Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed: Convincing Husband to Go Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ellienovember One of your posts mentioned ordering by the end of March. Here are a couple of points about the buying experience that you should be prepared for.

Tesla is pretty strongly influenced by Wall Street's desire for quarterly results, and that affects when they deliver cars. For the first part of the calendar quarter they build cars for overseas markets and put them on ships. About midway through the quarter they transition to US cars for east coast delivery and put them on trucks. As the quarter draws to a close they work their way west and end up in California. This has the effect of making all the deliveries stack up at the end of the quarter. So while you are trying to place an order, all the Tesla associates will be busy with deliveries and it could be difficult to get one to talk to you.

Placing an order at the end of March could also mean that you don't actually get the car until the end of June. I'm not saying that is definitely the case, but you should be prepared for it and understand the reasons why it happens. This is not a traditional car buying experience where you pick the one you want off the lot and drive it home the same day or the next.

Also because of the end of quarter rush, there are almost always some cars left over that can be had for a discount. If you're flexible with your color and wheel choices, and talk to a Tesla associate during the last month, you could score a deal. So what I'm suggesting is that you pull in your time frame to the beginning of March and talk to those helpful people in New Jersey before they get swamped with EOQ deliveries.

Since this is your first new car purchase, you will be super excited and nervous on delivery day. Let me strongly encourage you to make friends with some local Tesla owners and get one or two of them to go with you to inspect the car. They will know what to look for and they can be dispassionate observers while you will just want to get in the car and drive.

Final thought - use someone's referral code to get your free supercharging miles.

@ellienovember One of your posts mentioned ordering by the end of March. Here are a couple of points about the buying experience that you should be prepared for.

Tesla is pretty strongly influenced by Wall Street's desire for quarterly results, and that affects when they deliver cars. For the first part of the calendar quarter they build cars for overseas markets and put them on ships. About midway through the quarter they transition to US cars for east coast delivery and put them on trucks. As the quarter draws to a close they work their way west and end up in California. This has the effect of making all the deliveries stack up at the end of the quarter. So while you are trying to place an order, all the Tesla associates will be busy with deliveries and it could be difficult to get one to talk to you.

Placing an order at the end of March could also mean that you don't actually get the car until the end of June. I'm not saying that is definitely the case, but you should be prepared for it and understand the reasons why it happens. This is not a traditional car buying experience where you pick the one you want off the lot and drive it home the same day or the next.

Also because of the end of quarter rush, there are almost always some cars left over that can be had for a discount. If you're flexible with your color and wheel choices, and talk to a Tesla associate during the last month, you could score a deal. So what I'm suggesting is that you pull in your time frame to the beginning of March and talk to those helpful people in New Jersey before they get swamped with EOQ deliveries.

Since this is your first new car purchase, you will be super excited and nervous on delivery day. Let me strongly encourage you to make friends with some local Tesla owners and get one or two of them to go with you to inspect the car. They will know what to look for and they can be dispassionate observers while you will just want to get in the car and drive.

Final thought - use someone's referral code to get your free supercharging miles.

Welp, we're doing it today!

We've been talking about it so much this week, it really doesn't make sense to wait any longer.

So excited! And he's feeling pretty good about it now.

Welp, we're doing it today!

We've been talking about it so much this week, it really doesn't make sense to wait any longer.

So excited! And he's feeling pretty good about it now.
Awesome. Look into inventory cars as Tesla tends to be very cyclical regarding deliveries. You might even get a decent discount — Let me know if you need some assistance looking there.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Agreed !

A 240v installation is sweet but does not have to be in place before the car arrives. OP will receive both Fed and NJ tax credits that will cover a large fraction of the EVSE/installation costs

IMO You'll want the NEMA 14-50 outlet ready.... first weekend you decide to take a trip and have work the next day you'll be glad you're not on 110v.

NJ credit is on the table as long as the config is under $55k, but the program will not be funded until July last I heard (new State fiscal year) so there will be a little wait on that one. Still better than waiting on tax filing the following year like I did with my $7500.

No EV sales tax is a great perk in NJ as well...applies to new or used purchases.

Any lastly, no inspection sticker needed for 100% EV's in NJ so we get to save that hassle every few years and have a nice clear windshield view. :)

@ellienovember So what's the model and options ordered?

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
IMO You'll want the NEMA 14-50 outlet ready
Ahh hell, you just had to bring that up ;)

OP can ask or read about home charging options in other threads here later.
I chose to install a weather rated 14-50 socket for the outside of my wall and plug in a 3rd party EVSE from Clipper Creek, but I went that route because we also have a non-Tesla EV. If I was a Tesla only family I would buy the Tesla HPWC which requires a direct wire connection.

The thing is though that in some parts of the country a direct wire connection is a lot more expensive than a 14-50 receptacle and in other places electricians charge about the same so local practices dictate decisions. Only thing I would say for sure to OP is to NOT install a naked 14-50 outside. That would be a safety hazard. The other piece of pretty good advice is that if you go with a pluggable EVSE, it should stay plugged in. The 14-50 receptacles are just not beefy enough to tolerate routine plugging/unplugging at the high power rates that the car draws.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
IMO You'll want the NEMA 14-50 outlet ready.... first weekend you decide to take a trip and have work the next day you'll be glad you're not on 110v.

NJ credit is on the table as long as the config is under $55k, but the program will not be funded until July last I heard (new State fiscal year) so there will be a little wait on that one. Still better than waiting on tax filing the following year like I did with my $7500.

No EV sales tax is a great perk in NJ as well...applies to new or used purchases.

Any lastly, no inspection sticker needed for 100% EV's in NJ so we get to save that hassle every few years and have a nice clear windshield view. :)

@ellienovember So what's the model and options ordered?

M3 standard range, no autopilot, went blue with black interior. May upgrade to the SP+ if I find the need for extra mileage but I doubt I would based on my current usage.

With the timing of the order they said most likely before end of March for delivery, possibly even earlier. So much sooner than I thought! I can't believe it's happening so quickly. :)

M3 standard range, no autopilot, went blue with black interior. May upgrade to the SP+ if I find the need for extra mileage but I doubt I would based on my current usage.

With the timing of the order they said most likely before end of March for delivery, possibly even earlier. So much sooner than I thought! I can't believe it's happening so quickly. :)
In reality they can just pick an SR+ that’s sitting around and software lock it.

Good to know. I thought I was sold on the black but I might be more open to others. Not a red fan, or a white, but grey or blue are possibilities. I've personally not seen the blue in real life though - seems like it would be a little flashy, like turn-heads noticeable?

It's a pretty dark blue. So I wouldn’t call it flashy. The red is a bit flashy, but I decided to get it anyway because every car I've ever owned has been blue and I wanted a change. But blue was a close second choice for me.

• Love
Reactions: ellienovember
So long as I am throwing out advice, everybody should learn and practice this bit of good electricity use:

1. DO NOT wiggle plugs into and out of sockets. That just loosens the connection over time and is a fire hazard at high power draws.
2. NEVER pull on cords; grasp the handle
I dunno. I always wiggle/shake it 3 times. So you know...electricity doesn’t dribble.

• Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I dunno. I always wiggle/shake it 3 times.
I was told many years ago that if you shake more than twice you're playing with it. :)

"So you know...electricity doesn’t dribble."

The idea of dribbling electricity reminds me of James Thurber's essay about his elderly aunt, at about the turn of the 20th century, whose gas lighting had been converted to electricity. He said that she put corks in empty light bulb sockets so the electricity wouldn't leak out.

The car is a blast to drive but my experience is that the stated “range” is not accurate at all. Many times I’ve driven 20 actual miles and used up 50+ miles of “range”. This doesn’t create any problems for me, but it could for some. I am no Tesla geek and probably do everything wrong when it comes to maximizing range, but why get a car that is fun to drive and then drive it in an un-fun manner? Also, their corporate customer service is beyond terrible.

The car is a blast to drive but my experience is that the stated “range” is not accurate at all. Many times I’ve driven 20 actual miles and used up 50+ miles of “range”. This doesn’t create any problems for me, but it could for some. I am no Tesla geek and probably do everything wrong when it comes to maximizing range, but why get a car that is fun to drive and then drive it in an un-fun manner? Also, their corporate customer service is beyond terrible.
I love driving my car and I get excellent energy economy.
And my experiences with Tesla corporate have been absolutely outstanding.