Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would love some advice here as I am new to the X community. I currently own an S and have an early reservation for a Model 3. We have 2 growing kids and slowly aging in-laws that is making me re-think my decision about the model 3. I am now thinking of getting a used X as that will be more practical in the long run. Specifically, I am looking at this car:

2016 Used Model X 60D
12k miles.
7 seater. Black leather
Solid Black Paint
20″ Silver Wheels
Black Leather Seats
Black Headliner
Seven Seat Interior
Supercharger Enabled
Autopilot Convenience Features (AP 1)
Premium Upgrades Package
Smart Air Suspension
Towing Package
Price: $70K

I realize that with the 60 Kwh battery I will only get around 170 miles per charge on the highway but that mostly works for us. I do have the option to upgrade to a 75D if needed, though not ready to shell out $4500 for it right now. Unfortunately this car cannot be uncorked for performance :(

My question is if this is a decent deal? Somehow i feel it is over priced? It is a LOT of money for us but would rather get something that works for us at the get go vs. getting a Model 3 and then regretting that decision a few years later. Of course I can expect depreciation on this car to be astronomical but that's another discussion :)

Thanks for your feedback.

Would love some advice here as I am new to the X community. I currently own an S and have an early reservation for a Model 3. We have 2 growing kids and slowly aging in-laws that is making me re-think my decision about the model 3. I am now thinking of getting a used X as that will be more practical in the long run.

We waited for a 3, got impatient and bought an S and also have an X. So hopefully I can help you out. The S for us was plenty practical with 2 kids and coming from a minivan...until my inlaw and my parents came into play. Then we needed the extra room. Since then, we drive almost exclusively the X and it has been an adequate minivan replacement. So yes this makes sense.

Specifically, I am looking at this car:

Seven Seat Interior
Autopilot Convenience Features (AP 1)
Price: $70K

The price seems decent, and I'm keeping the list to what I can comment on. I previously had a 7 and it is good if you're hauling more people than stuff. If you need practicality to haul stuff, it can be pain. (ie. large dog crate) but it's more ok than not. Also, I may get blasted for this but as a previous owner of an AP1 and a current owner of AP2; I still prefer the AP1 but only because it was more convenient (ie. automatic wipers) The actual act of autopiloting is pretty even nowadays.

I realize that with the 60 Kwh battery I will only get around 170 miles per charge on the highway but that mostly works for us. I do have the option to upgrade to a 75D if needed, though not ready to shell out $4500 for it right now.

The 60kwh battery can be plenty depending on your usage. Note I went from a 75D AP1 to a 60D AP2 and I have a 40 mi commute each way in a region that gets all 4 seasons.

Unfortunately this car cannot be uncorked for performance :(

I'm not so sure about that. Refer to this thread. In it, there were other members who thought they weren't eligible. The reality is that you won't show up as eligible as a 60D, it will only show after the upgrade - specifically for the X.

We waited for a 3, got impatient and bought an S and also have an X. So hopefully I can help you out. The S for us was plenty practical with 2 kids and coming from a minivan...until my inlaw and my parents came into play. Then we needed the extra room. Since then, we drive almost exclusively the X and it has been an adequate minivan replacement. So yes this makes sense.

The price seems decent, and I'm keeping the list to what I can comment on. I previously had a 7 and it is good if you're hauling more people than stuff. If you need practicality to haul stuff, it can be pain. (ie. large dog crate) but it's more ok than not. Also, I may get blasted for this but as a previous owner of an AP1 and a current owner of AP2; I still prefer the AP1 but only because it was more convenient (ie. automatic wipers) The actual act of autopiloting is pretty even nowadays.

The 60kwh battery can be plenty depending on your usage. Note I went from a 75D AP1 to a 60D AP2 and I have a 40 mi commute each way in a region that gets all 4 seasons.

I'm not so sure about that. Refer to this thread. In it, there were other members who thought they weren't eligible. The reality is that you won't show up as eligible as a 60D, it will only show after the upgrade - specifically for the X.
Thanks for the help, what about QA issues? I have been reading the X forums and sounds pretty scary getting into an X specifically?

Thanks for the help, what about QA issues? I have been reading the X forums and sounds pretty scary getting into an X specifically?

Posted about that too in this thread: new model X actual reliability, if you live far from a service center

In short, my S has had more issues than either of my X's (combined even) Over 20,000 miles and I've only had it to the SC for an alignment and an AC condenser replacement. The reality is they share a lot of parts, and either could be problematic - or not. You're essentially rolling the same dice you did with your S.

I love the X as a kid+grandparent hauler.

Why not sell the S, buy a more fully-loaded X, and add the 3 later? Then your family car has battery to spare (e.g. useful for road trips), and you've got a smaller commuter car on the side. Just brainstormin'!

I love the X as a kid+grandparent hauler.

Why not sell the S, buy a more fully-loaded X, and add the 3 later? Then your family car has battery to spare (e.g. useful for road trips), and you've got a smaller commuter car on the side. Just brainstormin'!

Depending on the config and age of the kids the S still has a lot of usefulness. We use the rear facing seats regularly to pick up other kids. (Wife picks up, I drop off) and wouldn't be able to do that in an S and wouldn't really need 2x X's. The rear seats are also not the largest as it is, I couldn't imagine a rear facing car seat in a 3 without crushing a front seat passenger.

Also things of consideration.
- Depending on what model and year of the S, you might only break even by moving from an S to a 3 - especially so if you consider delivery time and potential loss of tax credit.

And just nitpicking here but the layout of a S and X are the same and make for an easy transition. Not so much with a 3 and an X and may be a minor annoyance for muscle memory.

Reactions: dmeyer
Depending on the config and age of the kids the S still has a lot of usefulness. We use the rear facing seats regularly to pick up other kids. (Wife picks up, I drop off) and wouldn't be able to do that in an S and wouldn't really need 2x X's. The rear seats are also not the largest as it is, I couldn't imagine a rear facing car seat in a 3 without crushing a front seat passenger.

Right - my wife does pickup and drop off, so we could dedicate the X to the kids. (Could, except my wife knows that I cry when I have to drive the Prius, and she is kind and generous).

And just nitpicking here but the layout of a S and X are the same and make for an easy transition. Not so much with a 3 and an X and may be a minor annoyance for muscle memory.

I think it's a really good point.