Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice from the Enlightened

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Filter

MS LR Blue/White
Jun 2, 2015
United States
Good evening,

First - I love the new look of this site!

Now, to my question. I am considering a leftover demo p85d vs a new inventory 70D to take advantage of the referral credit - and because I just want a Tesla.
I am skipping over the 90D since I am leasing, and the P85D is coming in close to what a 90D would cost.
I can afford both, but I am having trouble justifying the P85D for daily driving in NY.
I never thought I would consider the car...but the acceleration is amazing. Previously, I was thinking about a CPO car, then a basic 70D, then a loaded 70D, and now this.

The "sacrifice" for the P85D is that the color selection is not what I would usually pick. Otherwise, it is well configured.
With a 70D - I can get exactly the color combination I want due to the wide availability of inventory cars.

So, do current owners actually use the performance of the upgraded car more than as a novelty? I have owned a Porsche Cayman and have enjoyed it tremendously -but more for the handling than the power. Any thoughts appreciated. I have read the previous threads, but thought I would ask today since I plan to decide tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance.

I have a P85+ and use the power often. I don't do crazy launches, spin outs or any of that. But I really appreciate the instant power that allows me to put the car exactly where I want it in about 1-2 seconds. I can't comment on if the 70 will do that. I am sure the P85D will and most likely better than my car.

[QUOTE=" for daily driving in NY.[/QUOTE]

Whatever you get, i'd get a D being in NY. I'd suggest the cold weather package and for only $1k, I almost got it in FL! In comparing the 70D to the 90D, I found a massive difference in performance and justified price of the 90D. The jump to the P85D or P90D was simply out of my price range.

The color - interior and exterior - is something you will notice EVERY time you walk up to your car. I would wait for the right CPO and get the color you want. Best of luck in your decision.

[QUOTE=" for daily driving in NY.

Whatever you get, i'd get a D being in NY. I'd suggest the cold weather package and for only $1k, I almost got it in FL! In comparing the 70D to the 90D, I found a massive difference in performance and justified price of the 90D. The jump to the P85D or P90D was simply out of my price range.

The color - interior and exterior - is something you will notice EVERY time you walk up to your car. I would wait for the right CPO and get the color you want. Best of luck in your decision.[/QUOTE]

Thank you all for the advice.
After discussing it with my wife, I opted for a nicely equipped 70D.
I have 3 kids and with NY traffic, I barely exceed the speed limit.
I think i may get another porsche cayman for the weekend - unless Tesla makes a new coupe!

Again, really appreciate the honest insights from the members on this forum.

Reactions: Max* and chriSharek