Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed: Convincing Husband to Go Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 1991, North American production began at the NUMMI plant in Fremont, California (the VIN on these trucks starts with '4T'), however some trucks sold in the United States during the 1991–1995 model years were still manufactured in Japan (VIN starts with 'JT').

The Hilux received a minor facelift in 1991 (for the 1992 model year), which was a minor grille change and the new Toyota emblem that had been recently adopted.

It was during this generation that Toyota discontinued the Hilux in the United States, replacing it with the new Tacoma for the 1995 model year.[1[/QUOTE]

hmmm from Hilux to Tesla, same factory

You might not have read this yet but your State of New Jersey is expanding SuperChargers along the NJ Turnpike. No excuse traveling. I suspect a lot more SuperChargers will be going in on the East Coast making it even easier to get around and get charged quicker.

Tesla signs Supercharger deal with New Jersey Turnpike - Electrek

Let us know how your dinner talk goes.

Being born and raised in Jersey, I may have driven the turnpike about 10 times in my life. I prefer the non-toll alternatives. But I've heard NJ also offers discount toll rates on EZ Pass with an EV on the Turnpike and Parkway, so perhaps I might not try so hard to avoid it anymore.

OEM replacement parts, or not, I am more worried that your husband can't figure out a way to stop a plumbing leak on your car, being a plumber.

I wish it was just a hose issue, haha. It's a hole from rust at the top of the actual tank. No leak when I keep it under 3/4 of a tank so that's what I've been doing for the past few months.

What about a nice long "discussion" AFTER dinner? ;)

It was a good night ;)

How about a $5,000 rebate from your state? Sold.

Seriously though: Youtube..
Rich Rebuilds for the tinkerer inside him.
Dirty Tesla for the everyday.
What’s Inside if he’s still curious...

Came home to him watching a youtube video he found himself. Good news!

Are you certain about this?

I can’t imagine that he has never purchased something that he did not fully and completely understand precisely how it worked. Does he own a smartphone or a computer? If he is technologically inept like you said, I’m guessing he doesn’t know exactly how those things work either.

I guess I just feel like there’s something else that is giving him pause. Keep us updated on how things go.

We talked more last night and you're right, there was more to it. Now it's "just a gut feeling" about putting a lump sum of savings down on a new car - which I was sure to counter with the fact that I need a new car regardless, and anything else we're saving for (like home improvements) would clear out our savings anyway. Plus, yolo right?

And you bought "that"? You really think that's his main concern? He is stalling. I am not sure what for... is your birthday coming up? :D

Definitely not a birthday or anniversary, they both just passed over the past two months. He feels like he's in the clear now that Christmas-Anniversary-Birthday-Valentine's Day are all out of the way haha.

I have only one question, how did you husband import a Toyota Hilux? Also what country are you from?
Fifth generation (N80, N90, N100, N110; 1988–1997)[edit]
‹ The template Infobox automobile is being considered for merging. ›
Fifth generation (N80, N90, N100, N110)

1994–1997 Toyota HiLux 4X4 Diesel
Overview
Also called

Production August 1988–1997
Assembly
Designer Shigeo Asai[16]
Body and chassis
Body style

Layout
Related
Powertrain
Engine

Transmission
  • 4-speed manual
  • 5-speed manual
  • 4-speed automatic
Dimensions
Wheelbase

• Regular cab: 2,616 mm (103.0 in)
  • Regular cab (long bed): 2,850 mm (112.2 in)
  • Xtracab: 3,086 mm (121.5 in)
  • Xtracab V6: 3,096 mm (121.9 in)
Length
  • Regular cab: 4,435 mm (174.6 in)
  • Regular cab (long bed): 4,724 mm (186.0 in)
  • Xtracab: 4,905 mm (193.1 in)
  • DLX regular cab (long bed 4WD):4,719 mm (185.8 in)
  • DLX regular cab (4WD): 4,430 mm (174.4 in)
Width 1,689 mm (66.5 in)
Height
  • 1988–91 regular cab: 1,544 mm (60.8 in)
  • 1988–91 regular cab (long bed):1,539 mm (60.6 in)
  • 1988–91 Xtracab (2WD): 1,549 mm (61.0 in)
  • 1988–91 regular cab (long bed 4WD): 1,704 mm (67.1 in)
  • 1988–91 Xtracab (4WD): 1,709 mm (67.3 in)
  • 1991–97 regular cab: 1,590 mm (62.6 in)
  • 1991–97 regular cab: 1,595 mm (62.8 in)
  • 1991–97 Xtracab (4WD): 1,755 mm (69.1 in)
  • 1991–97 regular cab (4WD):1,750 mm (68.9 in)
The next redesign, in 1988, introduced a longer-wheelbase option, 3,099 mm (122 in) rather than 2,616 mm (103 in) for the regular wheelbase. Its one-piece cargo-box walls eliminated the rust-prone seams that were found in earlier models. The V6 Xtracab SR5 earned Motor Trend magazine's Truck of the Year award that year. The Xtra Cabs now featured more room behind the front seats than the last generation which allowed optional jump-seats for rear passengers, a feature more in line with competitors of the time.

In 1991, North American production began at the NUMMI plant in Fremont, California (the VIN on these trucks starts with '4T'), however some trucks sold in the United States during the 1991–1995 model years were still manufactured in Japan (VIN starts with 'JT').

The Hilux received a minor facelift in 1991 (for the 1992 model year), which was a minor grille change and the new Toyota emblem that had been recently adopted.

It was during this generation that Toyota discontinued the Hilux in the United States, replacing it with the new Tacoma for the 1995 model year.[1

Good question. One of his customers had it sitting in his garage for years. It had less than 60k miles on it as the owner just never drove it and then let it sit. The dude just wanted it out of his garage and sold it to my husband for almost nothing. Don't know how the guy got it originally though!

Wasn’t the Hilux just called “Truck” in the early days just as the MasterAce was just called “Van”

It is literally so basic-looking that when anyone asks I just say he has a black pickup truck because that's literally all it is.

--

For those who have asked, our conversation went well last night! I used a lot of good points brought up in this thread, especially references to other tools he is familiar with and all the benefits of the simplicity of maintenance of an EV. While we were cooking dinner he was watching a Youtube video that he had researched himself - so a very good sign! I showed him some videos shared in here as well. We've surpassed the initial hesitation point and he is much more on board now. He's also tried looking up disgruntled owner testimonies and admitted how insignificant most complains are. He's realizing it really is a no-brainer. I can't wait until we get it ordered and delivered! Thank you everyone for your advice and kind words!

Last edited:
Your husband sounds like several guys I know that are very mechanically inclined and like to tinker on equipment. While I admire their abilities, their “flaw”, if you will, is that they are very hesitant to buy into anything that they can’t fix themselves. They will bemoan the fact that they can’t fix TVs like they could in the 70s, what with all the integrated circuits used now. They will yearn for the days that they could fix their cars with a wrench and elbow grease. So, I get it. They don’t want to be dependent upon someone else for repair. It’s an admirable quality that many times comes from not having much to begin with and so you learn how to get things on the cheap and repairing them on the cheap.

I have been trying to lead by example in buy into battery powered equipment and my Model 3. Prior to my 3, it was my Prius. By showing them they have nothing to fear and everything to gain, their worries and resistance fades. Now I’ve made converts out of some of them and they are getting battery powered equipment and are seriously considering a Tesla.

• Love
Reactions: ellienovember
Short version: I need a new car. I want a Tesla, husband is afraid of the technology. Can I get some quick facts for him on how an EV works?

Longer version: My current car is a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Convertible at 165k miles with a leak in the gas tank that requires a part that has been discontinued. It leaks gas every time I fill the tank. So, I need a new car. Neither my husband nor I have ever bought a car new, always used. His car is a 1995 Toyota Hilux that is in pretty decent shape considering its age, and his previous vehicle was a 1995 Ford Ranger that barely runs but he still won't get rid of despite never driving it. He is a plumber, and grew up with his father being a mechanic, and is very comfortable tinkering with things and fixing things with his hands. But he is technologically inept.

We test drove a Model 3 a few weeks ago and I loved it, and he did as well. I've been looking over our accounts and hunkering down my savings to prep for putting a good payment down and financing the rest for a new M3. I've always managed our finances and since paying off my student loans in January, the monthly payment would fit perfectly fine in my budget. Plus, I want a toy to celebrate that accomplishment. I've been spending a lot of time looking up the benefits of a Tesla, environmental impacts, advantages of EVs vs ICE, and asked a lot my specific questions to our Tesla Associate during the test drive about using the car and maneuvering on the road. I don't necessarily care about the finer details he is fixated on (much like I don't care how my current ICE runs, as long as it does in fact run.)

His main concern: "I just don't understand how it….works." I've told him to do some research like I have, but he still can't seem to grasp what makes the wheels physically move, how there's no transmission or gears, things like that. He's hesitant putting money down on a piece of technology that he can't understand.

Can I get some input on how to slap some sense into him? TIA.

Show him your smile!!!

• Love
You can tell him that when I first saw the interior of a Model 3 with that newfangled TV in the middle of where the dash should be, I said to my wife something like "No way". But she calmly persisted. She convinced me. She showed me: 'lektricity goes in, motor runs! And so we put the deposit down. And then we waited for our dream machine, hand in hand, gazing off into the sunset. It was right after Xmas when some kids in jeans with Tesla shirts drove it to our house. Wow, honey-bun, look at what Santa brought us! And now? And now she doesn't even get to drive it. 'Mwah Ha Ha !

Last edited:
  • Love
So what’s the Verdict? Is it a go or a no go?

Fred

It's a go!

I'll be ordering before end of March! Still need to get the outlet set up for charging, get his '95 Ford Ranger out of the driveway, and see if I have any mechanically-inclined friends that would want to take the Eclipse off my hands once its delivered.

It's a go!

I'll be ordering before end of March! Still need to get the outlet set up for charging, get his '95 Ford Ranger out of the driveway, and see if I have any mechanically-inclined friends that would want to take the Eclipse off my hands once its delivered.
OP - i'm late to the party but to enhance your Tesla-buying experience, make sure you pick up the "essentials" so you're ready to go once it arrives...

if you're going to be using the UMC (included charger) to charge the vehicle daily - which outlet will you be using? 110v is the default and "will get you by" if you drive less than 50 miles/day. i would recommend installing a 240v and probably the standard 14-50 type. if you do this, you will need to order the adapter separately. i had to wait a week to get mine.

floor and trunk mats, especially all-weather are NOT included. i'm not sure if the premium variants still come with "something" but a nice all-weather is going to be superior anyway. pick your favorite brand.

charging cables for your phones, for the center console or a wireless charger will make things easier in the long-run. again, these aren't included.

do you want homelink (garage door opener that's built in to the UI)? that's another $300.

lots of people prefer the vinyl wrap over the piano finish on the center console. it's easy enough to install and doesn't cost much and protects the finish in the long run.

everything else is just preference. screen protectors, paint protective film (PPF), tint, etc. adds lots of cost to the vehicle and aren't "needed" but a lot of people prefer these things. i will say, if you can afford the extra $1500-2000, get the PPF and get the entire front done. you'll have piece of mind.

• Love
Reactions: jonquiljo
... I just had to drop $1500 on a new catalytic converter (parts, labor, and a few rust issues fixed) last month in order to pass the emissions test for my state's inspection, only for the check engine light to remain on due to the minor gas leak.

That's another NJ point that hasn't been mentioned yet - no inspections for EVs.