Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on selling MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've got a reservation (over a year old now!) for a Model Y Performance that I don't think I want any more. Does anyone have any advice or experience on the best way of selling it on in the UK? I've never sold a car before, let alone before taking delivery of it! I don't know what subtleties there are about registered owners and vehicle history and stuff.

Any advice or sharing of experience would be much appreciated. It was due to be a cash purchase through my company.

I've decided that I'll stick with my Model X (getting a MCU2 upgrade) until we all find out if and when ChuckleVision TeslaVision will work for things like parking assist, and maybe also hold out for that gorgeous new Midnight Cherry Red, in case that ever comes to the UK.

You've only got a reservation, not an actual car so you can't sell it. Just request a cancellation from Tesla.
Thanks! I bought the car before prices went up, so there's the opportunity to make a small profit from someone desperate to not wait longer for a new MYP. Cancelling is the fallback option.

There was a RHD MYP on AutoTrader not so long ago, and none have been delivered, so other people are pre-emptively trying to sell them, it seems.

Thanks! I bought the car before prices went up, so there's the opportunity to make a small profit from someone desperate to not wait longer for a new MYP. Cancelling is the fallback option.

There was a RHD MYP on AutoTrader not so long ago, and none have been delivered, so other people are pre-emptively trying to sell them, it seems.
Well, you'll have to wait until they're here, buy it and flip it.

With Tesla giving up on trying to supply the UK with MYP from Berlin the wait time is now only 1 quarter for a new order so I cannot see people paying over the odds for a secondhand one - as you paid less you could probably afford to undercut the new purchase price and get a sale.

EAP is the issue for me - that is essentially a worthless option on the secondhand market so you risk losing its value unless you are lucky enough to find someone who really wants it.

If you are likely to still want to buy in future, just defer the purchase and buy newer spec at lower price in future or just cancel if specs don’t work out.

Long time since I purchased a vehicle through company (a legitimate use rather than a perk) but you would need to look at the tax position if just flipping it.

What this OP Appears to be dancing around asking / saying directly seems to be (at least to me)

"How can I sell this reservation, because I see other people selling reservations for vehicles they havent picked up yet in the US. How do I do that in the UK"?

So, for the OP, If thats the question, I will just state that while you definitely see people doing that, they are doing so against the things they have agreed to in their tesla orders. Tesla doesnt allow this (people still try to do it anyway).

To get around the fact that tesla does not allow reservation transfers, people have placed orders on dummy tesla accounts so they can give the entire account away. I doubt you did this, because it requires pre planning the fact that you are not actually going to buy the car but instead try to flip a reservation. If you DID put your order on a separate tesla account, you could theoretically try to sell it online and give the entire account away.

If you didnt, then in order to get the order off your own account, you will need to have an "In" with someone inside tesla who is willing to break their own internal rules on assisting people with doing something like this. If you dont have an "in" with someone from tesla who is going to break teslas own internal rules on reservation transfers, and you didnt order this on some separate burner account that you can give away, then your only options are to cancel the reservation, or get the car delivered and flip it (dealing with all the tax implications that may come with that there, of which I have no idea).

If the above is NOT what you are asking (selling a reservation), then ignore everything I said above.

Thanks for the insights, all.

EAP is the issue for me - that is essentially a worthless option on the secondhand market

How so? Is it tied to the user account?

If the above is NOT what you are asking (selling a reservation

Sort of :) I'm aware that it's a thing that people do, but I wasn't even fully aware of the mechanics of how it's done in the US, or how it relates to the agreements. So whilst I wasn't asking specifically how to do that, your explanation was useful.