so less of the liability of decreased performance lies with the customer. It is instead inherent in the design.

But ultimately, like ICE, it would be hard to represent this beyond warranties. New engines are made, new cell chemistries are used. They have expectations, but their true future performance is an educated bet.

---

tl;dr: It sucks, but what we have today is best when paired with verbal understandings of degradation and temperature effects. Kind of like we do for ICE vehicles already. I would only prefer additional clear marketing of Wh/mi or Wh/km ratings.

End of essay.