Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed: Convincing Husband to Go Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Short version: I need a new car. I want a Tesla, husband is afraid of the technology. Can I get some quick facts for him on how an EV works?

Longer version: My current car is a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible at 165k miles with a leak in the gas tank that requires a part that has been discontinued. It leaks gas every time I fill the tank. So, I need a new car. Neither my husband nor I have ever bought a car new, always used. His car is a 1995 Toyota Hilux that is in pretty decent shape considering its age, and his previous vehicle was a 1995 Ford Ranger that barely runs but he still won't get rid of despite never driving it. He is a plumber, and grew up with his father being a mechanic, and is very comfortable tinkering with things and fixing things with his hands. But he is technologically inept.

We test drove a Model 3 a few weeks ago and I loved it, and he did as well. I've been looking over our accounts and hunkering down my savings to prep for putting a good payment down and financing the rest for a new M3. I've always managed our finances and since paying off my student loans in January, the monthly payment would fit perfectly fine in my budget. Plus, I want a toy to celebrate that accomplishment. I've been spending a lot of time looking up the benefits of a Tesla, environmental impacts, advantages of EVs vs ICE, and asked a lot my specific questions to our Tesla Associate during the test drive about using the car and maneuvering on the road. I don't necessarily care about the finer details he is fixated on (much like I don't care how my current ICE runs, as long as it does in fact run.)

His main concern: "I just don't understand how it….works." I've told him to do some research like I have, but he still can't seem to grasp what makes the wheels physically move, how there's no transmission or gears, things like that. He's hesitant putting money down on a piece of technology that he can't understand.

Can I get some input on how to slap some sense into him? TIA.
The best thing I could suggest is tell him to watch some awesome YouTube videos out there. But first, make him watch drag strip videos with a Tesla (
) and then onto other videos that explain owning a Tesla. (For example,
)

Imagine, just waking up every morning and having a full "tank". If 99% of what you do is daily commuting and not traveling over 300 miles in a day, then I think this would be perfect for you!

• Love
Reactions: ellienovember
Short version: I need a new car. I want a Tesla, husband is afraid of the technology. Can I get some quick facts for him on how an EV works?

Longer version: My current car is a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible at 165k miles with a leak in the gas tank that requires a part that has been discontinued. It leaks gas every time I fill the tank. So, I need a new car. Neither my husband nor I have ever bought a car new, always used. His car is a 1995 Toyota Hilux that is in pretty decent shape considering its age, and his previous vehicle was a 1995 Ford Ranger that barely runs but he still won't get rid of despite never driving it. He is a plumber, and grew up with his father being a mechanic, and is very comfortable tinkering with things and fixing things with his hands. But he is technologically inept.

We test drove a Model 3 a few weeks ago and I loved it, and he did as well. I've been looking over our accounts and hunkering down my savings to prep for putting a good payment down and financing the rest for a new M3. I've always managed our finances and since paying off my student loans in January, the monthly payment would fit perfectly fine in my budget. Plus, I want a toy to celebrate that accomplishment. I've been spending a lot of time looking up the benefits of a Tesla, environmental impacts, advantages of EVs vs ICE, and asked a lot my specific questions to our Tesla Associate during the test drive about using the car and maneuvering on the road. I don't necessarily care about the finer details he is fixated on (much like I don't care how my current ICE runs, as long as it does in fact run.)

His main concern: "I just don't understand how it….works." I've told him to do some research like I have, but he still can't seem to grasp what makes the wheels physically move, how there's no transmission or gears, things like that. He's hesitant putting money down on a piece of technology that he can't understand.

Can I get some input on how to slap some sense into him? TIA.
How about a $5,000 rebate from your state? Sold.

Seriously though: Youtube..
Rich Rebuilds for the tinkerer inside him.
Dirty Tesla for the everyday.
What’s Inside if he’s still curious...

Just sent you a private message with some details. Also based in NJ and can offer some advice.

But in the meanwhile, if you really want to make your husband’s day, here’s a photo from my first major maintenance on the Model 3. This was my 10,000 mile service.

Sure, it was expensive at $2.99, but thankfully I bought enough supply for the 20,000 mile service when it’s due, too.

5E441E85-CD87-498B-9F5F-ECCA3DEDE293.jpeg

Just sent you a private message with some details. Also based in NJ and can offer some advice.

But in the meanwhile, if you really want to make your husband’s day, here’s a photo from my first major maintenance on the Model 3. This was my 10,000 mile service.

Sure, it was expensive at $2.99, but thankfully I bought enough supply for the 20,000 mile service when it’s due, too.

View attachment 515496

^^^^^^^THIS!!!^^^^^^^^^:)

Ski

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy

Are you certain about this?

I can’t imagine that he has never purchased something that he did not fully and completely understand precisely how it worked. Does he own a smartphone or a computer? If he is technologically inept like you said, I’m guessing he doesn’t know exactly how those things work either.

I guess I just feel like there’s something else that is giving him pause. Keep us updated on how things go.

There is an electric motor connected to a differential that drives the two wheels. In the AWD versions there are two motors and two differentials, one for the front and one for the back. That's it! The motors are capable of spinning at up to 20,000RPM and put out 100% of their torque from 0, so they don't need a transmission. They just pick one gear that's probably similar to 2nd or 3rd in a normal car and that's what you get all the time. The motors have enough torque to overcome any lag at the low end and enough RPMs to to get you up to highway speeds at the top end.

That's one of the main draws of an EV. They're so simple that they have very few moving parts and require almost no maintenance.

• Love
My current car is a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible at 165k miles with a leak in the gas tank that requires a part that has been discontinued. It leaks gas every time I fill the tank.
It's nice to know that the quality of Mitsu's Eclipse hasn't changed since I owned a 1990 Eclipse GSX. Consistency is a good thing. lol

The truth is that our gas-powered cars are very complex and sophisticated machines to manage to squeeze out a fair mileage. They look simple if you don't have to maintain them. But it's at the cost of a lot of parts. And maintenance. The Tesla's various features, GPS maps, autopilot, sound system are great, and he will warm up to them gradually, as he unspooks. The bottom line, as everyone is saying, is that's a very simple machine, battery to motor, and it happens to look, run and drive great. He'll get it, if you can just pull him in for now. He can go look at the people lined up at the gas pumps, I like to do that now and then. I check my tires' air and buy a soda.

• Love
I just had to drop $1500 on a new catalytic converter (parts, labor, and a few rust issues fixed) last month in order to pass the emissions test for my state's inspection, only for the check engine light to remain on due to the minor gas leak. Over the past few years I've also replaced the alternator, brake pads, spark plugs, some sort of belt, battery, a few tires, and regular oil changes. I'm done funneling money into this car.
You're bring back bad memories, LOL -- all that is gone gone gone from my life. And it ain't comin' back!

View attachment 515496
Slow down there hoss. Don’t forget to give those friction brakes a good hard jab every so often. (Arguably though TACC will do this too)

And you bought "that"? You really think that's his main concern? He is stalling. I am not sure what for... is your birthday coming up? :D

Just a few thoughts from a new (3 weeks) M3 owner.
The Model 3 is not a perfect car but its the best car I have ever owned. I cant see myself ever buying another ICE car.

You mentioned:
Knowing not a single person with a Tesla definitely adds to his apprehension.
Look around for a EV or Tesla group in your area - we attended a "meet up" today as it happens. A low key affair and a great way to have chat with a bunch of friendly people who are very happy to answer questions about their cars and their experiences. I think just seeing so many other people happy with their choice may allay his concerns. That and remind him that electric motors have been around for a very long time - they are extremely reliable. ICE engines are a marvel of complexity and it is amazing that they run as long as they do but it takes a lot of $$'s and time to keep them going.
Ask him: what he would like to do with all the extra free time he will have from not having to fix your car?

You and he might like to check out the Model3man channel. We found it very informative.

Sounds like most of your driving is local so charging at home as others have said means you always have a "full tank".
For long trips the car knows where the Superchargers are and will route you to them.

You see winter so you both will love being able to turn on the cabin and seat heaters in the morning while your inside the house sipping coffee then come out to a nice warm car.

The other point is your current car, if the gas leak cant be fixed, is a bomb - a critical safety issue.
The Model 3 on the other hand will never have that issue and is in fact the safest car in a crash you can get. He _does_ want you to be safe right, RIGHT? :)

One last thing - before you place your order - be sure to get someone who has a Tesla to send you their "referral code" so you can start off with some free Supercharger miles.

Good Luck!

• Love
I have only one question, how did you husband import a Toyota Hilux? Also what country are you from?
Fifth generation (N80, N90, N100, N110; 1988–1997)[edit]
‹ The template Infobox automobile is being considered for merging. ›
Fifth generation (N80, N90, N100, N110)

1994–1997 Toyota HiLux 4X4 Diesel
Overview
Also called

Production August 1988–1997
Assembly
Designer Shigeo Asai[16]
Body and chassis
Body style

Layout
Related
Powertrain
Engine

Transmission
  • 4-speed manual
  • 5-speed manual
  • 4-speed automatic
Dimensions
Wheelbase

• Regular cab: 2,616 mm (103.0 in)
  • Regular cab (long bed): 2,850 mm (112.2 in)
  • Xtracab: 3,086 mm (121.5 in)
  • Xtracab V6: 3,096 mm (121.9 in)
Length
  • Regular cab: 4,435 mm (174.6 in)
  • Regular cab (long bed): 4,724 mm (186.0 in)
  • Xtracab: 4,905 mm (193.1 in)
  • DLX regular cab (long bed 4WD):4,719 mm (185.8 in)
  • DLX regular cab (4WD): 4,430 mm (174.4 in)
Width 1,689 mm (66.5 in)
Height
  • 1988–91 regular cab: 1,544 mm (60.8 in)
  • 1988–91 regular cab (long bed):1,539 mm (60.6 in)
  • 1988–91 Xtracab (2WD): 1,549 mm (61.0 in)
  • 1988–91 regular cab (long bed 4WD): 1,704 mm (67.1 in)
  • 1988–91 Xtracab (4WD): 1,709 mm (67.3 in)
  • 1991–97 regular cab: 1,590 mm (62.6 in)
  • 1991–97 regular cab: 1,595 mm (62.8 in)
  • 1991–97 Xtracab (4WD): 1,755 mm (69.1 in)
  • 1991–97 regular cab (4WD):1,750 mm (68.9 in)
The next redesign, in 1988, introduced a longer-wheelbase option, 3,099 mm (122 in) rather than 2,616 mm (103 in) for the regular wheelbase. Its one-piece cargo-box walls eliminated the rust-prone seams that were found in earlier models. The V6 Xtracab SR5 earned Motor Trend magazine's Truck of the Year award that year. The Xtra Cabs now featured more room behind the front seats than the last generation which allowed optional jump-seats for rear passengers, a feature more in line with competitors of the time.

In 1991, North American production began at the NUMMI plant in Fremont, California (the VIN on these trucks starts with '4T'), however some trucks sold in the United States during the 1991–1995 model years were still manufactured in Japan (VIN starts with 'JT').

The Hilux received a minor facelift in 1991 (for the 1992 model year), which was a minor grille change and the new Toyota emblem that had been recently adopted.

It was during this generation that Toyota discontinued the Hilux in the United States, replacing it with the new Tacoma for the 1995 model year.[1

Last edited:
Reactions: kbecks13