Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on my near future purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All. My work commute is approximately 100 miles a day (round-trip.) I am a firefighter in Florida but now I will be working days M-F. My budget is telling me to go with the Model S. If you could do it all over again....share the knowledge!
I.E. Performance vs. regular (I'm not a speed guy), interior (really? the white stays clean?) Exterior (no issues with keeping the front end bug free? Lovebugs?) dual motor...I have lots of questions before I order. I'm sure even that will generate some opinions. Thank you in advance.

I have a 100 mile R/T daily in the PNW in a Model 3 Performance - never any worries on range, even with side trips (pickup lunch, dinner, drop kids off somewhere, etc.) and even in the winter with rain and cold where my consumption is up to 330 wh/mi.

If you want an S, get an S. If you are worried if the 3 will do it, no need to worry.

Reactions: puckpurnell
Hello All. My work commute is approximately 100 miles a day (round-trip.) I am a firefighter in Florida but now I will be working days M-F. My budget is telling me to go with the Model S. If you could do it all over again....share the knowledge!
I.E. Performance vs. regular (I'm not a speed guy), interior (really? the white stays clean?) Exterior (no issues with keeping the front end bug free? Lovebugs?) dual motor...I have lots of questions before I order. I'm sure even that will generate some opinions. Thank you in advance.

If "you are not a speed guy" then you might consider a model 3 long range, or even a model y if you think you may need to carry "gear". I personally would not recommend a SR vehicle to someone with a 100 mile daily commute (who could likely be in a hurry to get to work). That 100 mile commute driven at "regular" freeway speeds would likely take 130-140 miles off the odometer and you wont be charging to full each day.

Said another way, that commute would likely cycle the battery from 90% to 20-30% every day. Much better to buy the Long Range model 3 unless you want a bigger (more expensive) vehicle if buying new.

TL ; DR consider a all wheel drive model 3, or an all wheel drive model y if you want more space. The S vs 3 question is more like "do I want a bmw 5-7 series, or a bmw 3-4 series?" Depends on the size of vehicle you want, and your budget.

Reactions: puckpurnell
I have a dual motor long range Model 3 with white interior..
The dual motor handles great on all road conditions. I'm not a speed guy, either the pickup on the dual motor is amazingly fast.
The white seats are easy to keep clean, even tough stains like ink can be cleaned out (with a little effort).
Don't have a lot of bugs here, but when I drive cross country do pick them up. I applied a ceramic coat and topped it off with Zaino products polish. Produces a glossy, smooth finish that's easy to keep clean.

I would go with long range (easier if you ever want to do a long trip) and easier to keep at 80% charge and still have plenty of range, dual motor, no performance. I have black seats so can't speak to the white. Ceramic coating or PPF if bugs are a concern. Whichever way you go, enjoy.

Safe bet is the long range M3. However, you could make a standard range work since you can charge at work (and especially if you could charge at home). Each leg of your trip would only consume 20-25% of a standard range’s battery and you’d have no cold-weather range loss in FL.

White interior is freaking awesome, but they’re not perfectly stain-proof. I’ve had mine for a couple weeks (had black for a year prior to that). I have kids and everything has wiped away easily with baby wipes except a small shoe print on the drivers side. Apparently, my youngest climbed up into the front seat at some point. I’ve gone after it with all-purpose cleaner and dish soap. It’s fading and I believe I’ll eventually get it gone, but not without some work.

If you end up dirty a lot of days (say from soot or anything else dark/greasy) I would say to wipe your seats regularly. Probably every few days.

Cant offer advice on the exterior. I live in GA, but I was born in FL. There is no hell quite like love bug mating seasons. Maybe a ceramic coating would help, but I think regular washing is really the only sure fire remedy.

Either way you go, congrats and welcome to the Tesla family!

Last edited:
Go for new heat pump model 3 or y, sr will work for you. A used s from Tesla can be had for low 30s, especially at the end of this fiscal quarter and if new updated s comes out. Have you driven them all? That may instantly solve this

So I have friends that are volunteer firefighters and the one thing I know about them is that they are more prepared than a boy scout- and that usually means extra stuff in their car. Likewise I see you're in Florida... So I would suggest maybe a Model Y Standard Range...
It has over 240 miles of range and is about $40k (without extras) which puts it REALLY close to a Model 3 (like just $3k more for the MY). Now the standard range is only rear wheel drive- but you're in FL so you're fine. BUT you'll have a motorized, big hatchback with fold down seats and a ton of head and leg room in the back seat for your fellow fire fighters. The underneath trunk is larger than the M3 (so is the frunk) and you get these 2 nice cubbies on either side of the hatchback. Just thinking you may want more hauling space.

OH, and if you are thinking standard range vs long range- you may want to stick with M3/MY because unless you get the newest of Model S you will have longer supercharging times- and if you ever decide to take a standard range across the state, you'll want faster supercharging times.

Good Luck and thanks for being a fire fighter!

Last edited:
Get a Model 3 Long Range. I have a new one with 1200 miles on the clock and it is an amazing drive. Plenty fast enough and the performance is amazing so I don't think you really need the performance version.

I do 60 miles a day approx and can do 3 days without charging if needed without range worries which I think if I had the short range I would be charging daily.

We have both S and 3. Take a test drive in an S. The air suspension makes a huge difference on the road. S is by far my preferred vehicle for racking up miles. 3 is great for urban scenarios and sports car experience.

White interior is easy to clean. Both cars have bounced back from blood, grease, eye liner, ice cream, candy, coffee and other challenges.

In general, get the highest capacity battery you can afford. Allows you to do more things with fewer worries.

Consider a recent lease return car.

Finally, thank you for the risks you take and the skills you tap every work day to save lives and protect property. I couldn’t do what you do, am deeply grateful folks like you are able and willing.

Reactions: FastEddieC
If you're a firefighter, I'd go for the Y. The extra cargo room and hatch practicality will be appreciated.

I live in TX, and we have lots of love bugs. I have had Model 3 Dual Motor LR and now Performance. My minimum trip per day is 90 miles at mostly highway speeds. In the winter, I use about 50% of the battery during a "normal" day, in the summer, it's more like low 40%. I do drive to job sites on some days and do upwards of 140-160 miles and use more battery those days, but I just charge to 90 the night before and have no issues.

You don't NEED AWD but to be honest, with this much torque, it's really nice to have. I would shoot for a Long Range AWD.

White does take some upkeep but it cleans up quickly with the right products, such as a dedicated automotive interior cleaner or vinyl seat cleaner. Neither of those are very expensive, less than $20 for a bottle which will last a while.

Good luck!