TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Advice from the Enlightened

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Filter, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Filter

Filter Member

Good evening,

First - I love the new look of this site!

Now, to my question. I am considering a leftover demo p85d vs a new inventory 70D to take advantage of the referral credit - and because I just want a Tesla.
    I am skipping over the 90D since I am leasing, and the P85D is coming in close to what a 90D would cost.
    I can afford both, but I am having trouble justifying the P85D for daily driving in NY.
    I never thought I would consider the car...but the acceleration is amazing. Previously, I was thinking about a CPO car, then a basic 70D, then a loaded 70D, and now this.

The "sacrifice" for the P85D is that the color selection is not what I would usually pick. Otherwise, it is well configured.
    With a 70D - I can get exactly the color combination I want due to the wide availability of inventory cars.

So, do current owners actually use the performance of the upgraded car more than as a novelty? I have owned a Porsche Cayman and have enjoyed it tremendously -but more for the handling than the power. Any thoughts appreciated. I have read the previous threads, but thought I would ask today since I plan to decide tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance.

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I have a P85+ and use the power often. I don't do crazy launches, spin outs or any of that. But I really appreciate the instant power that allows me to put the car exactly where I want it in about 1-2 seconds. I can't comment on if the 70 will do that. I am sure the P85D will and most likely better than my car.

3. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

[QUOTE=" for daily driving in NY.[/QUOTE]

Whatever you get, i'd get a D being in NY. I'd suggest the cold weather package and for only $1k, I almost got it in FL! In comparing the 70D to the 90D, I found a massive difference in performance and justified price of the 90D. The jump to the P85D or P90D was simply out of my price range.

The color - interior and exterior - is something you will notice EVERY time you walk up to your car. I would wait for the right CPO and get the color you want. Best of luck in your decision.

4. Filter

Filter Member

Whatever you get, i'd get a D being in NY. I'd suggest the cold weather package and for only $1k, I almost got it in FL! In comparing the 70D to the 90D, I found a massive difference in performance and justified price of the 90D. The jump to the P85D or P90D was simply out of my price range.

The color - interior and exterior - is something you will notice EVERY time you walk up to your car. I would wait for the right CPO and get the color you want. Best of luck in your decision.[/QUOTE]

Thank you all for the advice.
    After discussing it with my wife, I opted for a nicely equipped 70D.
    I have 3 kids and with NY traffic, I barely exceed the speed limit.
    I think i may get another porsche cayman for the weekend - unless Tesla makes a new coupe!

Again, really appreciate the honest insights from the members on this forum.

• Like x 2